cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add ons while travelling

Erinswist
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do can I add a US roaming plan of if I am already traveling but I havent registered for online?  When I try to register for online to access  my account it tries to text message me, which I wont receive while already travelling. Its a catch 22.

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Erinswist wrote:

How do can I add a US roaming plan of if I am already traveling but I havent registered for online?  When I try to register for online to access  my account it tries to text message me, which I wont receive while already travelling. Its a catch 22.

Make sure to connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile. One or the other may have reception where you are.

611, *611 and 18554public (may need to be a different phone) should all work one way or another.

If you have a pre-registered payment card on the account and you have your 4-digit PIN then you can use those dial-in services to buy the add-ons.

@softech wrote:

@Erinswist wrote:

did you try turn on your phone to see if text can be received?  According to an older thread back in 2017, incoming  text receive is turned on by default:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Will-I-receive-text-message-while-...

Credit: @srlawren : 

-------------------------------------------------------------

for Public Mobile customers, incoming SMS still seems to work in the USA without a roaming add-on.  I have speculated 3 possible causes for this in the past:

1) left open by mistake and never fixed, and/or

2) PM had to allow incoming SMS in order to be able to send you the welcome text that offers your info about the roaming add-ons for purchase, and/or

3) they left it open on purpose, in order to entice you to buy an add-on where you might not have otherwise.  You don't bother springing for any roaming add-ons, then receive a text from a friend, family member, or coworker, but are unable to respond to it.  Maybe you break down and purchase at least the US roaming texting add-on in order to be able to do so.

So, it's either a mistake, a side-effect, or a attempted clever marketing ploy.  Or some combination of the above.

Since that thread, Public Mobile has officially said that incoming text messages are included while you are in the U.S. even without a roaming add-on. At the time, it was implied that this had something to do with countering a bug that caused customers to be unable to receive text messages after coming back to Canada and the roaming add-on expiring.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Erinswist , it has been mentioned in the forum in the past that you can receive text while in the US without having to buy any add-ons.  You might be okay with registering your account.  Give it a try.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Erinswist wrote:

did you try turn on your phone to see if text can be received?  According to an older thread back in 2017, incoming  text receive is turned on by default:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Will-I-receive-text-message-while-...

Credit: @srlawren : 

-------------------------------------------------------------

for Public Mobile customers, incoming SMS still seems to work in the USA without a roaming add-on.  I have speculated 3 possible causes for this in the past:

1) left open by mistake and never fixed, and/or

2) PM had to allow incoming SMS in order to be able to send you the welcome text that offers your info about the roaming add-ons for purchase, and/or

3) they left it open on purpose, in order to entice you to buy an add-on where you might not have otherwise.  You don't bother springing for any roaming add-ons, then receive a text from a friend, family member, or coworker, but are unable to respond to it.  Maybe you break down and purchase at least the US roaming texting add-on in order to be able to do so.

So, it's either a mistake, a side-effect, or a attempted clever marketing ploy.  Or some combination of the above.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Erinswist 

Was your self serve account not set-up when you activated?

Try reaching out to mods by private message.

CLICK HERE to private message mods 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Erinswist wrote:

Can you try calling 611 from your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.