cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer my public mobile number to Fido

KahinaAyad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

fido is trying to get my current public mobile number but since my public mobile account ended, the process cant be done.

can you please help?

23 REPLIES 23

@terrilin wrote:

Hi, I tried to ported my PM number to FIDO last night, but it's failed to port, and I cannot login to my PM account anymore.

My PM account is under 90-Day plan and still good until June 10 (next auto payment cycle). Fido customer also not sure what's going on there; can someone help retrieving my PM account # so I can contact Fido to re-port my number?

Thank you!

Since your Public Mobile account got closed out and your service actually stopped working, it really sounds as if your your number really has been ported.

Wth the number portability rules, the customer is really only supposed to have contact with the new carrier and they are supposed to do all the legwork to have your phone number transfered (in this case, Fido).  Public Mobile can definitely provide you with the old Public Mobile account number (ask Moderator_Tream for it)

@terrilin

Public account would close only if port completed (number is no longer here but over on Fido)

If account had error or account was expired you would still be able to log into self serve etc

This really sounds more like a Fido problem to me....

@terrilin wrote:

No there's a porting error on that end, so I'm stuck with a temp Fido number (new number). And my PM account is automatically closed, and I don't remember my PM account number >.<

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I agree, it sure seems like Fido ported your number and your account was closed, as intended. Of course if you need your old account number, follow the great advice above and contact the mods.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you contact mods they maybe able to get your account number but to me it sounds like the PM side did exactly what it was supposed to and Fido or the rep messed up.

BTW why are you going to Fido if you don't mind me asking? 

terrilin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No there's a porting error on that end, so I'm stuck with a temp Fido number (new number). And my PM account is automatically closed, and I don't remember my PM account number >.<

jp2

I'm not sure but what you are saying sounds to me like the port went through so your PM account was automatically closed and your service stopped. Did Fido give you a sim? Try using that if so

terrilin

Nope, that has stopped working this morning as well 😞

jp2

Is your pm sim still working? 

terrilin

Hi, I tried to ported my PM number to FIDO last night, but it's failed to port, and I cannot login to my PM account anymore.

My PM account is under 90-Day plan and still good until June 10 (next auto payment cycle). Fido customer also not sure what's going on there; can someone help retrieving my PM account # so I can contact Fido to re-port my number?

Thank you!

srlawren

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

To my knowledge it works the same way with all carriers, account must be active. Of course I could be wrong about that. 

@Rockdaddy22 you are not wrong--account must be active and in good standing to port a number out.  @stonechucker did a great job of explaning what that means to a post-paid or pre-paid account right under your original reply above.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller

$10 is nothing if the current fido promo is what you want.

@horemansus, the way I see it is, your phone number is assigned to via your original carrier, whether it be cellular, land line, or VoIP.  You are able to port your number due to legislation, and the terms are that the carriers will do so while your accont is active, or in financial terms 'current'.

prepaid is only current, when you put the value for the service upfront, and your service hasn't elasped the valid terms of the agreement.  Post paid, you continue to be bill for your costs after you've completed the 'term' of your billing period, and begin your new term immediately.  The difference here is, with prepaid.. if your term expires and you wish to keep the phone number, you must pay to play (or keep your number).

I don't see why this is a problem.  If you're going to switch carriers, and wish to keep your phone number, simply follow the rules.  Activate your new plan 2 or 3 days prior to the end of your service, and all is good.

Rockdaddy22

To my knowledge it works the same way with all carriers, account must be active. Of course I could be wrong about that. 

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So it seems that a suspended account can not transfer to another carrier?

The account must be fully active?

No reason for this. It would be a plus if this were unlicked so suspended numbers can transfer.

Rockdaddy22

I think you misunderstood what the customer said. I think they were saying, Fido said Public could reactivate the PM account for a day so they could port out. 

@kav2001c wrote:

@KahinaAyadFido does not "Activate for a day"

They are postpaid, so activate for a month, you cancel (port right away) and they refund you 29 days hence you only actually pay for a single day

Public is prepaid so not possible

$10 is cheapest option if you want to save number

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@KahinaAyad, if by chance your account is now suspended or if you want to leave for Fido, $40 to switch over is a bit much. But, one can't port over to another company without an active phone number. Instead, as the previous responders in this message, is to get the $10 deal for 30 days

Although I went from Fido to Public Mobile, I was disgusted with how Fido kept on charging me mystery fees every couple of months. I would spend about an hour on the phone or countless emails back and forth to reverse the charges. It's a real drag. Fido no longer offers Fido dollars, and there is no longer Fido dollars reward program too. Public Mobile keeps their fees low because there are no face-2-face retail stores. No call-in customer support. Everything is done online. Public Mobile also has many different ways to even lower your phone bill. 

So, just my two cents, stay with Public Mobile. 

Porting is the same for every carrier, whether prepaid or postpaid.  The account you wish to port from MUST be active.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

As @kav2001c suggests, the best possible outcome is to ask the moderator team to renew to the cheapest plan to make the account active for porting.  As a customer leaving the service, it is not like asking for goodwill makes sense. 

@KahinaAyadFido does not "Activate for a day"

They are postpaid, so activate for a month, you cancel (port right away) and they refund you 29 days hence you only actually pay for a single day

Public is prepaid so not possible

$10 is cheapest option if you want to save number

jp2

You could contact the mods to have them change your plan to a cheaper 10 dollar plan so you don't have to pay 40. There is no call center. 

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

• Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get help with you account.
    • They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue (More details).

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue.

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time]
    • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
    • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
    • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator

KahinaAyad

How do I contact the call center?

KahinaAyad

The account was suspended yesterday,

im not paying 40$ just to activate it and not using it.

fido said that they can activate the account for a day just to transfer the number

jp2

If your account is suspended just make a payment to activate the account then you can port. If your account is expired (not active for more than 90 days) your number is gone

Need Help? Let's chat.