cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visitors to Canada

Rosguru
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Friends visiting Canada for a very short stay are looking for a phone plan with lots of data and unlimited calling.  I would like to recommend that they go for the 8gb plan for $50 and not have autopay so that their plan runs out after the month.  Is that the best solution?  It would be nice if Public Mobile can offer a lot more data even on their add-on section.

14 REPLIES 14

Rosguru

Thank you.  This is good to know.  Thanks for your input.  I would still like to see Public Mobile offer larger data plans as it is difficult to convince people to switch from another provider when they are getting a lot of data.  Hopefully they are reading these posts. 🙂

@Rosguru wrote:

Would my friend be able to switch to the lower plan even if he has used up the 8gb in one week?

@Rosguru  Yes, via selfserve just need to add the funds in the account via a voucher purchased at a retail location or online via recharge.com.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rosguru wrote:

Would my friend be able to switch to the lower plan even if he has used up the 8gb in one week?

Yes.

You can change all you want. You just have to pay in full up front every time with no pro-rating or refunds.

Rosguru

Rosguru

Thank you. Good to know this info.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

How many plans are you looking for? 

Lucky Mobile (Bell sub-brand) has similar price plans (8GB for $50) but they also have throttled unlimited data once the main data is used up. Also, the data booster add-on is $15 for 2GB (not $30 per GB that PM charges)

But you cannot use Lucky in the USA if you plan to visit there. 

CMATT78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sounds good to me bud go for it!

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Rosguru wrote:

Friends visiting Canada for a very short stay are looking for a phone plan with lots of data and unlimited calling.  I would like to recommend that they go for the 8gb plan for $50 and not have autopay so that their plan runs out after the month.  Is that the best solution?  It would be nice if Public Mobile can offer a lot more data even on their add-on section.

Depending on how "lots of data" is defined, the intended use (plenty of options to keep data consumption low-ish by using and pre-load data intensive content via (free) WiFi) and where they are coming from, looking into roaming options with providers from their own country or a US provider like mentioned above might be more cost effective.

I had a friend visiting last year who got 4GB of North America wide LTE and unlimited talk and text from their home provider for less than CAD 40 on the then current exchange rate. Canada might be one of the few countries where "going local" isn't necessarily cheaper. But if it's the route chosen, Public Mobile would be on top of my list 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rosguru 

PM offers $50/8GB and $40/4.5GB plan.  Data add-on is expensive. Renew early to $40/4.5GB plan when 8GB data runs out.

You friend can get the 8GB plan first with the $10 referral credit in his/her account.  As soon as s/he used all 8GB data, s/he can renew his/her plan immediately for the $40/4.5GB plan by adding only $30+ tax together with the $10 available fund.

Total cost for 8GB = $50 + $10 SIM + tax

Totol cost for 12.5GB = $50 + $10 SIM + $30 + tax

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Rosguru wrote:

Friends visiting Canada for a very short stay are looking for a phone plan with lots of data and unlimited calling.  I would like to recommend that they go for the 8gb plan for $50 and not have autopay so that their plan runs out after the month.  Is that the best solution?

@Rosguru  Yes it is.

It would be nice if Public Mobile can offer a lot more data even on their add-on section.

Agreed. Another option if they need more data is to do an immediate plan change to another plan that will meet their data requirements if the 8GB runs out.

@Rosguru If they are staying here under  30 days and plan to go over to the US. They can look at a prepaid US hybrid SIM such as this one at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Canada-Prepaid-T-Mobile-Combined-Unlimited/dp/B07ZHPQ5F5/ref=pd_di_sccai_2/13...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Rosguru wrote:

That would be the best solution with PM for sure.  I am not sure what else is out there from other providers. With PM you know that there is no contract to worry about.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

They could pay with a top up voucher. Link below has all kinds of places to get them.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/payment-voucher

Public mobile highest plan is $50 for 8 gigs. (Extra 500mb with autopay but they're not doing autopay)

Only other option would be to buy a data add-on. But it's only 1gig for $30 which is pricey.

If after the 30 plan is up and they don't renew. Then it will go to suspended and after 90days of no activity then account will be closed and deleted.

Need Help? Let's chat.