cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why only H+ service?

Peterjstock
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

recently I am only seeing H+ service for my mobile data.
the speed seems adequate (3.4MBPS down) but it seems flaky, not the 5G service I see advertised.

peter

10 REPLIES 10

Peterjstock

My phone is a Pixel 4a.

And I just (finally) checked settings and changed from G to LTE (recommended) and it is now showing LTE. 

I'll try that for a while.

But it looks more familiar

Peterjstock

My speed test was reading Mbps.

@Peterjstock wrote:

recently I am only seeing H+ service for my mobile data.
the speed seems adequate (3.4MBPS down) but it seems flaky, not the 5G service I see advertised.

While this could be a network issue or a matter of phone compatibilty matter causing the H+ connections, please also check the speed testing website or app on whether it's reporting MBps or Mbps. They are largely different units of measuremetn with 1MB/s being equal to 8Mb/s.

HI @Peterjstock 

H+ is 3G 

you can change Network type to 4G or 5G and it might give you more reliable network.

Again, speed will be same, just a matter of reliability 

But usually the phone is set to Auto , and it usually would choose 4G for you

The 3G is all about speed. Not network type. Data can be used on 5G, LTE or HSPA. The speed is what changes. You getting 3.4 on a speed plan that is capped at 3 is pretty good.

Peterjstock

but as I said, the speed is adequate when I am not on home wifi. 
it just seems a bit unreliable.

Peterjstock

but checking my base account info I see that I am on a "24gb 3 month at 3G" plan.

What plan are you on? What is the make and model of your phone? Did you check the settings I suggested?

Peterjstock

I just keep paying my bill. nothing else has changed.
and this H+ service is in all different geographic areas - rural and city.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you get a 5G plan? Is your phone 5G compatible? Did you set the phone networks to 5G? Are you in a 5G coverage area? Is your phone set to the 3G HSPA network?

You might also just be in a weak 5G or LTE area and so the phone drops down to HSPA.

Need Help? Let's chat.