cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plans Explained

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Lots of hate on new plans, not entirely sure why, but here are the comparisons to Chatr

AUTOPAY PLANS

Chatr $40, 2GB with autopay, Canada Wide Talk

Public $45 with autopay, 6GB, Canada Wide Talk

$5 extra for triple the data, better voice mail, no zones

Chatr $45, 4GB with autopay, Canada Wide Talk

Public $45 with autopay, 6GB Canada Wide Talk

Same price but more data, better voice mail, no zones

Chatr $50, 6GB with autopay, US Talk

Public $50 with autopay, 6GB, US Talk

Same price & data, better voice mail, no zones

NON AUTOPAY PLANS

Chatr $40, 1GB, Canada Wide Talk

Public $47, 6GB, Canada Wide Talk

$7 extra for 6X the data, better voice mail, no zones. No closer comparison since Public does not offer lower data buckets

Chatr $45, 2GB, Canada Wide Talk

Public $47, 6GB, Canada Wide Talk
$2 extra for triple the data, better voice mail, no zones. No closer comparison since Public does not offer lower data buckets

Chatr $50, 4GB, US Talk

Public $52, 6GB, US Talk

$2 extra for 2 more GB, better voice mail, no zones. No closer comparison since Public does not offer lower data buckets

At EVERY SINGLE PRICE POINT Public Mobile has better value than Chatr, with or without autopay enrolement

The autopay difference on Chatr gives more full speed (3G) data, without it they have very limited use. Autopay on Public of course gives cheaper rates.

The only even remotely compelling reason to sign up with Chatr is if you are happy with 2G data service (as Chatr offers unlimited in zone data once 3G has been consumed)

*EDIT - Chatr does have 6 month account expiry vs Public 3 month account expiry, It was pointed out to me that people who infrequently need a prepay phone could take advantage of that or while travelling

*EDIT2 - Added non-autopay accounts for people who wanted to compare

So what exactly do you all hate on so badly?

*edit, adding in Koodo/Fido/Virgin comparisons for LTE

Koodo/Virgin $55, 1GB, Canada Wide Talk (limited to 500 mins)

Public $53, 1GB, Canada Wide Talk

Note the 2GB/4GB plans are cheaper on Koodo/Virgin/Fido as all are running bonus data promo right now

60 REPLIES 60

@will13am 3G is not the end of the world seriously I know people who use 50MB or less just check a random webpage or email

Heck look at the nearly 1 million Freedom subs who made due with network issues for years

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am well one of the three LTE options is cheaper than Koodo/Fido/Virgin if you prefer

The larger data bucket plans are currently on promo though so if you want 2+ GB per month then other carriers are currently cheaper

Wait a month and the promo will be over leaving Public as cheapest option both for 3G & LTE

Right now the cheapest pricing is zoomer at $45 for 2 gigs and Canada wide calling.  Seriously, this is not a race to the bottom.  We all complain bitterly about cellular service being expensive and now you are trying to rationalize the good in a 50% price increase.  Public Mobile has a disruptive type business model that is ultra low cost and they shared the cost savings with the customer until now.  Go ahead, shill these new plans to your friends.  I won't be doing that with my friends because I don't want them to be my enemies as a result.

@will13am well one of the three LTE options is cheaper than Koodo/Fido/Virgin if you prefer

The larger data bucket plans are currently on promo though so if you want 2+ GB per month then other carriers are currently cheaper

Wait a month and the promo will be over leaving Public as cheapest option both for 3G & LTE

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Explained in context, taking other carriers into account 😜

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Lol, @kav2001c you call that an explanation.  Let me give it a try.  Previously, the 90 day plan with province wide calling, international text and 6 gigs of LTE data was $120.  Today, this same plan is $180, an increase of $60 or 50%.  

Comparing to Chatr reminds me of this Monty Python skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatHLHG2uGY

mikefradette
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I can no longer justify referring people to PM. I just referred my 18th person a week ago and had more lined up, but now no one is interested since they might as well stay with TELUS or Bell for the extra few bucks per month, it's not worth switching.

@MLPhoto but what is the point?

I could also compare Freedom prices a year ago vs today, Chatr prices a year ago vs today

Heck I could show you how basic foods & gas have all increased as well in past year

The only really valid comparison is what is in market from Carrier A vs Carrier B

If you want to talk how much they increased, I can post screen shots of my Old Public Mobile account

I paid $38 + $20 = $58 per month

Had unlimited international calling (NOT just 18 countries, old version is *45* countries!), unlimited data, and a free phone (hardware subsidy)

That is only 36 to 48 months ago

srlawren

@kav2001c your analysis is good and I guess the "3G" data plans aren't awful in comparison.  But I hate that we are stooping down to Chatr's data speeds.  I have personally been using a test line for the past week (in my second SIM slot, and it's been my primary data sim virtually the whole week).  The download speeds are "okay" though I wish PM would cap it higher than Chatr to outclass them a bit.  Even 4-5Mbps would help.  It's a misnomer to call it a "3G" data option because (a) it's being delivered via 4G LTE anyway, and (b) it's not even offering up close to full 3G speeds.  But then there's the upload speeds, which in my experience so far have been pretty painful.  

The worst part about the "3G" plans isn't the 3G plans at all though.  It's that it was coupled with the massive price increases on the regular "4G" data plans.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

MLPhoto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can you compare the old 90 days LTE 6GB plan to the new 90 daysLTE 6GB plan and the old 90 days LTE 12GB plan to the new 90 daysLTE 12GB plan

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I'm hungry now, and tired 😴

LOL

mimmo

here is how i see the breakdown  add $2 for autopay

provincial pricing

1gb +1gb = (126-6)/3= $40/30days

2gb +1gb = (141-6)/3= $45/30days

4gb +2gb = (156-6)/3= $50/30days

canada wide

1gb +1gb =  (141-6)/3= $45/30days   Chatr $40, 2GB with autopay, Canada Wide Talk

2gb +1gb = (156-6)/3= $50/30days

4gb +2gb = (171-6)/3= $55/30days   Chatr $45, 4GB with autopay, Canada Wide Talk

as mentioned the bg difference is chatr zones vs no zones.  so that might be worth a little premium on PM side, but also PM has a promo on now but it will be gone soon.

Rockdaddy22
I'm hungry now, and tired 😴

pakmode

Yeah Solo is done like dinner. 

Rockdaddy22
Nice quick correction 🙂 Great info here guys.

WearySky

@mimmo wrote:

I thought i heard solo is being folded into bell or virgin

Solo prepaid is being folded into Bell prepaid: https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Mobility-promotions/Solo-Migration

As far as I know post-paid are still staying as Solo (for now).  But they haven't been activating new lines since way back in 2012.

Edit: I stand corrected - *all* customers are being migrated over to Bell effective July 31st: http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/29/solo-mobile-migrates-customers-bell-starting-july-31st/

Edit again: or maybe not.  That mobilesyrup story is just referencing the same Bell link I posted previously.

Rockdaddy22
I was also going to mention the promo thing, good point.

These prices/promos are so fluid, it'll be a wait and see for many. Definitely interesting/maybe scary times.

mimmo

dont forget Chatr offers $80 in autopay credits for the first 8 months and also you should compare non promo 3g data pricing  becasue once teh promo is gone the numbers change.

Rockdaddy22
Some people don't even get autopay credits. I personally think they should be removed from any comparisons. Or at least have a separate comparison without it included.

mimmo

I thought i heard solo is being folded into bell or virgin

Bell - Telus - Rogers 

Virgin - Koodo - Fido

Solo - Public - Chatr 

We are the production line, no fame, no glory

@MEU_21 for people that use low speed data the 18GB plan is quite amazine

I suspect that one is positioned more against the Freedom Mobile subscribers though

After Freedom screwed old clients with LTE plans I am sure many would jump at a good deal

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

90 Day plans don't bother me, although it may bother others - I didn't even raise a fuss about the 90 Day plans. However, misleading comparisons and a blanket statement that PM has better plans at every price category, does bother me. 

As I posted orginially, I understand that the comparison was based on price point, but with that logic, I could just compare the 18GB 3G plan and say that PM is the best because noone else offers it. 

Anyways, I ditched Chatr in the fall because my needs changed.

@MEU_21 although this is not really relevant since it never changed but; so essentially your issue with Public Mobile has nothing to do with the plans. It has to do with the fact you commit to a 90 day term upfront?

Public has promoted 90 day promo plans since the BETA plan days (over 2 years ago)

You need to go back before Telus takeover if you only wanted 30 day packages

Actually and if you look at the oldest plan charts, they even list 180 day plans which never made it to the new clients

My question back to you is if the 90 day term bothered you, *WHY* sign up in first place?

This is a very long term issue, not related to new plans at all

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@kav2001c, I agree with @Rockdaddy22, when I joined I know only 9 months I felt PM was competing against the Big 3 and shaking up the Telecom industry.  Now I think PM was to successful in their campaign against the Big 3 and they didn't like losing customers so now we compete against Chatr.   I switched to PM because I was getting Big 3 Data speeds and quantities at HUGE discount prices.  Chatr level of cellular providing did not interest me then and does not now.  I am glad I have my plan I do but I wouldn't have swithced to get Chatr type services.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

MEU_21

Patently False Statements. I don’t know why you compare the 2GB plan to 6GB plan, and 4GB plan to 6GB plan. I understand you look at price point, but data needs should be dictating your analysis. Comparing apples-to apples as much as possible, see these examples for Canada wide and global text plans:

6GB @3G, with AutoPay (SAME PRICE)

Chatr:$50/m (includes US talk)

PM: $50/m (with US talk on 90 Day plan)

4GB @3G, with AutoPay (Chatr MUCH Cheaper)

Chatr:$45/m

PM: $60/m (on 30 Day plan), you could get the 90 Day plan with 6GB for the same $45/m, but commit $135 upfront.

2GB @3G, with AutoPay (Chatr MUCH Cheaper)

Chatr: $40/m

PM: $55/m (on 30 Day plan),

1GB @3G (Chatr MUCH Cheaper)

Chatr: $40/m , no AutoPay

PM: $52/m, no AutoPay (on 30 Day plan)

Advantages for PM: no Zone, but stuck in one province

Advantages for Chatr: Zones but major Canadian cities are within zone, good long distance calling list.

WearySky

I don't have any issue with the 3G plans - for folks that want 3G data, by all means have at it. My issue is with the increase in price for the LTE plans.  

Also note for cost sensitive clients there also is the option for Provincial talk plans but I compared Canada & USA so equal to what Chatr has

Rockdaddy22
I know 😢

@Rockdaddy22 I think we always were 3rd line

Bell - Telus - Rogers 

Virgin - Koodo - Fido

Solo - Public - Chatr 

We are the production line, no fame, no glory

Rockdaddy22
I guess even being compared to Chatr is the problem. I personally felt, we were in a different class than Chatr. But now it's our direct competition. I was having delusions of grandeur lol We're third tier for life 🙂

Raven_Jet
Looks good to me.
Need Help? Let's chat.