cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with the Nokia 3310 3G (2017)

seth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently picked up a Nokia 3310 3G (single SIM) at a Target while visiting family in the States. I wasn’t sure at the time if it’d be supported by any wireless phone companies in Canada, but it was too cute to pass up!

Fortunately, Public Mobile DOES support this little guy! The only trouble I had was with setting it up for internet access.

While there are posted solutions in the community for APN configuration, I found that it was confusing because settings didn’t align exactly with what I was seeing on my phone’s screen.

So now that I have mine working I decided to provide tailor-made instructions.

APN Configuration for the Nokia 3310 3G

1. On the menu screen, find and select / click on the Settings icon. It looks like a cog.
  2. Select Connectivity
  3. Select Access points. On this screen you may see two items listed: Telus and Telus MMS. Ignore them, and don’t modify. We’re going to create two new access points.
  4. Click the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) using the button below it on the phone.
  5. Select New Access Point, and set the Name to Public Mobile 2. This one will enable internet access.
  6. Set Access point to sb.mb.com
  7. Set Port to 0
  8. Set Network type to HTTP
  9. Set IP type to IPv4
  10. Leave all other settings set to (empty)
  11. Finally, save this access point by clicking the button below the icon that looks like a floppy disk (remember those?)
  12. Next create another new access point. This one will be for enabling MMS. Name it also Public Mobile 2.
  13. Set Access point to sp.mb.com
  14. Set Gateway to 74.49.0.18
  15. Set Port to 80
  16. Set Set home page to http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
  17. Set DNS address to 0.0.0.0
  18. Set Network type to HTTP 
  19. Set IP type to IPv4
  20. Again leave any other settings not mentioned set to (empty)
  21. Save and now we’re done with access points
  22. Pop back up to the previous menu by clicking the button below the back arrow icon.
  23. Select Network settings, and ensure that Mobile data option is switched on
  24. Pop back up 2 screens to Settings
  25. Then go to System => Messages => MMS => SIM access point
  26. Select / tick access point Public Mobile 2
  27. Power cycle the phone.
  28. And you’re done. Test you MMS and internet connectivity.

Enjoy your Nokia 3310 3G! 

4 REPLIES 4

jessica12
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I followed your instructions and its still not working? Is there a reason its not working like my carrier does not support it? Im with koodo btw. @seth

seth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@vanhby, I ended up deleting the two Telus access points. The selection on the Access Points screen appears only to be for selecting access points to edit or delete. I have noticed, however, that when I lose signal in the subway or otherwise, I receive a "could not connect to the internet" error when I attempt to use the Opera browser, Twitter, or Facebook. In order to restore internet connectivity I either power cycle the phone or enable/disaple airplane mode.

@vanhby..if you want to be sure that he will see your question you can tag him like that... @seth

vanhby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey I was just wondering for the first access point you create do you select that one or leave it on the deafult Telus access point?

Need Help? Let's chat.