cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dummy Phones anyone?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Anyone here have a dummy flip phone and works well with Public Mobile?

I was thinking of buying this from the US. Nokia 2780 Flip Unlocked  

It has LTE/4G and VoLTE as well. If on the $15 unlimited talk/text with no data, what's the point of using a smartphone? 

I think I heard of one person here with PM had a Cat S22 and worked well with PM but no VoLTE so doesn't work in the US when they travelled. 

I'm interested in hearing any feedback. Unless I will be the test guinea pig to try this phone on the PM network. LOL

12 REPLIES 12

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

How are your senior relatives liking the Jethro so far @hairbag1  ??  I'm hoping it works very well with PM as the next time I head to the US I'll buy a 14 day add on to try it in the US and see how it goes. Just for giggles.

No prob's so far. Seems to be as simple as it gets. With the Jethro on the PM $15 plan, she can dial out and answer the phone w/o problems. She's finally decided to cancel the landline too ! (She hasn't asked how to text so that's another good sign) After several weeks in service, I'd say it's a good investment for under $100. I'd gladly recommend the Jethro for any senior use who isn't interested in all the bells and whistles.

So I ordered both last night. The flip and the Jethro. My neighbor has a Samsung 8 and somehow he erased all his contacts. Sadly he hadn't backed his phone up since 2017 so his wife asked me to get him a dummy phone. So I'm going to let him try these two phones on PM. I'm going to try them too as I have the $15 unlimited talk text plan and this would be just fine for me. 

How are your senior relatives liking the Jethro so far @hairbag1  ??  I'm hoping it works very well with PM as the next time I head to the US I'll buy a 14 day add on to try it in the US and see how it goes. Just for giggles.

OK. Now I'm added another one to the mix.

CAT S22 Rugged Flip Phone 4G LTE 

I know I said no to it before but there are folks on Reddit saying you can add the textnow app to it and use it that way. So now I'm really tempted to get this one. LOL  But I do have your Jethro bookmarked as a favorite to look at still.

@Chalupa_Batman 

I hear you... The only benefit of smart phones I see as being able to use few apps making my life easier.

Hey @Meow pretty much the same thing as @hairbag1 mentioned. $15 unlimited talk and text no data. Why use a smart phone when you can dummy it up. I already have the plan so I'd just need to swap my SIM card to the dummy phone. BUT... I'd want to make sure it worked in the US too. Granted I have my Telus which as US talk text data included and I have my TextNow SIM which is great in the US too, granted I'd need to use my smartphone to use that but eh...   I think for me, I like texting thing. I like being a beta tester on stuff. And let's face it, we do get a lot of questions about the use of dummy phones here on PM so...  let's test and play! 🙂

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Ha. I was actually looking at that. I was also looking at this one too now... 

Chalupa_Batman_1-1720055171881.png

I also saw that one during my search. I just didn't want to worry about a hinge breaking as my senior relative can be a bit .......ham-handed shall we say !!   😊

@Meow 

I was able to successfully activate a new account for a senior relative. I downloaded the PM app to my iPhone, set up the new account, then deleted app. I used a gmail alias for new account and deleted the new number from eversafe. Now the security code always comes to my PM email address rather than the dumbphone, so I can manage the new account for relative. I can report that it works most excellently and relative has caught on how to dial any number. The PM $15 plan has no data to confuse relative and texting is waayyy to complex for relative. It's only been a coupla weeks but I'd highly recommend the Jethro SC490 4G LTE bar phone to anyone looking for a simple, easy to use cellphone.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Look at aliexpress. They a have bunch of cheap dumb phones. Even small as kid's palm.

But how are you going to activate account without an app that is another story...

Why would you want dumb phone at all?

Ha. I was actually looking at that. I was also looking at this one too now... 

Chalupa_Batman_1-1720055171881.png

@Chalupa_Batman 

not a flip but a bar phone...Jethro 4G, comes volte enabled right outta the box.  Phone and chrager for under $100 on Amazon with FAST delivery recently.

jethro.png

I agree. I've been doing a lot of research on this phone as well and I'm liking it more and more. 

It would be great to hear from others who have flip phones which ones they have and how they work on PM.

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Chalupa_Batman 

i did some research online, this phone has boh the 4G and 3G channels needed here.  So , you are good with this phone.  Go for it

Need Help? Let's chat.