cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G or 5G phone setting.

Wayworn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
  • Am under the impression that if you’re on a 4g plan you should select LTE (4G) and that would speed up the phone because it won’t be searching for 5G first and also save battery life. Am I wrong?

UPDATE: The answer was right on my phones settings - cut and pasting .

Wayworn_0-1720798666466.png

5 REPLIES 5

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Wayworn 

When I was having an issue with drop calls, a Telus support agent telephoned me in response to a support ticket. They advised that switching from 5G (recommended) to LTE MAY reduce the number of dropped calls during periods of network congestion.

They also advised that the 5G range from the tower is much less than LTE. If your location is too far from the tower, your phone will search for 5G before accepting LTE. Using 5G will reduce the phone battery life. And for everyday usage, the speed difference between 5G and LTE is not noticeable, unless you are close to the tower and you need to download a huge data file.

Wayworn

Wow from exact the same location I switched from 5G auto to LTE and instantly from 2 bars my phone went to full bars .

Wayworn_0-1720815224869.png

umnikke8

4G and 5G currently largely use the same frequency bands. In general higher frequencies don't travel as far and don't work as well indoors, however they can support more bandwidth and more users. Lower frequencies travel further and work better indoors. Most often these days providers are deploying a mix of frequencies.

Wayworn

@eddieO wrote:

@Wayworn found this post from last year: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/5G-Phone-on-4G-Plan-Inquiry/td-p/993013

Sounds like it might be better to leave it on 4G if for no other reason other than possible saving battery as constantly searching for 5G might drain a bit faster and the phone seems to run warmer

Another interesting  regarding 5G I found on google ------------>Difference and contrast. The 4G frequency band is relatively short, but it has a good ability to penetrate walls. Although the 5G frequency band is longer and the ability to penetrate walls is weak, the anti-interference ability is stronger than that of the 4G antenna..

eddieO

@Wayworn found this post from last year: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/5G-Phone-on-4G-Plan-Inquiry/td-p/993013

Sounds like it might be better to leave it on 4G if for no other reason other than possible saving battery as constantly searching for 5G might drain a bit faster and the phone seems to run warmer

Need Help? Let's chat.