cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting in Costa Rica

possiblyt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I am travelling to Costa Rica for a family emergency. I leave tomorrow. Is there any way I can maintain texting service while I'm down there? I know you don't have coverage in CR but can I have my texts and calls forwarded to a pay-and-go phone if I buy one in the airport?

I am a little panicked and really hoping there's a solution because I don't have a ton of time before I have to leave.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@possiblyt
Look for kolbi/ICE kiosk near the baggage claim area at SJO airport. They can help you buy and set up a SIM on the kolbi network.

www.kolbi.crP1000029.jpg

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

i would try to test out the sms forwarding before you leave just to make sure you are able to set it up properly.  as i do not know how it works on iphone just android.

possiblyt

Thank you!! I do have my old iPhone, so I'll put the SIM card in before I leave and then buy a data-only SIM card in CR. Thank you again.

possiblyt

Thank you so much. I'm downloading it now.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

for sms if you have android and a spare phone you can also forward sms using an sms forwarding app.   Put your PM sim in teh old phone and set up teh app and forward sms to fongo number or email.  teh old phone must kept on to be able to recieve and send smses.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@possiblyt if you download fongo before you leave from Canada, you can forward your calls to fongo number. 

rob79
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Unfortunatly you won't be able to use your phone in Costa Rica. You can install an app like fongo.com, and get a data-only SIM for use when you arrive in CR.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unfortunately, you will need to get a local service.  The only country where a roaming service is offered is the US.  

Need Help? Let's chat.