cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone "permanently locked" after entering incorrect SIM code

drs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I've sent this question to the MODS 5 hours ago and haven't heard anything back yet... so thought I'd post here too.  I'm new, so my apologies if I'm going about getting help the wrong way!

Here's my question:

Last night I created a new PublicMobile account and activated it tansfering my current number from fido to the new account.  At the time of the PM account creation I was asked to enter a 4-digit passcode (which I was asked to verify).  The account was successfully created & I can logon and see the account details.

When I powered the phone on after installing the new SIM card from PublicMobile I was asked for a 4 digit passcode - I used the one that I'd entered during the PM account creation but the phone said it was not valid.  I was given 10 attempts - I tried a couple of numbers that were close to the one I was sure I'd verified originally, but nothing worked.  I hoped after 10 trys I'd get be given instructions on how to  reset the code, but no, the message was that the phone is permanently locked and cannot be unlocked.

The SIM that was used with Fido is no longer active and calls to the number go straight to a voicemail that's not been setup.  However, with the Fido SIM in the phone, I don't get the message that the phone is locked, just that it's not on a network.  The "locked" message only results when the PublicMobile SIM is in the phone.

I phoned Fido & they got the IMEI number of the phone from me, went away for a few minutes and then said the phone had been unlocked.  They gave me a 16 digit code that they said I "might" have to enter into the phone.  When I powered the phone back on, I get the same "permanently locked" message.  I took the phone to the Fido store, but they new nothing about resetting it.

I phone Fido customer service back & they told me that the phone will have to be reset by the manufacturer - it is an LG G5.  I'm hoping that's not necessary!

So, I'm hoping you can help - can I reset the phone?  Or is it the SIM card that's "locked" and can it be reset?  Can I buy another SIM card for the phone & change the SIM card number on my Public Mobile account?  (later note: I have two phones that I wanted to setup on PM - one went just fine - I swapped the SIM card from it into the "locked" phone & still get the message that it's locked; when I put the SIM from the "locked" phone into the other one, it also worked fine (with the phone number that had been assigned to that SIM)... so it looks like it is the phone, not SIM, that's locked. 

12 REPLIES 12

Kaylee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@geopublic wrote:

@Kaylee wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Kaylee wrote:

This has happened to me as well, though I have a Samsung S7 phone, I put in the incorrect unlock code 3x, and now it needs my PUK code. I have tried everything I can, I contacted the moderator team here on Public Mobile multiple times, and I need my phone to be working again asap. I have all the right numbers to unlock it once I receive the PUK code from here, (I think) and I don't know how to speed things up - I have been trying to figure this out since Tuesday. I got the numbers for my initial Public Mobile SIM card, though none of them worked. So now I am attempting to get the PUK for a new SIM card from Public. I am also new at this, and I don't know what else I can do. If my phone is "permanently locked" where would I take it to get it unlocked? Any ideas? Thanks!!

Unfortunately, changing sim cards won't help, nor can the moderators be of any assistance.  Since your phone is locked to a another carrier, you need the master reset code as being discussed earlier.  Public Mobile does not have access to this code.

Ok, thank you! Do you know how would I go about doing that? 

If your phone is a Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat
To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

@Kaylee wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Kaylee wrote:

This has happened to me as well, though I have a Samsung S7 phone, I put in the incorrect unlock code 3x, and now it needs my PUK code. I have tried everything I can, I contacted the moderator team here on Public Mobile multiple times, and I need my phone to be working again asap. I have all the right numbers to unlock it once I receive the PUK code from here, (I think) and I don't know how to speed things up - I have been trying to figure this out since Tuesday. I got the numbers for my initial Public Mobile SIM card, though none of them worked. So now I am attempting to get the PUK for a new SIM card from Public. I am also new at this, and I don't know what else I can do. If my phone is "permanently locked" where would I take it to get it unlocked? Any ideas? Thanks!!

Unfortunately, changing sim cards won't help, nor can the moderators be of any assistance.  Since your phone is locked to a another carrier, you need the master reset code as being discussed earlier.  Public Mobile does not have access to this code.

If your phone is a Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat
To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

Hope this helps!

Kaylee

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Kaylee wrote:

@Kaylee wrote:

Part of the reason that I am almost certain that your phone is asking for the SIM Network Unlock PUK and not the sim card's PUK has to with how you wouldn't be asked that for a new sim card.

1. Start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170
  2. Inform the rep that you would like to unlock you S7 or S7 edge and provide the IMEI & Carrier info
  3. In a few (2+) days, you will get the unlock code via email.  

Kaylee

drs

A follow-up on this issue.

The phone was NOT locked to the previous service provider.  It was the device itself that was locked, not the SIM.  It was 'unlocked' using a "brute force method" by a company in Langley, BC (Crackerz) they charged me $40 for this service (which included mailing the phone back to me).  I live in Victoria, but couldn't find anone local who could unlock it - hence my decision to send to Crackerz.

Thanks for the answers various members sent me.

Permanent locks are a security feature to prevent the phone from being used again.  Locking to s SIM from a particular chain or carriers is a feature to keep your phone in the family so to say, and is now maditory to provide a unlock code upon outright purchase of the phone is still locked to a carrier, or upon request when a choice of carrier or perhaps a trip over seas is wanted.

When you type the wrong code 10 times, as you’ve seen, the security feature bricks the phone.  You may be stuck having to get a new device.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This isn't a "LG" specific feature. All phones have that even iphones can come locked, though they are not suppose to anymore in canada specifically.

drs

Thanks, I've verified it is indeed the phone that is locked.  Apparently that is a "feature" of LG phones - after a numbef of attempts to logon to the phone after a SIM card change (using who knows what as the code - I guess I must have been given a code at sometime, but no idea what it is now) the phone permanently locks.  The only solution, I gather, is to send it to LG or to go to a company that does "brute force" unlocks.  I'll try the latter.

@drs Try your PM SIM in another unlocked phone. This will confirm whether the issue is with PM/SIM or your phone.

Does seem it is still locked to Fido. No code is required to activate a phone with a PM SIM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your phone was locked to Fido. When you entered the wrong unlock code too many times which you were suppose to get from fido you permanently locked it. I don't know if you can unlock it now without the manufacture help now.

Need Help? Let's chat.