cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada to US coverage question

Cybercat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all

New to forum. I have a dual SIM phone (Ulefone Armor 2, seems to be fine for second 3G and 4G lines, unlike many dual SIMS) and am looking to hook up a second line mainly to have a second line - and do Can to US talking. My main line is Virgin, has 10 gigs of data, unlimited Canada, anything for $54 ... It's $15 to add on the US coverage so I went looking around for other options to do this one specific thing.

If I were to add the $10 a month, option, then add on the $8 US minute option, would, a) the US minutes carry over monthly, and b) is there anything I am missing about this not working? I don't call the US a lot but would like the coverage and do not ever go to the USA. I live in Eastern Ontario, work in Ottawa, drive all over this province and occassionally PQ and MB but my prime number can do anything I want so I am just looking for something occassional use at this point, mainly to call the USA and PM seemed like that would be the best option.

thanks!

Tanya

17 REPLIES 17

Cybercat

I checked your sie ... didn't need the IMEI however it also doens;t include the newer models. Old one cleared ...JFR

tanya

Cybercat

Yes, and this phone has been confirmed,elsehwere ... I am loathe to enter an IMEI into an unknown site, since it can cause damage, and some have caused issues. That said YES it works ... but it is still a dual-band standy and not -active, which has nothing to do with PM, or any other place. Thanks! It's been confirmed to work pretty much anywhere in Canada ... I am on Virgin so that confirms Virgin, Bell, Telus ... was already noted with Rogers which should cover all of theirs ...

tanya

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Cybercat what tool did you use to check the IMEI?  Whatever you do, don't rely on the IMEI checker on Public Mobile's website, it's known to produce false positives.  Please use willmyphonework.net, as it is far more accurate.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Cybercat

It is, I ran the IMEI last night ... disappointed it's not dual active and only dual standby ... my only real complaint with the new phone is the battery only lasts a day as a multimedia device ( I run a desk top for most things). My sonim had a fantastic battery until I smashed it ... still works but smashed screen is no fun. So much for smash proof ... I've had many smashed phones why I bought it, poor on MM but was supposed to be good on the smash proof part 😞

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, you can use your Virgin account to retrieve messages left for your Public Mobile number. As for your new phone, please, look at this. Just make sure it is compatible with both providers.

Cybercat

Hi all, again ...

Not posting to anyone, specific, however did notice a few things from reading through the forums, in part due to the replies to my original post. 1) Am I correct in seeing that many people do not / did not realize what they'd signed on for, when they signed and then were mad that they didn't understand? 2) I've been on a cell a long time, like going back to when you couldn't pretty much turn it on without costing money. Average phone was 100s if you really used one, and strictly phone, at that. I continue to follow all the plans, boards, mainly for my students, to point them, in good directions but this board seems full of people who really didn't understand what they were getting (Freedom is another good example, dreadful for many places, even in zone ... lol). 3) Why why why didn't I keep some of my cheap options when they first came out $2 Skype for unlimited NA, MJ at like nothing ... lol ... no one can answer that one unfortunately 😄 People really have no idea what 'expensive' really was ... lol

tanya

tanya

Cybercat

So I could just p/u the messages via my Virgin account? I also just determined I have dual standby and not dual active on the sim slots on the new Armor 2 ... while I like the phone, the battery sucks in comparison to my old Sonim Xp 7 so I may look for another phone ... smashed the screen on the Sonim XP 7 and the XP 8 is way off track for release so had to look at other things ...

Cybercat

Yes, I did look at VOIP, etc. I've used Google Hangouts a few times for work, hated it. 100% hated it. Not familiar with the other, so I will look it up. Google Voice didn't work in Canada, though maybe it does now? I will look.

I was an early adopter of MagicJack (about a decade ago, innitially the were giving free or almost free at tech conferences) and loved it! I used it as a home phone about 7 years (started with needing to make calls to US Virgin Islands with $1.40 a min Bell and I ended up dumping Bell, ultimately for it) - key point with MJ is you need a good internet connection and I do have one) and MJ also has an app ... I'd also used Skype, very early on, and paid a small amount for the upgrade to use on the road ... till it was bought out ... things seem to change every few years and I bounce around with what I am up to on phones, for various reasons ... right now I have used 4500 mins on my cell plan and I've been with Virgin just under a decade I guess ... and have 5 days left, LOTS of work calls.

One of my very first cells was Telus (bell might have been the very first, I don't rem), the reception, coverage was terrible ... guessing things changed since 1991 though 😄 I think someone asked to about this, and that I didn't seem to use much so sticking with Virgin might also make sense ... basically getting the second # and just trying another service was part of it ... I don't always just do cheap as dirt (though frequently do... lol). Thanks to all who offered some input!

tanya

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Cybercat, based on how you describe your usage profile, it might be worthwhile considering using a calling app.  Popular apps that are often discussed include fongo and hangouts.  These apps consume a bit of mobile data, but no additional costs are involved.  For heavy callers, I would not recommend these options.  I think they are perfect for light usage.  In the case of hangouts, you can get a google voice number the next time you visit the US and Amerifriends can call you for free. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Cybercat wrote:

Hi all

New to forum. I have a dual SIM phone (Ulefone Armor 2, seems to be fine for second 3G and 4G lines, unlike many dual SIMS) and am looking to hook up a second line mainly to have a second line - and do Can to US talking. My main line is Virgin, has 10 gigs of data, unlimited Canada, anything for $54 ... It's $15 to add on the US coverage so I went looking around for other options to do this one specific thing.

If I were to add the $10 a month, option, then add on the $8 US minute option, would, a) the US minutes carry over monthly, and b) is there anything I am missing about this not working? I don't call the US a lot but would like the coverage and do not ever go to the USA. I live in Eastern Ontario, work in Ottawa, drive all over this province and occassionally PQ and MB but my prime number can do anything I want so I am just looking for something occassional use at this point, mainly to call the USA and PM seemed like that would be the best option.

thanks!

Tanya

Have you looked into VOIP options for your US calling?

Not sure if this is more about the second line or about savings... If I do the math right, you are already paying 2/3 of your Virgin add-on if you maintain the 50minutes/50text for $10 (the cheapest plan Public Mobile offers at this point, unlike pure prepaid providers Public Mobile doesn't offer pay-as-you-go options) - if you call 125 minutes/month or more to the US, the Virgin add-on is the cheaper option of the two discussed here.

LEGO

@Cybercat 

FYI, on $10 plan, calls to voicemail will deduct from in-plan minutes. To avoid this, I suggest retrieving your Voicemail messages by using landline phone. 

Have a great day!!! Woman Happy

Cybercat

Perfect - I think I will give it a shot! Thanks again!

LEGO

Minutes in $8 Long Distance add-on will roll over to the next months until they used up (works to make calls from Canada). Woman Happy

Cybercat

I believe it's this one, unless I read, incorrectly:

Long Distance

$8 for 200 mins (US & Canada) and $15 for 400 International mins (includes US & Canada). Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle.

But if it carries over the mins every month, then it would give me a good chunk of mins every few months? I think?

tanya

Cybercat

Hi, and thanks! I believe it's the $8 one for calls made from Canada, and which could include inter-provincial, if I am not careful, too. Basically I end up getting this plan for cheaper than Virgin plus the extra number....

LEGO

Hello Tanya,

Are you talking about $8 Long Distance add-on (works to make calls from Canada) or $8 U.S. Talk Only (works to make calls while you are in US)?

Minutes in $8 Long Distance add-on will roll over to the next months until they used up.

Minutes in $8 U.S. Talk Only add-on will expire 10 days after your purchase

meocon

Hello Tanya, US add on cannot roll over for next month. Also, US add on just for 10 days only.

Need Help? Let's chat.