Did you mean: 

Galaxy A5 - Unable to Complete Call Setup

SudburyCustomer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New Customer / Account in good standing

Samsung Galaxy A5 / SM-A500W

City of Greater Sudbury area

SMS works / Data works

https://willmyphonework.net/ indicates that 3G service should be reliable.

My SIM card works in another device and everything works normally. Other Public Mobile customers on other hardware work fine in my area.

------

My issue:

After dialing a 10-digit number the phone seems to pause for several seconds before the call setup fails. On a rare occasion the receiving phone gets a ring, but the call setup fails on both sides.

When receiving a call I get a notice on my phone that there is an incoming call, but upon attempting to answer the call the call setup fails and I get a notice of a missed call.

The kicker? There are a few locations (like inside my house) that have reliable voice service. I can setup and complete a call as expected.

This issue occurs when operating in the following network modes:

GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect)

GSM/HSPA (auto connect)

HSPA only

GSM only fails since there is no carrier support

I am currently unable to complete a call and am showing:

signal strength of -109 dBm and 31 asu

*#0011#

LTE RRC: IDLE Band:7 BW: 20Mhz

RSRP -114 RSRQ -15 SNR: 1.8

State: Registered

Service: AVAILABLE

IMEI Certi: PASS,1

MIPI TEST SUCCESS

3 REPLIES 3

SudburyCustomer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Data and texting still work in GSM/HSPA (autoconnect) and HSPA only modes.

HSPA only mode is very slow for data service.

-----

I am able to ping 8.8.8.8 with a 999 byte payload reliably on LTE and with about 10% packet loss (and 500ms latencies) across HSPA. Above 1000 bytes results in 100% loss using PingTools 4.27.

I realize that testing IP services is different than testing voice, but there is a bit of information in there.

-----

If this were a SIP service I would be guessing that the small payload SIP call setup frames were crossing the network, but the larger payload RTP audio streams were getting dropped.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SudburyCustomer when you set it to HSPA only mode, does your data and texting still work?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It would seem like a reception issue perhaps based on the symptoms. 

Need Help? Let's chat.