cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data and can no longer set APN

Happenis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Switched my wife from Koodo to Public Mobile. Waited 7 full days for the port to go through. Her phone runs Android 8.1. Now on the 8th day since changing carriers we finally have some services. But no data. I paid for LTE service. In fact, since putting the PM sim in her phone we can no longer set APN at all. It's grayed out. I've had about 15 Android devices so I feel as though I'm pretty good with them. But I'm stumped and she's pissed.

I've done two factory resets. 

Any suggestions?  Thank you

35 REPLIES 35

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

When I had the disable APN addition function on my essential phone, I did some research on the topic.  Apparently google put in a toggle feature in android 8.1 to allow oems to easily turn the add APN feature on and off.  Likely this is a setting that takes defaults stored in build.prop or something like that.  In any event, it amounts to SIM locking the phone as you are experiencing right now.  I reason that Public Mobile does not work because it is a lesser known brand and the oem in their hacking of stock android decided to butcher the apn configuration file and remove certain "extraneous"carriers from the stock list.  Unless you are able to restore the add APN feature, your phone is essentially SIM locked from being able to run data on this service.  Sorry for the bad news.

Edit:  If you did not mention that the phone worked with Koodo, I would be commenting on the band compatibility.  I assume this being a Chinese phone not destined for the North American market will lack band 4 LTE, but will likely have band 7 as the only compatible band.  The 3G bands are fine because the phone work on Koodo. 

Happenis

Thank you.

I know how to set APN. I just can't do it since swapping my Koodo sim for the Public Mobile one. Something happened and the APN screen is now very faded looking. Nothing can be added or deleted. 

No data 😞

Happenis

Thanks for your message. I wish it was the Essential. It's a phone I ordered online from China. Brand is Umidigi. Just frustrating because everything worked while on Koodo. I know it makes no sense but once I changed sims I have this. I cannot add new APNs not can I delete what's there. Or apparently use what's there. The APN screen is very faded. Nothing clickable.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Happenis, what phone is this and where was this phone sourced?  Are you able to add new APN?  My essential phone had the add APN feature disabled for a period of time when on android 8.1.  The issue has since been fixed and I can now add APNs again.  I did reach out to the CRTC on this, I am not sure if that action helped or not. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Happenis I have moved your post to appropriate location for better visibility. 

Have you tried adding a new APN settings instead? Follow the settings found on this site: https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en

Need Help? Let's chat.