cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching numbers

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So I thought this would be an easy navigation but my "old" iphone is being difficult. Originally I was going to port my landline number over and wait the max 3 days for it to activate, but I'm apprehensive doing it this way. So my question is; I was wondering if I can activate the new sim with a new public number and if this goes well, change the number to my current landline number? Anyone know for sure?

7 REPLIES 7

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LoreckAvery  I'm sure this Community can give some phone advice if you provide some parameters; cost, features, etc. 

metropublic

@LoreckAvery  Landline ports can take 3-10 business days to complete. SO when you setup the port during activation or after be aware you will not be able to receive calls until the port is complete.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LoreckAvery 

Activate a PM plan with a temporary number first.  After everything is working before porting your landline number to PM as it will take up to a week depending on how fast the landline provider to release your number to PM. 

With the temporary number approach, your cellphone and landline are working at the same time before starting porting your number.

As long as the info provided to PM about your landline number, porting is safe.  Don't panic if you port is stuck.  Ask us first.  Read the following info on porting.  

FYI: 

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] page?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is from couple of hours to couple of days.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release your number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider. 

LoreckAvery

the 2nd, an unreliable phone. Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LoreckAvery wrote:

I would completely do it upon activation but I'm worried this old phone is going to crap out and honestly can't take another hiccup during this (nothing to do with public!), and then I won't have a phone for the house at all until I purchase a new phone (which I don't want to do currently)

Are you saying you're concerned about doing the transfer using the browser on your phone? Or that you don't want to rely on an old unreliable phone?

The first you can use a different device.

The second is your decision to make.

So I would suggest you set up your account with a new number and wait. Or wait.

LoreckAvery

I would completely do it upon activation but I'm worried this old phone is going to crap out and honestly can't take another hiccup during this (nothing to do with public!), and then I won't have a phone for the house at all until I purchase a new phone (which I don't want to do currently)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LoreckAvery 

Yes you can do that. You'll need moderator assistance though. But you can do it without them during activation. Your source line will continue to work until the transfer is successful.

Need Help? Let's chat.