cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Possible SIM swap

Update on the situation

I was advised by an account manager to go to one of two store locations in my city. I did, and was sadly greeted by this: IMG_20201030_152431-min.jpg

This was the same for both locations. This was a 100km round trip as one location was in the west of the city, and the other at the far eastern side.

I was just told by an admin working on my situation that my old, legitimate phone number was now unavailable and that we couldn't do anything. This honestly leaves me quite confused. An admin has stated that they are now working on the issue again. Thank you.

Turns out I need to contact you guys in 30 days to attempt to fix this since your system only allows one number change per billing cycle.

From my understanding, if I stop paying my account, my number is held in limbo for 90 days (as expressed by the self-serve account). I tried calling said number and it is indeed "deactivated". How is it that there's nothing that we can do to fix this? Where is this number and why was it switched at all? I understand that this might be an SIM attack, but are we now letting the bad parties get away with this? And if that's the case, why is there nothing that can be done? It seems odd to me that some person could maliciously make this happen, but that the people managing and serving us can't.

I comprehend that Public Mobile operates on a community-based customer support, but is there no exceptions to be made to escalate such a situation higher? Perhaps someone could contact me directly?

This is very frustrating.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma 

WHAT?!! This is unacceptable customer support you are recieving and you never should have been sent to a kiosk for this issue. @Catherine_T or @Alan_K  should get on top of why you are recieving this kind of customer support. I suggest you open a new service request and get a more senior member of the moderator team to handle your issue.

@Oana_S 

Can you step in and help this customer?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma 

I'm trying to get you some better support. Keep an eye on your private messages. Hopefully this will happen quickly for you.

Highlighted

@darlicious wrote:

@Pigma 

WHAT?!! This is unacceptable customer support you are recieving and you never should have been sent to a kiosk for this issue. @Catherine_T or @Alan_K  should get on top of why you are recieving this kind of customer support. I suggest you open a new service request and get a more senior member of the moderator team to handle your issue.

@Oana_S 

Can you step in and help this customer?

I can't thank you enough for your help. Much appreciated. 😃

Highlighted

@darlicious wrote:

@Pigma 

I'm trying to get you some better support. Keep an eye on your private messages. Hopefully this will happen quickly for you.

Will do. Thank you kindly.

Highlighted

Update for new mods stepping into this:

My latest message with a mod on this issue: 

"I've checked again and we tried to force a bit the system but it did not allow us to change back the number because you've (note from OP/user: this wasn't done by me. This is the issue I'm trying to fix!) changed the number once and you are allowed to do it only 1 time per billing cycle.

This means you will need to wait 30 days in order to be able to change the number again. However, we cannot guarantee that you have 100% to receive back that number even if it's kept by the system.

Please reach us in 30 days and we will be more than happy to try to give you back your beloved number".

I understand that there are security features which limit abuse by users and clients, but it's quite amazing to me that no one at Public Mobile would be able to override this at all. This happened either because there was a system malfunction/error, or a malicious person attempted to SIM swap me. In any case, I'm left in awe at how an attacker or a system bug has the upper hand compared to Public Mobile system admins.

Is there really nothing else to do besides wait 30 days in order to merely attempt to solve the issue? This is getting quite compicated.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma 

This might be a problem that in a way is out of Pm s hands in the aspect that it might be WCC  regulations preventing them from returning your number immediately but it is your original number. However there should be a way for them to deal with telus to retrieve the phone number from the holding pool and reserve it to give it back to you in 30 days. The managers need to reach out to their contacts with telus and make this arrangement. They don't want to guarantee something that they can't 100% be sure they can do but it sounds like they will be trying their very best to do so. This is a major inconvenience for you unfortunately....just keep the pressure on to ensure they do everything can to right this wrong perpetuated by neither of you.....dang fraudsters!

Highlighted

If they could name those things restricting them that fall under law and regulation, then I would have to agree. My situation up until now has simply been a lot of reaching out and hoping for the best.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma most customers receive their number back within days. I'm thinking because you changed sims, it messed up the system? not sure... maybe the perpetrators changed your number just before you were able to change your sim. 

it does make sense what the mods are saying. they don't have that ability to change your number before the 30 days mark.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pigma 

Can you ask a mod that if you open another PM account right now whether they can get your number back right away?

Need Help? Let's chat.