cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile vouchers now available in Canadian Tire stores (not only at CT gas bars)

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

FYI, for those looking to buy PM vouchers, I just wanted bring to your attention that many regular Canadian Tire stores also carry them now, not just Canadian Tire Gas Bars, even though PM's voucher retailer list only indicates CT gas bars.  I've recently discovered them in CT stores in Toronto.  There may be a service fee added to your purchase which may vary depending on location.  Check with your local store. 

They are available at the customer service desk, which will have a ringed booklet including prepaid top-ups from various mobile carriers.  The Public Mobile vouchers are available in denominations of $5, $20, and $40.   Note, these cards pictured are not the actual vouchers, but the cashier's scan cards.
PMVoucher_1.jpgPMVoucher_2.jpg

Reverse side:

PMVoucher_3.jpg

On their gift card rack (CT now carries gift cards for various retailers), you may also see this card, which you can bring to the customer service desk to get the actual voucher:

PMVoucher_4.jpg

29 REPLIES 29

dubey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks guys

You're right @Anonymous.That's my mistake!!

I have erase my false information

Wow wow not twice for taxes..one is WIDELY sufficient!! Smiley Wink @dubey

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lieux wrote:

The 5% which I mentioned is just for voucher company (?) but more you have the taxes for sure.. @dubey

You might be thinking recharge.com. Buying a voucher in a store incurs the total of your local taxes. in BC - 5% GST, 7% BC

@dubey wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dubey wrote:

I purchased $60 today and was taxed on top of that. Is that normal? Never used a voucher or even pre-paid service before

Yes

Taxes gets charged at the the time of purchasing any top up or voucher, whether it's through publicmobile.ca or through a retail location. This is normal, and is in contrast to the way the purchase of gift cards usually works.

Thanks

Am I taxed twice? For example say my plan is $50 am I paying tax on top of that 50 as well as the $60 giftcard I purchased?

You are only charged tax at the time of top up purchase.  So, while your plan may cost $50+tax, you've already paid the tax when you bought the voucher. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dubey wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dubey wrote:

I purchased $60 today and was taxed on top of that. Is that normal? Never used a voucher or even pre-paid service before

Yes

Taxes gets charged at the the time of purchasing any top up or voucher, whether it's through publicmobile.ca or through a retail location. This is normal, and is in contrast to the way the purchase of gift cards usually works.

Thanks

Am I taxed twice? For example say my plan is $50 am I paying tax on top of that 50 as well as the $60 giftcard I purchased?

Just once. As you saw it's the taxes in your province. I guess you're probably in ON. I'm in BC. It's 12%.

@Lieux wrote:

Yes you have a fee to pay with a voucher..about 5% of the amount.. @dubey

What do you mean by 5% fee?  Too my knowledge, some retailers do charge a fee, but it's a fixed amount per voucher.  If you mean sales tax, the percentages varries around the country, and can end up being a lot more than 5%.

dubey

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dubey wrote:

Yes

Thanks

dubey

@Lieux wrote:

Yes you have a fee to pay with a voucher..about 5% of the amount.. @dubey

It was 13% HST on top of the $60

@dubey wrote:

Yes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dubey wrote:

No escaping taxes. You pay for them at point of purchase or in your credit card.

dubey

SD08

@Ricky123489 wrote:

What if i need $60?

@Ricky123489

The CT gas bars sell the vouchers in various denominations up to $100.  Some might even have real-time vouchers which can be any amount you want.  If the exact denomination you need isn't available, just get something higher than what you actually need and the extra amount can stay in your account as available funds until your next renewal.  Go higher rather than lower, because there is often a small service charge with each voucher purchase.

Ricky123489
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What if i need $60?

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

CT gas bar in Edmonton charges $1 service fee for $100 (max) load up.

They treat this as gift cards but we all know they are not those type of cards that we gift to someone. It clearly says Top-ups lol

Seasonal isn't public mobile runs year round or its a seasonal service lol
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

SD08

@NDesai

Thanks for sharing your finding.

Indeed, I'm surprised at just how much it is YMMV.  Usually, large chains have things like this standardized.  One store scanned the $40 voucher for a total of $45.85 after 13% tax, which meant a service charge of $0.65 ($0.575+tx)?  Another store scanned it to exactly $45.20, which meant no service fee at all.  Yet another store said they didn't have them right now because it was "seasonal."  LOL, since when are prepaid mobile top-ups seasonal?  Cat Frustrated  

Thx @NDesai for updating us much appreciate it
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

So i went today to CT to find out. On the GC rack, i found little card same as the last pic in the first post. I went to ask if they will accept CT GC for this. But unfortunately, they had no idea about that vouchers. They tried to scan but nothing came up. I showed the SKU# but still nothing came up. They couldn't find the ring booklet. The person just told me that this is considered a GC so most likley they won't accept CT GC for it if when its set up properly in their system. Huge YMMV. 

If they charge fees for it, i don't see why they wouldn't accept their gift card. Whos gonna actually not pay directly on public mobile and pay the fees lol. 

In Hamilton ontario I used my Canadian tire money only in store you can't redeem at gas bar only store can redeem as far I know in store u can use your ct Money for anything

SD08

@Wonder_why wrote:

I am pretty sure PM will not accepted beside PM gift cards, might accepted Telus or Kudoo 

@Wonder_why

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if you were trying to answer @NDesai's question, he was asking if Canadian Tire stores accepted Canadian Tire gift cards as payment when buying Public Mobile vouchers from CT stores.  The answer is, they may or may not accept the gift cards, depending on location.  Only the specific CT store or gas bar can answer that for sure.  Some CT stores/gas bars in Toronto don't allow the use of gift cards as payment for other gift cards/vouchers, as I've discovered recently:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/PM-Vouchers-Shoppers/m-p/14530...

I think the same thing I would rather be happy with auto pay less hassle without losing service it's a great feature of public mobile

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I am pretty sure PM will not accepted beside PM gift cards, might accepted Telus or Kudoo 

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@SDO8 wrote:

FYI, for those looking to buy PM vouchers, I just wanted bring to your attention that many regular Canadian Tire stores also carry them now, not just Canadian Tire Gas Bars, even though PM's voucher retailer list only indicates CT gas bars.  I've recently discovered them in CT stores in Toronto.  There may be a service fee added to your purchase which may vary depending on location.  Check with your local store. 

They are available at the customer service desk, which will have a ringed booklet including prepaid top-ups from various mobile carriers.  The Public Mobile vouchers are available in denominations of $5, $20, and $40.   Note, these cards pictured are not the actual vouchers, but the cashier's scan cards.

Reverse side:

On their gift card rack (CT now carries gift cards for various retailers), you may also see this card, which you can bring to the customer service desk to get the actual voucher:

@SD08 I think if ..." there may be a service fee added to your purchase which may vary depending on location"... your plan is automatically becoming more expensive. So far I have never paid any extra fee but it could change anytime. I know that PM is looking for any options of payment that can save them money. So I don't know if they could add Interac Online Option like chatr for example, is doing.

Hopefully CT here in the west have them too. Will they accept CT gift card for this or that doesn't change? 

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
That's a great piece of information thx for sharing
Need Help? Let's chat.