cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaminig - Unlimited International Text $8 for 10 days.

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Community,

I'm a recent Public Mobile customer and have the $15 plan - 100 minutes and unlimited texting.  I am using an iPhone 6.

I am thinking of getting the unlimited text for $8.

Just want to confirm I'm doing the right thing as I have never used roaming before.

• If I have cellular data on (green button), do I leave cellular data options "Roaming Off" or On?  That is, for texting to work, what should the cellular settings be?
  • If cellular data is "on" will it also be consuming data in the US?
  • I read somewhere I need to turn off iMessage in settings? 
  • What do I need to do if I want to use iMessage AND Whats App?

Thanks for your help.

I

7 REPLIES 7

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you on the plan that qualifies for 250MB of free data?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bottomshelf wrote:

"I thought I read somewhere that the iMessage app has to be turned off in order for texting to work otherwise by default it would try to use iMessage. Can you confirm either way? Turn off iMessage anyway?"

I found answer to the above question here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/US-Roaming-Text-Only/td-p/334156/page...

I was probably not fully aware of (and probably still not) of all things Apple. I'm somewhat sure that iMessage can still be used with a setting in it set to SMS.

This is the better answer in that thread. @RobertQc

To your other post:

iMessage needs the internet for its own needs but it can do SMS

SMS only - not MMS except those other apps

add-on choice - that's up to you. You're answering it yourself with what you say you're planning to do so why get the other kinds. Unless you think you might make calls. Unless you think would want to use mobile data rather than fixed wifi.

Bottomshelf

"I thought I read somewhere that the iMessage app has to be turned off in order for texting to work otherwise by default it would try to use iMessage. Can you confirm either way? Turn off iMessage anyway?"

I found answer to the above question here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/US-Roaming-Text-Only/td-p/334156/page...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Hi Community,

I'm a recent Public Mobile customer and have the $15 plan - 100 minutes and unlimited texting.  I am using an iPhone 6.

Just want to confirm I'm doing the right thing as I have never used roaming before.

• If I have cellular data on (green button), do I leave cellular data options "Roaming Off" or On?  That is, for texting to work, what should the cellular settings be?

Thanks for your help.

I

A good reference regarding the US Roaming addons can be found here

Bottomshelf

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Hi Community,

Thanks for your help.

I

For SMS text messages, you can have celluar data and/or roaming data on or off and it would make no difference.  Text messaging does not use data.  However, I would make sure to disable the setting that reroutes your text messages through the Apple iMessage server (which does use data).

To use iMessge or Whatsapp as you were asking about, you would need a working internet connection, whether it's through Wi-Fi or celluar data (which would require a roaming add-on that includes data).

Thanks for the prompt response.

• So if cellular data is off, the Apple iMessage app will not be working which should take care of messages being rerouted  through the Apple iMessage server?
  • I thought I read somewhere that the iMessage app has to be turned off in order for texting to work otherwise by default it would try to use iMessage.  Can you confirm either way?  Turn off iMessage anyway?
  • The unlimited texting plan is unlimited "SMS" only; therefore no media (photos etc.) can be sent unless I use Whats App or iMessage?
  • I planning to use texting to keep in contact with people I'm meeting in the US

Just curious, if you were in the US, would roaming plan would you use -

text, talk and data

text and talk

talk only

text only

data only?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Hi Community,

Thanks for your help.

1. For SMS texting you don't need data on.

2. If you're concerned about it costing you anything...no it won't.

3. You set iMessage to use SMS instead of internet

4. Be connected to wifi.

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Hi Community,

Thanks for your help.

I

For SMS text messages, you can have celluar data and/or roaming data on or off and it would make no difference.  Text messaging does not use data.  However, I would make sure to disable the setting that reroutes your text messages through the Apple iMessage server (which does use data).

To use iMessge or Whatsapp as you were asking about, you would need a working internet connection, whether it's through Wi-Fi or celluar data (which would require a roaming add-on that includes data).

Need Help? Let's chat.