cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

verification issue

sherri12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Trying to add a program on my phone and when I try to verify my number it says

"It look like this is a virtual phone number (also known as VoIP). Please provide valid non-virtual phone number to continue.

8 REPLIES 8

@sherri12  did you port your number from other Telus service?

250-612 is showing up as Telus number.  Usually if it is a mobile number, it will show up as Telus Mobility.  Showing up Telus usually means it is a landline, or at least non-Mobile.

Again, also check with the company you try to install the app.  Again, they likely just look up the number and make decision based on that , and not based on if the number is currently with a mobile account.  So, a number originally a landline will never pass that simple lookup test

sherri12

Thanks!

@sherri12 

Hmmm, I had the same issue with downloading WhatsApp with a TextNow number but it gave me the option of sending the 2FA code by calling.

It sounds like an app issue.

That originated as a Telus landline. I would talk to the app folks. I don't think this has anything to do with Public.

sherri12

yes

sherri12

no didn't port from landline, 250-612

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sherri12   

curious, do you mind to tell us your area code and the next 3 digits on your phone number?

And did you port your number from a landline?

You can try to reach out those companies trying to send the 2FA, but I think they all use a very simple checking algorithms and just check the origin of the number and decide if it is a "mobile" phone of not.  They don't decide it based on your current provider.     One popular one that have been causing lots of 2FA issue is ChatGPT registration.  Again, it decides "mobile" or not based on the number's origin and they don't update its db even if try to reach out to them  

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@sherri12 

Are you trying to install an app on your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.