cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I would suggest Wi-Fi Calling be handled on Public Mobile if they got it.

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Here is how I would like the Wi-Fi Calling to work with PM. Please read the spoiler below for the current truth about it!

Spoiler
These are all predictions of what Wi-Fi calling will look like on PM. Not fully true... yet!

Also note: neither TELUS or Koodo currently have WI-Fi calling outside of Canada... sucks. It'll be nice to have it in Canada because the US cellular infrastructure is way better there (mmWave, 5G SA, etc.)

• Have it work internationally, but only for receiving SMS texts for 2FA verification. Otherwise when sending an SMS won't send or a call incoming will put it to voicemail, if you try to make a call it will probably say 'Public Mobile here, you cannot make Wi-Fi calls outside of Canada or the United States without an add on' then it will fail to call.
  • No US roaming add-on? No Wi-Fi calling. It may say 'Public Mobile here, you do not currently have a U.S. roaming add-on to make a call. Dial *611 or go to myaccount.publicmobile.ca to purchase a US roaming add-on.' Then it will fail to complete the call.
  • If you are currently using a VPN and Public Mobile knows that you are using it but cannot disable it, they may say 'Public Mobile here, we cannot complete your call since you are currently using a Virtual Private Network. Please disable the VPN and try the call again' Then it'll fail to complete the call.

It is somewhat of what Koodo & Telus use at the moment.

Otherwise, it will work normally in Canada or in the US with a roaming add on.

A little reddit comment from the Public Mobile reddit backs this up a bit with CS_Agent comfirmation

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 7.30.21 PM.png

2 REPLIES 2

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, I hope so!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @fixin I think not many carriers has wifi calling overseas, they want to charge roaming

but yes, would be nice PM has that 

Need Help? Let's chat.