cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the Data usage work

Deez13
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've noticed my Data usage going up but i am connected on my WIFI   not sure whats happening here

4 REPLIES 4

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Deez13 Sometimes iPhones uses data when WiFi assist is turned on. This is to let you use internet without any issue when you are on a spotty WiFi. Make sure you are within the WiFi range at all times so the phone always use WiFi. Turn of data option to not give any chance to let it use your data specially when you have a small amount to use over the 30 days. Most phones now a days allow you to quickly toggle data on. When you need to use it, quick swiping should allow you to turn it on. I suggest, rather than having data turned on at all times, sometimes its better to manually enable/disable for a peace of mind 🙂

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Deez13,

Not my words, but what I found whenever this happened to me as well.

"All smartphones use data in the background, sometimes to sync with your email accounts and social networking accounts to see if there is new mail or status updates, things of that nature. Unless you disable your 4g/3g data connection there is a chance that applications are using data in the background via 3g/4g. Some apps are designed to only use 3g/4g data. If you are connected to Wi-fi, the bulk of your data usage will run through that connection and not detract from your data allowance."

To ensure no data is being used, toggle it off when in wifi.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Deez13 check your apps, enable download only on wifi. Check see if dnd is enabled, check to see if your wifi has been inadvertantly turned off. There is a 5meg data buffer that is returned to you over time. If you have an IPhone,  and you are using Imessage it will use data when wifi isn't available or spotty. Welcome to the community.  Stay safe. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Deez13 turn off your "cellular data" while on wifi. only enable it if you plan on using it. how much data has been used? there is a 5mb buffer that will go down at the end of the day or if you enable/disable airplane mode

Need Help? Let's chat.