cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No more LTE?

Are LTE plans gone for good?  I heard the new iPhone 12 will not support 3G anymore. I was planning to buy it but then I won’t be able to use PublicMobile

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: No more LTE?

@tankrd wrote:

Are LTE plans gone for good?  I heard the new iPhone 12 will not support 3G anymore. I was planning to buy it but then I won’t be able to use PublicMobile

There's no truth to that. Carriers are still very dependent on HSPA networks.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tankrd The data on PM is over the LTE network it just restricted to I believe 3MB/sec.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 6.45.57 PM.png

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@tankrd PM uses LTE, but the speed is limited to 3mbs.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@tankrd Im sure iPhone 12 will support 3g. the majority of North America is still on the 3g. it will take at least 5 years to phase it out. by then public would have moved to LTE and 5g

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tankrd wrote:

There's no truth to that. Carriers are still very dependent on HSPA networks.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve read somewhere that iPhone 12 pro will have no 3G but I guess it doesn’t matter if PM runs on LTE. Thank you all for your input. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@tankrd it matters cause pm uses HSPA for voice calls. so wherever you heard that would mean you wouldn't be able to make calls with the iPhone 12

Highlighted

Looks like it's HSUPA and HSDPA and no HSPA+.

So voice calls would still work just fine. HSPA+ is an evolution HSPA (HSDPA&HSUPA).

So Apple might just be choosing to cripple some of the advanced speed of 3G to simplify the radio, since these days its mostly used for voice and LTE for data anyway.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar 

The specs there might be wrong or they're simplifying the description. They're not likely to go backwards.

Highlighted

@cellphoneuser1 

Yeah since nothings official, who knows -- but indeed it would make more sense to only support the "later" 3G HSPA variants...

Need Help? Let's chat.