cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who is better

cork99
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

lucky mobile vs public mobile both 4.5 40 dollars same as publice no restrictions 

16 REPLIES 16

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I don't think Lucky has zones anymore. 

I'm not leaving PM - I have too many ongoing referral credits. I'm just looking at it from a first time client point of view.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

If your calls will be from a Lucky Zone to a Lucky Zone then Lucky can cost less.

If your calls ate to or from anywhere else then PM will cost less.

PM gives more Rewards (AutoPay, Loyalty, Referral, Community), they're all small but they all add up.

Lucky only gives one-time Referral Bonuses... sometimes. More short-term gain... up to a limit... if you can keep bringing them in.

PM never charges for admin stuff - account activation/suspension/reactivation, address/info change, phone number change, etc - but Lucky does.

Lucky offers Data to keep trickling beyond maximum allocation. PM doesn't.  Maybe a Big Deal for some Data users, although I suspect they'd generally be happier with bigger Data plans (in which case they'd generally be happier paying less on PM).

PM recently gave everyone a chunk of free Data.  Maybe it'll happen again, maybe it'll never happen again. Lucky has never issued comparable gifts. 

PM service/support model sucks when you actually need a problem fixed. Lucky has kiosks and people who can resolve customer problems face to face. 

smp99

Bringing this thread back.

Right now - Sep 2 - If I were a new customer looking at the $25 plans, I would probably be going to Lucky since they have unlimited 128kbps throttled data once your main 1GB data is used up. 

People have reported using the slow speed and can still use Google Maps, stream audio, radio, and of course email and messaging is fine. Video is pretty much not working.  So unlimited data on a $25 prepaid plan, that is a big difference and for most would more than make up the $2 autopay that PM gives. And as crude as it is, Lucky does have a call in centre.

szymon247

To me, the very major advantage that won me over is the option of enabling a full-fledged LTE plan on PM whenever I need it. Plus the roaming packages at PM, which Lucky doesn't have, so I don't have to get a temporary SIM card whenever I travel to the States. Those two things are what ultimately convinced me to move to PM yesterday (although the move was actually sparked by seeing Lucky mobile's ad and researching further, then finding that PM has a response which is better in my book).

Also, Lucky is owned by Bell. Its reputation doesn't seem to be as good as that of Telus, which PM operates under.

Contrary to some of the answers above, Lucky runs on the exact same infrastructure as PM, they also use LTE and cap it to 3G speeds. They both use the combined Telus + Bell infrastructure, so the reception will be the same. The difference is PM also offers plans with unthrottled LTE. I actually moved from Chatr (the third competitor), which actually runs on a more limited 3G infrastructure with no access to LTE whatsoever. You get 3G capped to 3Mbps over there, on a Rogers network, and with zones (Canada-wide plans are not competitive at all in terms of pricing, and not even advertised much).

cork99

lucky mobile a call centre sounds garbage though rude wow 

@cork99 wrote:

lucky mobile vs public mobile both 4.5 40 dollars same as publice no restrictions 

I would say this depends on customer preference on which company to deal with, customer service approach, and Public Mobile's reward system.

Other than those things, the plans are very similar.

@will13am wrote:

There could be biases in this answer.  I would say Public Mobile by a country mile.  No zones vs zones is a major reason for my answer. 

The current Lucky Mobile $40/4.5GB plan has no zones.  It is completely a Canada-wide plan on the entire Bell Mobility network.

I looked at this too.  The plan at Lucky when I looked did say NO ZONE. Other than losing my access to full LTE on my current plan, getting +500 MB data/month, and gaining Canada-Wide calling, I feel I'm better off here at Public Mobile with the current and future rewards I will be receiving.

@cork99 wrote:

lucky does not have no zones  on promo  plus save 5 dollars off for 8 months 

What are you saving right now with your loyalty reward  and autopay.  Not sure if you get community rewards but you must be close to $5 a month that is ongoing not just 8 months

Even if you have Loyalty and autopay only that is $3 a month so the first 8 months you save $16 over Lucky.  3 months later that savings is gone.  So within a year you are already behind and that isn't including any community rewards you may earn.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

David01

As far as I know, other than the $5/mth for 8 months savings, lucky doesn't offer any additional ways to reduce your monthly plan. 

cork99

lucky does not have no zones  on promo  plus save 5 dollars off for 8 months 

smp99

I get that the current Lucky promo you are referring to does not (supposively) have any zones. So for now that arguement cannot be made. 

But is there ANY way you can reduce your $40 bill with Lucky. WIth PM all you have to do is register your credit card - boom $2/month savings. And there are 3 other ways you can reduce your bill.

If later on, you do not like this particular promo, what options does Lucky have - are you now back into the zones? PM has a whole bunch of plans, including build your own and they all work nation wide, and your bill credits still apply. You can switch to any in market plan.

Finally PM does have US roaming.  I don't Lucky offers this.

dna2016

I would say PM is better, and it's not because I'm with PM, just looking at the apple to apple comparables.

1) Lucky is under Bell, and PM is under Telus.  So based on network they pretty much are the same.  So that's a tie I guess.

2) Lucky has zone, provincial, and canada-wide.  PM has provincial and canada-wide.  To me PM is much simpler and straigtht forward.  If you buy a zone plan and don't truly understand it you'll be quite limited, and is even more frustrating when you're in a crucial situation and can't use the service because you're out of your "zone".  So I'd say PM wins on this one.

3) Based on their website, looks like Lucky doesn't offer 4G LTE, only 3G.  PM offers 3G and 4G LTE, so more options at PM if needed.  PM wins again.

4) and most importantly, I don't see any way of reducing your bill with Lucky.  PM has 4 different ways you can reduce your bill, and you can accumulate them all together to possibly reduce your bill to $0. PM wins by a long shot on this one.

Based on the above 4 points, not sure if anyone can truly provide a reason why PM is not better than Lucky Mobile.  Maybe you can make the argument about customer support/service call centre, but that still wouldn't put Lucky Mobile over PM.

David01

Lucky mobile has comparible prices, however these competitive plans are strictly zone based. If you live outside a lucky zone, you have to choose from a out of zone plan, which, except for one promo plan, you have to add data and these plans, in my view, arent that good. Public basically matches, if not exceeds the value lucky offers and doesn't restrict you to staying in a zone. Public also has an awesome rewards program where you can save even more on your already great plan. Very happy customer. Hope this helps. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@cork99 wrote:

Does Lucky Mobile reward you for being a long standing member each year with an additional $1 off per 30 days up to a maximum of 5?  Can you earn community rewards to lower your bill or get $2 off just for setting up an autopayment?  If service is the same look at the bonuses or possibilities of even lowering your monthly price more!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There could be biases in this answer.  I would say Public Mobile by a country mile.  No zones vs zones is a major reason for my answer. 

Need Help? Let's chat.