cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number porting problem

SomeDude
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've just signed up for Public Mobile this morning around 8:45am and for some reason incoming calls to my number are still reaching my old service. My number was previously with Petro Canada Mobility: a prepaid service that still had a balance on it.

To be clear, I clicked on "Activate SIM", filled in all my information including PIN number, address, etc. The site then asked me if I wanted to set up a new phone number or transfer my existing number. I asked to transfer my existing number. It asked to me to fill in a serial number, account number, and/or a PIN. I entered the account number as my 10 digit phone number. I did not enter the serial number for the phone as the site only allowed a numeric ID but my SN is alphanumeric. I then submitted this request and paid for the first month of service.

Outgoing calls from my PublicMobile SIM call display with my number. Cellular data seems to work. Again, incoming calls to my number still go to my old service voicemail.

I got a text message almost 3 hours after I signed up:

"Public Mobile here: To complete your request to move to Public Mobile go to Publicmobile.ca, click Contact us and complete the SIM & Activation online form."

These instructions don't correspond to the site. I tried to go to the Activate link again but it took me to the original sing on page. I tried this link:

I logged into the my account page (https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca) > Plan and Add-Ons > Change Phone Number.

This is the error I got when I entered my phone number:

-----
We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:
- Make sure you entered your number correctly.
- Select a new number.
- Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance.
-----

13 REPLIES 13

SomeDude

Update:  On the third number porting try, the porting was successful.   Once I figured out the PIN Public Mobile was able to port it.

I wished I had just googled for the procedures to port from Petro Canada before starting the whole process, and I would have saved myself a lot of stress.   

From now on, I'm going to securely record the IEMI, and account numbers and the PIN when I sign up for any new service.

Oh, and a big thank you to @ShawnC13, who got me started on the right path with his quick reply to my inquiry.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is the official FAQ from Petro Canada Mobility.  It appears that they don't assign an account number.  Customers are asked to use the account password/PIN or IMEI.

https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/support-number-portability.aspx

This is an old thread for 7-11.  It is a little different.  The phone number is apparently the account number.  IMEI and PIN can be used also.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Phone-number-transfer-from-speakout-7...

These are two odd ball cases where there is no unique account number issued.  Where there is an account number or surrogate, I think it is the most reliable thing to use.

SomeDude

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@SomeDude wrote:

Here's more information on my problem that may benefit other new customers:  I think I know why the number porting process failed.

When I signed up for Petro-Canada Mobility it was with a different phone than the one I'm using now.  When I provided the IEMI to Public Mobile it was the one for my new phone.   I've obtained the IEMI for the old phone.  Hopefully this is the missing piece of the puzzle to get my number ported successfully.

It is best to just put in account number when porting out.  IMEI like you said people don't remember it or change phones.  The more information provided is also more information that can be entered in correctly or can cause issues.  @will13am, tipped me off to just providing the account number for porting and has worked great

What I did was to provide my account number (phone number) for petro canada only, without a PIN number or serial number.  What I should have done was to find out what my PIN was and provide both the account number (phone number) and the PIN. 

@wetcoaster, thanks for clarification I have no experience with those providers

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

SomeDude

So it turns out that the IEMI for my old phone is probably wrong, as the IEMI they have is probably for an even older phone that I wiped and then sent to electronics recycling.

The good news is that I managed to guess my PIN number (by calling my old provider and having the accept the PIN) so I provided that.

So the moral of the story here is:  When signing for a mobile provide keep track of the PIN and the IEMI number so that one day when you switch you won't the same problems I'm having.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@SomeDude wrote:

Here's more information on my problem that may benefit other new customers:  I think I know why the number porting process failed.

When I signed up for Petro-Canada Mobility it was with a different phone than the one I'm using now.  When I provided the IEMI to Public Mobile it was the one for my new phone.   I've obtained the IEMI for the old phone.  Hopefully this is the missing piece of the puzzle to get my number ported successfully.

It is best to just put in account number when porting out.  IMEI like you said people don't remember it or change phones.  The more information provided is also more information that can be entered in correctly or can cause issues.  @will13am, tipped me off to just providing the account number for porting and has worked great

@ShawnC13

I believe PetroCan Mobile shares the back end with SpeakOut and doesn't have account numbers. Speaking from own experience (ported from SpeakOut, which failed due to NOT providing the IMEI at the first request) I encourage SpeakOut and PetroCan Mobile customers to get in touch with their respective customer service and ask for verification of the information needed for a successful port-out.

lemew07
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

One of them Dohhh moments glad you have a soloution.Cheers Lemew

@SomeDude wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

SomeDude

lemew07
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Porting from some companys seem to get held up. Good luck remember we are all in this together lol Cheers Lemew

SomeDude

Thanks for the quick reply.   I contacted the moderator according to your instructions and will post back when I hear anything.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@SomeDude, sounds like your port has gotten hung up.  You will need to message the moderators for their assistance on this.  If you only have the one phone you can put your old sim back into it and use it as it will be functioning until the port is completed.

To send a private message to a moderator click this link.  In your message please include:

- PM Phone Number

- 4 digit PIN (or at least 3 of the following to verify your identity)

- account number

- date of birth

- complete address listed on account with postal code

- email address on account

- most commonly called numbers

- alternate number listed on the account

- last payment date and amount

- last 4 digits of the credit card

-Detailed explanation

Community Moderators are available from Monday-Friday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

Need Help? Let's chat.