cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone taken to US without a roaming plan

turky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I take my phone across the border to the US without a roaming plan, what will happen? If I try to make a call what happens. What about texts? Can I order roaming from the US?

6 REPLIES 6

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have access to wifi then you could use apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Fongo, and Textnow.

I've received texts in the US without a roaming plan but I am not certain that you could count on receiving all all texts sent and it may vary with what provider you are hooked on to and what area you are in while in the US.

AE_Collector

turky

@geopublic wrote:

@turky wrote:

If I take my phone across the border to the US without a roaming plan, what will happen? If I try to make a call what happens. What about texts? Can I order roaming from the US?

@turky If you try to make a call it will not work. You might be able to receive a text (unofficial) but you will not be able to send one.

Yes you can purchase a US roaming add-on when you are in the US. 

I had heard that you would receive texts without a roaming plan but have not been able to test it.

turky

Thanks for that

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@turky wrote:

@turky If you try to make a call it will not work. You might be able to receive a text (unofficial) but you will not be able to send one.

Yes you can purchase a US roaming add-on when you are in the US. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Nothing will happen it won't work.

You can add a add-on plan through your self serve account. 

note once bought it starts right away.

Screenshot_20190906_234608.jpg

Two steps to buy an add-on..guide below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/td-p/198974

Need Help? Let's chat.