cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you make and new year’s resolutions? And, how’s it going??

Jovi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am embarrassed to admit this but I didn’t quit smoking 😞

I swear I have made more failed attempts than anyone alive!  If you have any good tips, please send them my way, I could use all the help I can get!!  🙂

And, after I smoke what’s left in my pack, I am going to quit for good!

Wish me luck 🍀

36 REPLIES 36

Jovi

@hairbag1 

Quit day is Feb. 11th!

Thanks for checking 😃

@Jovi....

just checking in on your resolution to attempt to try to see if you could decide to quit the cigerts.

Give us the good news ...how many days without a cig ?  😊

Jovi

@SabrinaGalactic 

I tried Champix ages ago and didn’t sleep for five nights but felt like I could run a marathon!  Lol 

And that’s great that you managed to quit!

Good luck with your resolutions 😃

Jovi

@darlicious 

LOL!   I like the drop off in the wilderness option!! That would totally work 😃

SabrinaGalactic

I failed many times too, nicorette and cold turkey never worked, what worked for me was a stop smoking medication called champix, they were actual pills that got rid of cravings! They stopped making champix but I bet they have way better meds now!

My goals were to meditate and do earthing and yoga daily, um nope lol maybe I’ll try again 

@Jovi 

Make sure you stock up on some herbal cigarettes....and not have any demon weed ones around. There's always the drop you off in the wilderness option. It takes 3 weeks to walk to town so by the time you get there you'll be over the worst of your nicotene cravings....

Jovi

Almost made it through the day, sigh.

I chose another quit day in Feb to give myself time to learn new yoga routine.  That’s how I quit last time...

Thanks for checking in!!! 😃

@Jovi 

How many let in your pack? Smoke them or flush them before you go to sleep. In the morning you're a non-smoker...have an herbal tea with your egg white and spinach omelette. lol You're ggggggreat!!

Jovi

@hairbag1 

Yes, I have tried the patch and nicotine gum.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me.

Thanks, I will lean on a higher power!

And congrats, you have quit for a long time!! That’s great 😃 

@Jovi 

May I tweak @hairbag1 suggestion of a few peanuts to a handful of mixed nuts that includes a brazil nut (1 contains an entire days worth of selenium),some almonds ( high in fibre), hazelnuts ( vitamin E and folate), walnuts (antioxidants), pistachios (B6, potassium and thiamin), cashews (iron and magnesium), pecans (B3 and plant sterols) then round out that handful with some peanuts and macadamia nuts and you have a crunchy snack that also contains calcium, vitamin A, protein, folic acid, niacin, alpha - linolenic acid and zinc.

@Jovi wrote:

Oh yeah!   I am quitting for good this weekend!! 😃

And, I have stocked up on fruits & veggies.

Thanks for the great tips 👍

I was a heavy smoker until 2004 when I finally was able to find the strength to quit for good. I tried quitting on several occasions but was never able to get past a couple weeks.

Good idea is to consult with your doc.

Have you thought about a nicotine replacement regimen ? I used the patches and they seem to lessen the cravings. If you do try them...follow directions provided. One side effect of the patches that I experienced was vivid technicolor dreams...kind of enjoyed them actually !

I did also try the Champix but had some side effects that weren't pleasant.

Practice deep breathing from time to time. Your body / lungs are healing and the exercise will do them good. Go for walks...rain or shine. 

Get a fridge full of celery, carrots, apples and oranges. A few peanuts wouldn't hurt.

Stay clear of alcohol for a few months.

One last piece of advise...if you have a relationship with a "Higher Power"...lean on him/her/it.

Good luck.

Jovi

Oh yeah!   I am quitting for good this weekend!! 😃

And, I have stocked up on fruits & veggies.

Thanks for the great tips 👍

SparkleHeart82

@Jovi anytime. We're here for support. Keep me posted. 😊

@Jovi 

I am going to give it another go this weekend! 😃

You're setting yourself up for failure with that statement. You should be saying :

"I am quitting for good this weekend. Nothing will stop me. I will be a nonsmoker."

"I am smarter than my brain! I know I am!"

Sorry if I have use the tough love.....I only have your best interests at heart...and a healthy heart. You should probably cut back on the salt and eat more green leafy vegetables while you're at it......

Jovi

@stevenanto 

I wish!!! 
@darlicious  is like a chef!!!  She’s an amazing cook and I hope to pig out on something she’s made one day! 😃

Jovi

@SparkleHeart82 

Thanks so much for the encouragement! 😃

Jovi

@darlicious 

I am going to give it another go this weekend! 😃

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jovi Speaking of eating healthy it looks like @darlicious can make some really good food for you. Maybe she offers Uber eats lol

@Jovi 

Your brain already outsmarted you?!! You need more prep time....positive mental reinforcement.

......and some herbal cigarettes. That way when you "fail" you really haven't. You trick your brain into thinking its getting what it really wants a cigarette full of that evil weed containing nicotene. Honestly it really helps because you get everything else that goes having a cigarette except the nicotene and eventually the brain just kind of gives up having that desperate urge to smoke because it stops associating smoking and nicotene together.

SparkleHeart82

@Jovi You're going to do it. You can quit!

Jovi

Congrats for quitting for almost 10 years!!  That’s great 😃 

Still working on it...  learning some new yogic breathing techniques and going eat healthier.

SparkleHeart82

Nicorette, a supportive group of family and friends, and a whole lot of willpower did it for me. My dad's cousin dying a horrible death from smoking-related cancer was my wake up call. 

SparkleHeart82

Quitting smoking is a very difficult thing to do and it took me several tries before I kicked the habit for good. Will be smoke-free 10 years March 15th. You got this!

Jovi

@darlicious 

Lol.  Thanks, better not, too tempting ...

Lol...ironically you have to go to a smoke shop, cigar shop or head shop. Just google it for your area.

Jovi

@darlicious 

Sage cigs sound good!  Where do you get them?

And thanks again, I will enjoy my last bunch!!  : )

@Jovi 

You're welcome! Remember....you are smarter than your brain! And nicotene cravings only last 90 seconds. Enjoy that last cigarette it has to last a lifetime so have one more if you need to.....

Yeah....."herbal hand rolled cigarettes".....lol! The sage cigarettes are for work the other ones are for home. 

Jovi

@darlicious 

Thank you so much for the tips!  : )

I have another date picked out, this Saturday, and have Monday off so that will give me three days off to get over the worst of it.  Tuesday is a training day so it will get me out of my regular work day.  I don't smoke that much, less than half a pack a day - hopefully withdrawals will be minimal.  

Herbal cigs are a great idea...

@Jovi 

Quitting smoking is a tough one.... trust me I know I've been there and done that. I quit May 26th 2008. So I can share with you what worked for me. It starts with picking a date. Once you do that spend the next three weeks to a month verbally reinforcing your intention several times a day out loud. Tell your friends and family and talk about it....a lot. Tell yourself and others how determined you are to succeed. If you are a heavy smoker slowly cut back....one less cigarette a day. Think twice before you light a cigarette. Put it down and do something else. When my late partner quit ( about 5 years after I did.) he would announce I'm going for a smoke and go outside but instead of smoking he would play plants vs zombies or angry birds on his phone. But while you are in this prep stage don't deny yourself you don't want to quit wishing you had another cigarette.

When it comes to the day before the big one you can smoke right up until you go to sleep....no matter the time. But make sure you get rid of all access to cigarettes once you hit the sack. No ashtrays, no cigarette butts , no other smokers in the house and if you do have another smoker have them hide any evidence of cigarettes or smoking from you for at least 3 days. When you wake up the next day you are a nonsmoker. After 8 hours 97% of nicotine has left your body you have to think like a non smoker and use your new mantra to help you thru the nic fits....

" I am smarter than my brain!" Your brain is going to constantly try to trick you into just having one little puff. You have to outsmart your brain. Remind yourself that cigarettes are like heroin. Would you have one little poke? Of course not! The next 3 days is the hardest 3 so if you can have those 3 days off even better because you wont function like normal. But you can have a back up alternative. The weaker the better but set yourself up with a smoking alternative. That can be clove cigarettes, herbal cigarettes or bc's common cash crop. When you just really need to smoke something then do it....just not tobacco or anything with nicotene in it. After a few puffs you'll probably put it out but you will have satisfied that smoke craving without using a highly addictive substance because you are smarter than your brain! Get thru those 3 days and your next hurdle is three weeks....then three months and finally three years!

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jovi I have been getting to spend plenty of time with my family since last January. I left one of my jobs that took many hours exactly one year ago. Right before Covid hit, then the job got completely shut down as it had to do with weddings and events. Got lucky there 

Need Help? Let's chat.