cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow

256 kilobits a second is a little under 83 gigabytes of data for the month if you are downloading constantly.  It might take 8 hours to download a movie, but that can be done overnight.   If your other option is satellite internet, this might be a better option. 

 

 

Oracle

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow

Forget about it. I participate on another carrier forum that offers a similar deal with speed throttled to 384 kbps and there are many many complaints about the throttled speed.

Anyone using 20 GB at LTE speeds will not be happy when the throttle kicks in, so judge the value of all these unlimited plans on the data offered at full speed.


>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow

Comparing Rogers with Public is silly.. just like comparing First class flight ticket to Economy.. it is designed for different demographic in mind. Yes it gets you the same results, but Roger's mainline brand, overhead is higher than Public's... stores, phone leasing, tech support, marketing, even features like data shaing.. that has to come from somewhere.. eg I am not sure Roger's customers will stand for autopay problems we have like here. It is good to know what others are offering.. but it is just not comparable.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow


@Luddite wrote:

Foregt about it. I participate on another carrier forum that offers a similar deal with speed throttled to 384 kbps and there are many many complaints about the throttled speed.

Anyone using 20 GB at LTE speeds will not be happy when the throttle kicks in, so judge the value of all these unlimited plans on the data offered at full speed.


@Luddite you nailed it.  Personally I think this is a ploy to get you to try to upgrade your plan when you get frustrated once the approx. double dial-up modem speeds throttling kicks in.  They know you can't use enough data to be terribly dangerous because it will be so slow, and that knowing you have unlimited, you're probably going to be on a mission to use a lot of data, thus more likely to hit the cap and decide to add more full-speed data.  

 

I still think this is a step in the right direction, but I think the number of customers that will be happy with this arrangement in the long term is low.  Either you're going to use less than the 10 (or more at higher plan cost) GB of full-speed data and feel you're overpaying for it (vs. the promos that have been run in the past with $60/10GB), OR, you're going to use a lot of data quickly and hit the throttle and be frustrated.  

 

These are just my opinions.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow


@GinYVR wrote:

Comparing Rogers with Public is silly.. just like comparing First class flight ticket to Economy.. it is designed for different demographic in mind. Yes it gets you the same results, but Roger's mainline brand, overhead is higher than Public's... stores, phone leasing, tech support, marketing, even features like data shaing.. that has to come from somewhere.. eg I am not sure Roger's customers will stand for autopay problems we have like here. It is good to know what others are offering.. but it is just not comparable.


The overhead argument just doesn't hold water. The overhead (for the most part) is corporate, not brand specific. Rogers' incurs overhead for Rogers' Wireless. They incur marginal overhead by adding Fido support/accounting/etc to that. They incur an even smaller marginal cost by adding Chatr. It's eactly the same with Bell/Virgin/Lucky.

 

The same is true of Telus/Koodo/PM. You are treating PM's lack of support as if it were the savings that would exist if PM was a standalone MVNO. It isn't, and the savings are therefore quite irrelevant. PM's service model is to support differentiating it on price, not because there's substantial savings for Telus.

 

If you believe that you're saving money because PM is so much cheaper for Telus to operate than Koodo or their mainline brand, you're being influenced by the marketing, not the facts. Sure, Telus saves some money by having its customers take on first level support but it's not significant. PM pricing is entirely driven by the assessment Telus is making of the price points it needs from a competitive market position. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow


@coolvehiclefan wrote:

Chatr was the first one to offer no overage charges on data


In the old time PM also has unlimited data Smiley Happy Not sure if Chatr or Pm offered it first though!

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow

@JackQuint Great opinion. i thought you were making a good argument but i think your underlying assumptions could be false, e.g. in the last three lines. All the best.

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow


@coolvehiclefan wrote:

Rogers is launching unlimited data plans tomorrow it says that in this article https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/12/rogerws-unlimited-data-plans-no-overage/ and its listed on their website, i really hope public mobile will follow, we need a break from being ripped off for data in canada


This interesting.  This is a good thing for Rogers customers.  I do wonder if people who subscribe to this plan do will be subscribing to it because they really need the feature or they'll be $60/10GB customers paying $15 more just for that insurance.

 

I certainly can't predict Public Mobile's reaction, but Chatr has had this type of reduced speed offerring after data the amount has been used up for quite a while, as has Lucky Mobile, and Public did not follow.  It could happen here, but first, I think we're going to see Telus follow suit first.

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow


@srlawren wrote:

 


@Luddite you nailed it.  Personally I think this is a ploy to get you to try to upgrade your plan when you get frustrated once the approx. double dial-up modem speeds throttling kicks in.  They know you can't use enough data to be terribly dangerous because it will be so slow, and that knowing you have unlimited, you're probably going to be on a mission to use a lot of data, thus more likely to hit the cap and decide to add more full-speed data.  

 

I still think this is a step in the right direction, but I think the number of customers that will be happy with this arrangement in the long term is low.  Either you're going to use less than the 10 (or more at higher plan cost) GB of full-speed data and feel you're overpaying for it (vs. the promos that have been run in the past with $60/10GB), OR, you're going to use a lot of data quickly and hit the throttle and be frustrated.  

 

These are just my opinions.


No automatic overage fee is better than the current plans.  However, if that's the main objective, we have already have Koodo. Either way, dollars for more gigabytes of usage or dollars for more unthrottled speeds could be just a matter of how some customers look at it. I have mixed feelings.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow


@oneworld wrote:
@JackQuintGreat opinion. i thought you were making a good argument but i think your underlying assumptions could be false, e.g. in the last three lines. All the best.

Thanks. In response to your point, I could add some clarity to my thought process. I am not saying that there aren't costs to operating and maintaining the PM brand. Of course there are. However, the marginal cost of adding a single PM customer is almost nothing (actually, the marginal cost of adding a Koodo or Telus customer is almost nothing). You can probably measure these costs in cents.

 

Telus needs to run its networks. Telus needs to have technicians. Telus needs to have technical support (whether it's a call centre or moderators). Tech support for all three brands can be done by the same people (whether they choose to is a function of administrative decision making, not cost). Because PM was an acquisition, there are no doubt costs involved in transitioning back of house systems to a common billing/account management platform, but those are acquisition costs, not a cost of operating PM versus Koodo or Telus.

 

My viewpoint is focussed on marginal cost: how much does it cost Telus to add a PM, Kood, or Telus subscriber. The answer is likely within cents of each other which means pricing is not cost centric in a brand specific manner.