cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Pixel on Oreo tries to send Int'l SMS every restart - thoughts?

@youbme if I had to guess, I'd say it's a rogue app doing that, rather than Android Oreo itself.  If you have the time and patience, try a factory reset and then when powered back up, don't have it restore all your previous apps.  Try it with just the factory apps installed, reboot a few times, and see if it still does it.  Then try reinstalling your apps one at a time (yikes) and reboot after each one to see when the behaviour recommences.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is good suggestion @srlawren, though I was hoping to avoid that...

I only got this phone in June, coming from a OP2 that stopped working on me suddenly, and I tried to be extremely minimal about the apps I installed. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just start over and see if that resolves the issue.

Oracle

The moderator's role is not to troubleshoot customer's hardware.  Public Mobile does not sell hardware and should not be asked to provide technical support.  If the network is root cause of the problem, they should be involved.

Oracle

@passiveegg wrote:

as i said before, best option is to messsage the moderators and see what they say. 

@passiveegg, moderators won't have any trouble shooting tips for hardware issues as I am sure this is.  With it being a Google product I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is transmitting the OP's info (Google's number one product) somewhere behind the scenes

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *

Quick update: I have uninstalled Google Allo (never used it, automatically came with Oreo), updated CarrierServicesApp, and reviewed app permissions for SMS.... still getting messages.

Will do some more troubleshooting later and update you. Though it is looking like Google is doing what it does best....

Oracle

@youbme It's not only an Android issue. Like you I have an old plan with Canada wide messaging and get that error now and then on my iPhone. AND always after a reboot! In my case I am quite certain it is Apple trying to set up iMessage.

Problem will be gone on next renewal as I'm "downgrading" to the 90 day $90 3G plan; losing LTE, gaining 1/2 GB data, and global texting. Great trade off as I never used 1 GB in 30 days anyway.

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.

Well, I've given up. I've decreed to go the same direction as you @Luddite, I'm upgrading to the $90/3g/1.5gb plan, same price as what I have now with more data, intl messaging and slower data (I'm in rural Ontario, so I've already been getting slower speed most of the time anyway).

That resolves the issue for now, but I'm still suspicious of Google's prying eye...

I know this won't prevent you from actually receiving the message, but you could do what I do.  I purposely block all text messages from Public Mobile, including all top up reminders, the thank you for your payment message, and my absolute least favourite one that I consider nothing but spam reminding me about CCTS.  I wish there was an opt out but I doubt that would ever happen as these are likely considered "important" service messsages.  Sorry, those message are just a pet peeve of mine.   Back on topic, those text messages coming from Public Mobile will be shown as coming from some short code number, and with Android Messages, those messages can be blocked/archived.  You would still receive the messages but you'll never be notified and they won't show up in your standard SMS inbox.

Another update...

Thanks to @Luddite, I reviewed the plans and just switched to a 3G plan with 1.5GB and Int'l Messaging - SO, I can now see messages being sent by my phone to 7723, but they count as 'minutes' rather than 'sms' even when it shows as an 'Outgoing Text'.

I did a quick search online and didn't find anything for 7723 ...I doubt I'll get to the bottom of this, but if anyone has further thoughts, I'm all ears!

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Same issue here, getting outgoing texts to 7723 that say "Minutes" for usage type. On the $10 plan, so I'm kinda worried about running out out texts because of this.

Using the Essential Phone, on Oreo 8.1 and the April 5 security patch.

Edit: ok, I think I have it figured out. @youbme, if you dont give the phone app sms permissions, does this still happen? I think that fixed it for me, after wasting a bunch of texts though -.-