cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And so it begins....the rumours are true about koodo taking over public mobile's retail marketplace

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Well it looks like the rumours are true.....I was wondering why I hadn't seen a public mobile promotion from CCS in awhile....when I just received an email from them promoting a koodo bonus data promotion of 2gb for 12 months on the $15 plan (which is unusual and the website says on the $25+ plans?!!)

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/saving-plans/products/1st-month-savings-with-koodo-prep...

Since CCS has never had koodo promos before....this is obviously the beginning of the transition of koodo taking over the public mobile retail marketplace. The prepaid "3G" plans are identical to public mobile's but they also are offering 4G plans. And a new twist a $50 refer a friend reward for both the referred customer and the referrer!

https://choosehappy.koodomobile.com/refer/bc/

Is this the beginning of the end of public mobile as we know it? Price hikes and a watered down rewards program? 

The federal government's announcement of a change in direction for the CRTC to open the mobile industry landscape to real MVNO's to spur competition and lower plan  pricing for Canadian consumers by dropping the requirement of MVNO's entering the market to invest in their own networks is a positive sign that enough is enough.....the big three has had enough time to self regulate and offer competitive marketing instead of screwing over their customers by their need for greed!  Once they appoint a new chairperson we should see these policy objectives move forward and much faster pace than before under Ian Scott.

My founding member(ships) with dot mobile are looking pretty good right now in the wake of the 30% rate hike to the $10 50/50 plan and public mobile/telus's refusal to back down or even negotiate despite breaking their own terms of service.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

14 REPLIES 14

___
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I hope not. 🥺

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI 

Yes I read that too....but that was before the federal government decided to replace Ian Millar and push forward the policy directives for the CRTC to abide by.....

https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-science-economic-development/news/2022/05/summary-of-the-governm...

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious don't get your hopes up about dotmobile. 

They mentioned somewhere that it's basically the end not too long ago. They'll still try to fight for the right to become a carrier in canada but they talked about moving onto international service, and mabey service in parts of canada with the small networks they have agreements with. 

@darlicious, yes I was on my phone and edited the post and added two words maybe that will be a bit clearer?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

Huh? Are you on your phone? Your last post is a little hard to understand?

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

@darlicious what only numbers, calculations and statements you provide are accurate?  Ok take my reward out of it as I was speaking for the general population of PM not just those on the previous $10 plan and used a $40 plan to base my calculations.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

Please......!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious that $20 isn't guaranteed, PM can remove that just like your community reward and it is 67.5%. I was only calculating loyalty and auto-pay just as you had

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

What do you mean you don't have a 70% guaranteed discount? $2+$5"+$20=$27 ?!!

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Founding members get a free unlimited texts/calls plan and only pay for Data-On-Tap that if I recall never expires and can be gifted....from what I remember.

Are you talking about rewards? That can be taken away at anytime? If we are talking about unearned rewards then the rate hike wipes out 75% of my rewards! $2 for Auto pay and $2 for loyalty=$4 - $3=$1 Now is that fair? Because the referral rewards and the community reward I have earned and public mobile has earned many times over from me....equating the rewards discount value to the cost of the plan is unfair. You have a guaranteed $27 discount on the monthly cost of your plan so if you want to play fairsees....that marginally ($1) less than the same 70% guaranteed discount I will eventually earn. So to be fair your plan justifiably should be $52/30 days. Then we're even more or less....?

@darlicious  On my plan I can't get to a guaranteed 70% discount, so if the whole thing is about fairness my question is "should rewards be percentage based or $$ based"  Percentage base is the only way to make it truly "Fair" across all plans.  You always talk about a 30% increase and to show fairness add that amount to other plans.  So should we convert the guaranteed rewards we currently have to a percentage base?  That would make the $7 maximum guaranteed discount 17.5% on my plan but equal to 70% on the $10 plan which would then change what you could get your $10 (before price increase) down to $8.25 instead of $3 (why would a company reward a customer paying less more than someone that is spending more money with them).  So how do we want to look at it percentages or $$ for fairness to all?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LeePublic 

Koodo has pm style promotions and we have had the same 2GB promo for a year now....what telus's ultimate plan for pm is I don't know but we are an afterthought so much so they never bothered to update the terms of service or even give pm management let alone customer support an applicable script to justify the rate hike.

With the federal government announcing a change in policy direction for the CRTC because of the lack of competition which will open up the landscape to true MVNO's there going to be major changes in how the big three operate. Already telus has agreed to sell network sharing to former pm and wind mobile CEO Alex Krstajic in his bid to acquire freedom mobile.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious  So you think PM could merge with Koodo? Is that right? I don't think they'll completely shut PM down yet, but they have less promos/incentives to join PM. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

Founding members get a free unlimited texts/calls plan and only pay for Data-On-Tap that if I recall never expires and can be gifted....from what I remember.

Are you talking about rewards? That can be taken away at anytime? If we are talking about unearned rewards then the rate hike wipes out 75% of my rewards! $2 for Auto pay and $2 for loyalty=$4 - $3=$1 Now is that fair? Because the referral rewards and the community reward I have earned and public mobile has earned many times over from me....equating the rewards discount value to the cost of the plan is unfair. You have a guaranteed $27 discount on the monthly cost of your plan so if you want to play fairsees....that marginally ($1) less than the same 70% guaranteed discount I will eventually earn. So to be fair your plan justifiably should be $52/30 days. Then we're even more or less....?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Did you just think you'd would leave the PM retail space for she'd not get Koodo to jump into that market space?  PM is going back to its origins of online only but I doubt it will ever get to is innovative glory days of yester year. 

You mention your dot founders I have a couple as well, will they offer a 20% discount bonus for auto-pay and a 10% discount per month for every year year with them upto 50% off?  You mention a 30% price increase but never mention the other discounts that are still connected to that plan

Need Help? Let's chat.