cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pinned Topic/Thread to Track ALL Promos and Plan Changes

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Would it be possible to have PM create a single PINNED Thread that is used to link to any new announcements of Promos and Plan Changes?

What I envisiion is quite simple...

Every time there is a change in plan offerings, promos, etc., a link to the announcement or topic post, no matter where it is posted in the forum, is posted in that tracking thread (not the details themselves).

The benefits would be twofold:

- new promos and/or plan changes are easy to find...they do not get buried as other stuff gets posted.

- users, NEW and old, can subscribe and get notified of these new changes, whether to change existing plans, or add new plans (e.g. we are a growing family with growing needs).

- you CAN SUBSCRIBE to a specific Topic thread but you CANNOT SUBSCRIBE to a Category of threads in this forum (unless you use an RSS feed...but that is too complicated for the average person).

I have tried so many other ways to keep track but I keep missing good promotions because timing is always off...

This would be such a simple thing to do here and it would be most greatly appreciated! It would simply require a PM employee to update it once in a while. After all these do not come out every day, every week, or even every month.  😉

P.S. I would make this Pinned Topic locked down so no additional replies can be posted. users can reply to the topic at the referenced link...

51 REPLIES 51

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pm-smayer97, although I understand what everyone else is saying, but I do agree with what you're getting at.  Sometimes people just want to take a quick look and see what the deals are at this moment, and when PM announces things like "Top Contributor", "Summer Fun with PM", etc., on the main page, all the promo posts get buried.  I'd go a step further and include in the header of all new promos the expiry date, so that people don't have to go searching for it, or like some, just assume that it's still active, and then realize after activation the promo has expired. 

Unfortunately not everyone is the same, and small things like this can make a difference for some.  Although I don't mind the format the way it is now, but maybe for others they just want a quick view of all the active promos they can take advantage of, less clicking and scrolling the better.  Just looking at it from a new customer and simplicity stand point, it does have added value in helping customers, especially those who may not necessarily be the most, how can I say, "website navigation savvy" (if that even makes sense, lol).

lol

Look on the bright side. Even if this suggestion doesn't get the green light....you will still get some $$$$ from this thread alone...with the topic opening...the 283 replies of yours in your own thread.... and accepting your own response as a solution. So there's that 🏆

Clearly you have not read this thread and understood the idea... this is about getting notified WHEN they update the Announcement area rather than having to check in all the time... if you want to be tied to having to check all the time, you are free to do that. Not all of us have that luxury.

People, this is really a simple and practical idea. 

If you rather continue having to check all the time, that is your choice. You do not have to participate... that is the beauty of it... only those that are interested need subscribe.  😉

They have the plans in the announcement forum, it has all the latest promotions and infos

Some of us have busy lives, so ducting in and out of forums is not ideal nor practical a lot of the time. 

It is all about timing...if the timing is wrong, you miss out. What I am proposing is foolproof in never missing a promo, as long as PM updates the thread.

I would see this being worth it if the promos, etc were difficult to navigate and a maze you had to go through....but it is pretty prominent right at the top of the community. 

Even if you are not on daily, if you duck your head in every few days or even weekly, you should be able to see all promos without missing anything. That would also avoid any of the slight changes that may be troublesome for some, like the ones you just discussed above (spam wise, etc)

@Watoko True. That would be a good idea.

And the thread can easily be locked... this would avoid spam!

Watoko

I see what you are saying now. Well they would have to disable replies/comments in that master thread then, or else you'd have massive spam...

@Watoko if you see it as extra effort than you have misunderstood what I am proposing. 

I am not asking for anything to change... Since this forum platform does not have the ability to subscribe to Areas but only specific threads, I am asking that an extra thread be created where ALL promos are added as a posted link to the actual new announcement. Then anyone who wants to be AUTOMATICALLY notified each time there is a new promo announcement, all they have to do is subscribe to that thread... a one time event.

The only person that has "extra effort" is the PM poster that would simply add a post to this thread pointing to the promo...

So from your part, after you subscribe to the promo thread, you actually would not even need to visit the forum just for this info...you would get it automatically...actually saving you effort.

Watoko

I kinda like the current layout...I just navigate to the forums and it's already laid out nicely in the Featured Topics section.

I find your proposed idea to be a bit more work for me, as it would require me to actually click INTO the pinned thread to see if there is anything new. While in the current layout, if there's no promotions going on, there would be nothing displayed in the Featured Topics section and therefore I would not have to look any further.

I do appreciate your effort into trying to improve the forums!

FYI, I have received a response from support saying they think it is a good idea. Time will tell if they actually implement it. Hoping they do.

So to recap what I am proposing:

One Time Set-up:

1. PM creates a Topic called something like "New Promos and Plan Changes". 

2. PM pins that topic.

(This topic should always stay locked).

Ongoing Effort:

1. PM posts ad for new promo or plan changes (as they have always done).

2. (THIS IS THE ONLY NEW STEP -->) PM pastes a link to the new post in the pinned topic, with language like "See new promo" or "See latest changes or offerings". 

Those interested in being notified simply subscribe/OPT IN to the pinned thread.

That's it.

@nrg_svr not sure if I totally follow what you are saying...

I think I agree with you but not sure...

Bottom line is I am arguing against naysayers that are emphazing why not have this, especially when there does not seem to be any solid ground for the arguments.

I agree that it would be more useful to this discussion if there was more emphasis on the benefits of the original idea.

P.S. I like the link to the ad  🙂

nrg_svr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@nrg_svr   

Who would object to the idea of having a way to be informed of updates, as an OPT-IN solution?

As much as I feel, like Jar Jar, that 'your point is, well seen'... It's going to take support for an idea to get it moving forward, as opposed to just a lack of objection. RIght now, this topic is getting very long winded on minutea and (in my opinion) is detracting from the originally proposed idea somewhere 'a lot of posts ago'.

I will heed the advice given in this actual real ad that ran on Canadian TV 8 or 9 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jz2GbvOJrg

@will13am "But you haven't really answered why they would want to do that - you've made the case for the advantages for customers but what's in it for PM themselves?"

Then you have not read my comments properly...one benefit that should be obvious is that users sometimes need more accounts, e.g. I have a growing family with growing needs; another is word-of-mouth advertising...this group is so passionate about this product that PM can leverage that more.

"There's a reason why most promos target NEW customers..."

BTW, I am not even a PM customer yet, and yet, here I am, wanting this info....hmmm

"Can you think of any business in a relatively non-competitive market who want to make it easier for existing customers to earn them less money?"

PM advertises promos that benefit ALL users ALL THE TIME!!!!

"You can't be the first person to have had this thought."

Have you seen this proposed anywhere on here yet?

" The fact that this is an essentially pure online service has not nothing to do with this topic. "

it has EVERYTHING to do with this topic! This is the primary source of info and updates. Why do you think PM posts its updates in this forum? They have 2 sections just for what I am talking about; Announcements, and Plans & Add-ons.

"Having said that, my approach here is to be pragmatic with suggestions. "

So far I have not seen how your responses are pragmatic.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@will13am What carrier do you know of that ONLY has a forum and community based support?

Again, why so much effort to argue against this idea? What is it to you?

And who cares what others are or are not doing?

You can say I am arguing.  But I will only say that you are discussing a topic in an open forum for which everyone is free to offer their opinion even if it is differing.  Having said that, my approach here is to be pragmatic with suggestions.  If it has no chance of making the grade, I try to not make a big stink of it.  When I point to other carriers, I am merely suggesting that it is a good benchmark for what may constitute a pragmatic suggestion.  The fact that this is an essentially pure online service has not nothing to do with this topic.  This is of course my opinion and mine only. 

koimr1

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@will13am  You are missing the point.... this is an OPT IN feature. 

PM ALREADY posts the SAME info here. If you do not want to be informed, you simply do not subscribe... pretty simple.

Again, I do not get why most of you folks are so intent on finding a reason NOT to have this happen. This has NO impact on YOU if you are not interested. But for those who ARE INTERESTED, it can meet a need. So what is the issue?

So many naysayers...wow! And this from oracles too!

Why would anyone object to something that may make life a little easier, especially when there is so little effort required? 

Priorty? What priority? again, this does not require ANY special effort or planning or financing or major thought or....

I don't think anyone is 100% against it - the opposition is more along the lines of how realistic the request it.

Yes, I'm sure a PM rep could create a pinned thread with the latest promos so one can subscribe to it.

But you haven't really answered why they would want to do that - you've made the case for the advantages for customers but what's in it for PM themselves? Can you think of any business in a relatively non-competitive market who want to make it easier for existing customers to earn them less money?

There's a reason why most promos target NEW customers - your scheme isn't going to help these people as they aren't likely going to sign up and subscribe before already becoming customers.

If it's as advantageous to them as you feel it would be then wouldn't they have done so already? You can't be the first person to have had this thought.

@nrg_svr  Yes, RFD was full of naysayers on this... but that is because it was a community based suggested solution that was perceived as SPAM.

Here I am proposing something led by and saction by PM. Again, this is just extending the advertising that they are ALREADY doing... so I see no good reason why this would be a problem. 

Who would object to the idea of having a way to be informed of updates, as an OPT-IN solution? Those who do not care to be informed need not subscribe. VERY SIMPLE! Satisfies ALL camps!

nrg_svr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-subscribe-thread-notified-when-there-new-public-mobile...

This wasn't well received elsewhere... As much as I like the potential, it seems to have many objections... Haters, cynical dweebs, etc... RFD is terribly hit and miss anyway, more complaining there than value

@will13am What carrier do you know of that ONLY has a forum and community based support?

Again, why so much effort to argue against this idea? What is it to you?

And who cares what others are or are not doing?

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

PM ALREADY posts the SAME info here. If you do not want to be informed, you simply do not subscribe... pretty simple.

Again, I do not get why most of you folks are so intent on finding a reason NOT to have this happen. This has NO impact on YOU if you are not interested. But for those who ARE INTERESTED, it can meet a need. So what is the issue?

Why would anyone object to something that may make life a little easier, especially when there is so little effort required?

What carrier are you aware of that has an option to be email the latest and greatest promos? 

Priorty? What priority? again, this does not require ANY special effort or planning or financing or major thought or....

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

They can't please everybody at the same time.  There are customers who don't care to hear about promos and migration offers period.  I can't see Public Mobile doing anything other than staying the course with advertising future promotions.  Besides, given other nagging problems requiring attention, this has got to be off the chart low on the priority list.

@ShawnC13 to your very point... but the DO advertise as least SOME of their promotions...

The fact is I cannot recall every seeing a single promo from PM unless I went looking for them, and usually by posters on some forum somewhere, in other words, by word of mouth, or by seeing the current  offerings on the PM page.

And yes, I get promo offers from Virgin and Telus every so often. Other examples include Tangerine and EQ Bank sending out offers for referral bonuses, or special rates. Happens all the time. So your argument by abstentia is not substantive. 

And you are forgetting one important thing...PM ALREADY POSTS these offers on THIS forum. SO, again, I am not asking for anything special...just making the SAME info MORE accessible with LITTLE EFFORT.

Again, having this does not mean that they HAVE to advertise EVERY offer...they can be selective... All I am suggesting is they make at least some (preferably all) more visible.  Again, this is NOT a one way benefit. PM DOES have something to gain by this too!

@stonechucker  if you have to ask then you have not bothered to read all my other responses.

I totally understand what the OP is looking for and asking for but do other providers or companies do such a thing?  I know Koodo doesn't put out messages (or hasn't while my wife has been a customer) about referral credits going to $50.

I am going to put it out there a different way.  Grocery stores send out flyers with their sales but there will always be "in-store" or "managers" specials that aren't advertised in those.  If you happen to be in the store while they are on you have great TIMING if not you miss out.  A simple solution with litte effort would be for them to include these items in their sale flyers but they chose not to.

Sometimes catching the sales or promo's is good timing and luck of the draw.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

So, @pm-smayer97, do you really NEED PM to do this?  Look at all the suggestions already in this thread.

FirstWorldProblems

@mimmo sorry if I misunderstood your overall intent. I was just drawn to the one part.

Thanks for seeing that it is a simple solution. And yes, without it being pinned, it will be of little value.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pm-smayer97 if you saw my post a couple above you see that I agree with you and that as you suggested its a simple way.

My last post is simply stating that in the absence of a your suggestion/solution,  workarounds are available and don't take much time/effort.

Need Help? Let's chat.