cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 g network service

Phonecard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why is it that public mobile …. Lucky mobile…. Freedumb mobile…. All make claims to network service provided by them. Yet the service they offer is by far below grade standards today. It doesnt matter which company that takes my money each month. Pick one! Yet the service i pay for… lmfao 3g…. I miss phone calls…. Delayed emails….. interrupted data service constantly. Mindless ways of dancing around the issue to fix the issue. Yet these companies are still allowed to boast service. You bump your head today? Try again! And again…. And further that some more…. Then you will be in the 3 g world of data service. 2022 supposed to be going forward. Not backwards.   

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Phonecard 

Missed phone calls? Do they go straight to voicemail? 

Delayed emails? Receiving them? Or opening them? 

Interrupted data service? Buffering? Or loss of service? No signal?

Depending on your location there could several reasons for your issues but without more details forthcoming it's difficult to narrow down the cause but they all can be related to your connection to the 4G LTE network. If you just have a poor connection toggle airplane mode on/off to completely disconnect from the network and get a brand new connection....could be that simple? When's the last time you rebooted your phone?.

What's your actual signal strength of your 4G LTE network? -100 dBm to -109 dBm is poor but -110 dBm and below is pretty much unusable. Switching to 3G only often solves the missed calls or calls going to voicemail for a couple of possible reasons but if your signal strength is better then it will also help your data issues as well with average data speed depending on network traffic....about 12mbps.

Or it could be a provisioning issue. After trying the 3 suggestions above next try removing your SIM card for 10 minutes. Better yet put it in another phone and reboot. Remove the SIM and reseat it in your phone and reboot. 

Reset your network settings. Update your carrier profile there's a new one released for pm.

Log into your self serve account. Make a manual $1 top up payment by choosing "other amount". Confirm and submit your payment. Log out and reboot.

If you are on the old rewards program you may want to skip this last one because it causes a glitch at renewal with your rewards not applying upon renewal. You will have to contact customer support after renewing to have them applied manually. So if you want skip it and just contact customer support and ask for your account to be reset and your SIM card reprovisioned.

Or log into your self serve account. Go to the plans or usage page and click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out and reboot.

More specific troubleshooting requires more info and active participation in the problem solving.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account in your private messages only include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@BeachNBeer 

iOS 16 should be coming out soon after the WWDC at the end of June.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BKNS27 Ya thanks 👍 I guess I should have clarified the latest update and not just put 15.4 lol but thanks for filling it in full 🙂

@BeachNBeer @Phonecard 

The latest iOS update is 15.4.1.

BeachNBeer

@Phonecard Is your XR still on 15.3 update? That update has had issues with all providers not just PM. If its still on that IOS update the XR to the 15.4 update. Also where abouts are you located? In a major city or countryside? A town would help so we can look up the tower map.

You could of course avoid cell service altogether and with all the wifi everywhere use voip apps to talk and text over wifi.

At these budget tiers you get what you pay for. If you want everything you have to pay for it.

HI@Phonecard   

No network can offer 100% uptime, you can be paying $100 a month at other provider or $15 a month here   PM is sharing network with Telus, so, you get a network as good as Telus and Koodo.  Speed is capped but for many people, the 3Mps is decent speed.  I wouldn't say they know know the difference between left and right, I would say downloading a minute clip in 2 sec and 10 sec does not make too much a difference, especially I get to pay less.  🙂

Service is not the best here, there is true.  Autopay is a problem , that is true.  🙂

Phonecard

From my relations with all 3g networks. I ask myself why i bother with a cell phone today. For this. Everything is exactly the same. The below grade standards for 3 g are accepted cause most ppl dont know the difference between left and right. 

Phonecard

Iphone xr….and that is the typical answers today….. outa network…. Throttled…. And then phone. Very standards responses that dont fix the issue still. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

From what I have heard over the years Freedom service/network especially when it comes to calls is nowhere near Public Mobile. 

BeachNBeer

@Phonecard PublicMibile data is actually 4g/LTE but throttled to 3g speeds (3mbs). Phone calling is on 3g network.

What kind of phone do you have and where are you located? Maybe you're out of an area with limited towers or maybe your phone could be causing issues. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Phonecard   Public, Lucky, Chatr are all Teir 3 provider.  They are like no-frills for telecom.  They provide cheaper plans but they provide only very basic service

Don't get confused.  They all offer service in 3Mpbs at LTE network.  they call it 3G speed.  But it is on the LTE network.  They just capped the speed at 3Mbps

Need Help? Let's chat.