cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast does "My Account" update the data usage?

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering how fast does "My Account" page update the data usage? Like is it instant or does it update in regular intervals? 

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Pizzaeh sir, and you're quite welcome.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

Are there alternative apps that you suggest, or logging in to PM and checking there?

Thanks

@Pizzaeh Well, your self-serve account is always going to be the most accurate way to check.  I'm not sure about on iOS, but on Android there is Data Witness PM (play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm ), written and provided free by community member @IWIK.  It doesn't send your usage data anywhere, it does everything on the device.  If you're interested in learning more about it, check out the primer I wrote a while back:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And...

EDIT: and of course, again if you're on Android, you can turn the self-serve site (along with just about any other web site you like) into a mobile app using Hermit Lite.  I made a guide for that, too:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Very-Partial-workaround-for-lack-of-P...

@srlawren, thanks good sir/ma'am.

srlawren

@Pizzaeh wrote:

Are there alternative apps that you suggest, or logging in to PM and checking there?

Thanks

@Pizzaeh Well, your self-serve account is always going to be the most accurate way to check.  I'm not sure about on iOS, but on Android there is Data Witness PM (play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm ), written and provided free by community member @IWIK.  It doesn't send your usage data anywhere, it does everything on the device.  If you're interested in learning more about it, check out the primer I wrote a while back:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And...

EDIT: and of course, again if you're on Android, you can turn the self-serve site (along with just about any other web site you like) into a mobile app using Hermit Lite.  I made a guide for that, too:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Very-Partial-workaround-for-lack-of-P...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Cornelia_D
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey there @wickedgx ,

Excellent question ,thank you!

The data usage that you see on Self Serve is a result of your device communicating and synchronizing with the Public mobile network.

First , have you tried searching the answer in the community ?

Second , we do send data notifications at 75% , 95% and 100% , thus , there is an accurate data usage track . For more information, refer to :   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-data-usage/ta-p/152760?a...

See you on the community!

Cornelia_D

Pizzaeh

@srlawren wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@wickedgx wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering how fast does "My Account" page update the data usage? Like is it instant or does it update in regular intervals? 

Another good app to track data usage is My Data Manager; it's available for both iOS and Android. 

@Pizzaeh  yes.... however, I would recommend you have a read through their privacy policy:  https://www.mydatamanagerapp.com/privacy-policy/.  If you're not spooked after reading that, then by all means please continue to enjoy MDM.  🙂  

Thanks

srlawren

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@wickedgx wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Another good app to track data usage is My Data Manager; it's available for both iOS and Android. 

@Pizzaeh  yes.... however, I would recommend you have a read through their privacy policy:  https://www.mydatamanagerapp.com/privacy-policy/.  If you're not spooked after reading that, then by all means please continue to enjoy MDM.  🙂  

It updates fast, within a few minutes I would say

ruif71

I found my Data usage gets updated very quickly.

I'll test it out and report back.

Pizzaeh

@wickedgx wrote:

Hi Everyone,

JoeFrankRoy

twice per day, give the airplane mode a chance and see if it updates

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@wickedgx wrote:

Hi Everyone,

@wickedgx  your usage history page will lag for data reporitng, by up to 12 hours.  However, your "x / y" data amount showing on the Overview page in your self-serve account is near-real-time, meaning it should be nearly up to date any time you refresh the page.  I'm sure there's a small delay, but it's very close to real-time.

@Anonymous wrote:

Try flipping in and out of Airplane mode.

@Anonymous what would that do?  Are you thinking of it flushing any buffers to make sure things are up to date?  I'm not sure that it works that way.  The network as no idea if your phone is in airplane mode or not, just that there is no radio communicating with it any longer after you flip that switch.  I don't think this is a trigger to update usage total counters....  though I could be wrong.

When I was verifying the 5.293mb thing recently, I found that if I flipped in and out that it would clear all that and set my data correctly. So I'm thinking it's the way.

...though I could be wrong.

srlawren

@wickedgx wrote:

Hi Everyone,

@wickedgx  your usage history page will lag for data reporitng, by up to 12 hours.  However, your "x / y" data amount showing on the Overview page in your self-serve account is near-real-time, meaning it should be nearly up to date any time you refresh the page.  I'm sure there's a small delay, but it's very close to real-time.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous what would that do?  Are you thinking of it flushing any buffers to make sure things are up to date?  I'm not sure that it works that way.  The network as no idea if your phone is in airplane mode or not, just that there is no radio communicating with it any longer after you flip that switch.  I don't think this is a trigger to update usage total counters....  though I could be wrong.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@wickedgx wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I beleive it gets updated once a data session is closed or ended is when it would show in the account

ETA Not able to confirm this  right now

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yeah i've downloaded Dataflow on IOS (let me know if there are any better alternatives). It's just that the app reviews say that it might not be accurate. I was going to compare them. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@wickedgx wrote:

Hi Everyone,

@wickedgx  Do some testing, and let us know your findings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wickedgx wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

I have observed that it's not instantly...you need to wait to see in your account... @wickedgx you can have an app to see it.. 

Need Help? Let's chat.