cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

talk (voice) in the USA as of this date

bargs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can anyone confirm that one can make/receive a call to/from a USA number or Canadian number with the USA PM add on plan as of this date July 12, 2022? If talk is not guaranteed, I want nothing to do with PM's $20-10day add on. Further, does anyone have direct experience with purchasing US sim cards such are available on Amazon.ca? (mobile used is Samsung A50) Thanks a bunch. bargs

7 REPLIES 7

bargs

Informative and realistic report, thank you. I'll be in the I 5 corridor NorCal and southern Oregon where Verizon takes runaway first place for coverage. And none?? of Canada's networks or MVNO's have made US roaming agreements with Verizon. Politics? Regards, bargs

Tom256

I used my US roaming add-on for 6 days, today is July 13. I can confirm that it is very location dependent. The map that's linked to in the previous reply is fairly accurate. If you're in an area that's shaded in purple, then it will work. Outside of that you wont be able to call or SMS, and you may or may not have data.

For example in large cities like Chicago, incoming and outgoing calls work perfectly well. When you get to the northern parts of Vermont or New Hampshire, you only have LTE data, no voice and no SMS. 

If you're in western Nebraska along the I-80 you have no service at all.

One of the people that I've been travelling with has a Jethro prepaid SIM, the other has a Lyca prepaid SIM. Jethro is a bit better than Public since you do get voice and SMS in areas where Public only gets data. But in areas like Nebraska where Public mobile has no service at all, Jethro also has no service while Lyca has 5 bars and voice / SMS / data work perfectly well with no gaps in coverage.

bargs

ALL comments have been helpful to me, thank you! My decision is to purchase a Jethro Mobile US-Can sim (ul talk, text, 4G data to 2GB, for 30 days). I was going to pull the trigger on the PM $20 plan, but I need 15 days, not 10, and waiting 24 hours between plans without hoop jumping is just too much hassle. Sometime in August, I'll report back if this decision was the right one. bargs.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

the best i use in US to purchasing this

Jethro Mobile [30 Days] USA Prepaid Sim Card with Unlimited Talk & Text, no Data - Nano Micro Standa...

and very cheap and if you want data with talk do search for jethro mobile

LegusY
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Mint Mobile is really good in the US, I used to be with them. Best value carrier like PM in Canada

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bargs   it's really YMMV situation because it depends on the location and if 3G has been decommissioned

However, T-Mobile 2G  (we were told) is still working for PM US Roaming so it could be a life saver

@darlicious  had made a great post about the 3G (and 2G) situation now in US, please check:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

for local SIM card, you might want to get it when you are down there, it is probably cheaper than getting it from Amazon, try Mint Mobile or Tello Mobile.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

No personal experiences and we have been told PM will connect to T~Mobile 2G but haven't heard and first hand knowledge on that

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.