cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the call takes longer to go to through

Cypm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi 

I just port my number from wind , my phone number  is 647 , but I am not located in Toronto,  however whatever I make a area call of 416 or 647 phone number it will have a voice say it will have long distance charge before the call go through how to resolve this problem? It just make a call longer to go through 

7 REPLIES 7

Cypm

thank you everyone who try to help here i know that will help however that is lot of work beside it shuold not suppose to dail 1 to every 416 or 647 because my area is 647 too i believe there must be something simpler than this to solve problem if i find out i will let you guys know too thanks again i am still waiting the best solution 

thymaster

I took the tedious road and updated my entire phone book but adding a +1 to all my phone numbers. Even though it's local you still need to add it because for example, I live in a city that have two area codes so it's not sure which is local and which is long distance. Some phones will dial with the 1 automatically and some won't.

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your phone will always warn you that "long distance charges may apply" when you call a long distance number.

Your plan then determines if you will actually be charged for the call. If you have a province wide plan, when you call numbers that are outside the local calling area from which you are calling from - those calls are still considered "long distance" calls - they are just included in your plan (if you are calling to a number in the same province that you are calling from).

When you put a 1 or a +1 in front of the number, you are basically indicating you already know this is a long distance call and are ok with it....

Since public mobile is prepaid - you dont have to worry about getting charged additional fees. Calls not included in your plan simply wont go through. (or wont be received).. but the reason you are getting this "long distance charges might apply" is because that is a basic feature of the telephone system that we all use.

Your plan doesn't determine what calls are considered "long distance"  - it just determines which calls you are able to make without paying long distance charges (in the case of public mobile, purchasing an add on).

EDIT: just thought I would also clarify -

When making call your local calling area is not determined by your phone number. It is determined by where you are physically making the call. so if you are not in GTA area and call 416 or 647, it is considered a "long distance" call even if your own phone number is a 416 or 647 area code number. (again charges will only apply - or an add on will only be required if those calls are not already included in your plan)

When receiving calls - your local calling area is the area corresponding to your phone number. If you are outside this area when you receive a call that call will be considered long distance for you. Again -> if you have a province wide plan, you can receive a call anywhere in the province that contains your phones area code without worrying about long distance charges (or the need to purchase an add on)

Pier
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Cypm,

Welcome to PM as well as the community. To solve that problem, just put 1 in front of the number you wanna call..... 1-416-     Or 1-647. That will solve the problem. 

Yours,

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
I had a similar problem when I switched this morning. My phone required a hard reboot, ie. turning it off and back on again so it restarts.

Cypm

Thanks

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Cypm

You need one of our moderators to help you. @Mary_M They will help you to fix it tomorrow when they at work. Thanks

Need Help? Let's chat.