cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need PUK unlock code

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey guys setting up a new account and iPhone is asking for a PUK number. How do I get this?

D235439E-C896-46DF-9B91-504867935839.png

9 REPLIES 9

Phones have a screen-lock PIN/passcode. They only allow a certain number (typically 10) failed attempts to guess the code - and once the limit is reached they can "permanently" brick, or erase all data on device, or enforce some kind of (increasingly long and frustrating) delay before allowing any more guessing attempts. This reduces vulnerability to methodical brute-force attacks.

The PUK will lockout the SIM card (and the contacts, messages, apps, data, etc stored on it) before the device itself locks out, usually after 3-5 guesses. It's supposedly less inconvenient to obtain the PUK from the carrier than to replace a stubbornly locked phone.

But it's not at all convenient with Public Mobile because there's no store or kiosk, there's only the back-and-forth-questions-game-with-the-Mods thing which delays for at least a couple days (or even many days) before you can get the secret number and use your phone again.

The user PUK should be displayed in Self-Serve.

Or, at the very least, there should be some sort of "Request PUK" button which will email (to the Self-Serve registered email address) once a PUK has been assigned. Along with a"Remove PUK" or "Change PUK" button. 

I think this might be the better way to go because some people might want PUK (in case, say, their kids/teens keep trying to swipe the phone and guess a path to the internet), while people flat-out don't want to allow reliance on carrier-side controls or useless PUK lockouts at all.  (It can even be argued that PUKs reduce overall security because they won't allow the phone to continue to the point where it enables its own built-in security/encryption/locations technologies.)

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

why do you need to enter a security pin to begin with? this is a new sim new phone. i must be missing something

Usually a phone asking for a PUK code means it needs to be unlocked.

You say new phone...did you turn it on and set anything up before you inserted the SIM?

While you're waiting for the moderators, you could use 2 of your 10 attempts and try 1234 or 0000.

The PUK of a SIM card wouldn't ever be 1234 or 0000.  As for the default PIN, it is 1234 for all Public Mobile SIM cards.  However, based on the displayed on-screen message, @Mountainmaxman is beyond that point.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

why do you need to enter a security pin to begin with? this is a new sim new phone. i must be missing something

Usually a phone asking for a PUK code means it needs to be unlocked.

You say new phone...did you turn it on and set anything up before you inserted the SIM?

While you're waiting for the moderators, you could use 2 of your 10 attempts and try 1234 or 0000.

Mountainmaxman

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It can take 48 - 72 hours for a response.

If it is your sim card's security PIN that you've entered numerous times incorrectly, that would be why would need the sim card's PUK.

Mountainmaxman

Done, how long does it normally take for a reply ? And why do they even get locked? This is a first for me 

Submit a ticket to a moderator by clicking on the question mark on the bottom right.

Mountainmaxman

No that is wrong, the phone has been verified it’s unlocked, it’s public SIM card that is locked, even tried it in other phones. Public needs to get me this number. Locked phones comes up sim not supported in iPhones 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need to contact your previous provider to unlock your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.