cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spam

AT2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up yesterday. I have provided my nukber to no-one, nor yet made any calls. Today I received calls and voicemails from FDR asset recovery – a spam outfit.  How does my number reach these folks? And how do I stop them leaving messages?

8 REPLIES 8

Also keep in mind that blocked and declined calls are normally just directed to your voicemail. If you change your conditional call forwarding setting for "declined" calls to something other than your voicemail, they will just endlessly ring or give a fast busy for the caller, without the option to leave messages to further annoy you. I wrote about this in a previous topic:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

The three conditional forward, and "all calls" call forwarding options can be found in the forwarding settings in the phone app settings menus, or can easily be set manually such as the examples below:

• Dial *67*18080000000# - an invalid USA number - caller will get either endless ringing, or a fast busy if call is declined or blocked.
  • Dial *67*13065458171# - plays message "At the customers request, the number you have dialed is configured for outgoing calls only."

Unanswered calls, and calls while the phone is off the network will continue to go to voicemail as usual.

To reset back to public mobile default voicemail, dial ##67#

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@AT2 , unless you get a number from a newly started area code, it is likely someone else owned the number and they could be the targeted recipient of the phone.  Regardless, you own the number now.  Just use the call blocking feature to prevent calls from that number.  

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@AT2 

It's not spam, previous owner owes money to somebody and the agency is trying to collect. They will call until they realize the owner of the number changed. I had similar situation, I talked to them (different collection agency) and never heard of them again. They have more than one number they will keep calling. You can ignore them, but if you talk to them they will remove your number from the previous owner file (which they keep for years btw) 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@AT2 wrote:

I signed up yesterday. I have provided my nukber to no-one, nor yet made any calls. Today I received calls and voicemails from FDR asset recovery – a spam outfit.  How does my number reach these folks?

@AT2  If you picked a new number during activation then that number probably belonged to another customer(s).

And how do I stop them leaving messages?

Keep blocking them.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@AT2 wrote:

I signed up yesterday. I have provided my nukber to no-one, nor yet made any calls. Today I received calls and voicemails from FDR asset recovery – a spam outfit.  How does my number reach these folks? And how do I stop them leaving messages?

My Public Mobile Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL SCAM/SPAM CALLS IS TO CONTROL THE SITUATION YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

?Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. ?

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone SEE HERE. 

LurganIeUk_0-1587144062600.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@AT2 wrote:

You need to add those numbers to your reject list.

Also add your number to the Canada do not call list. (Does not stop some of the calls)

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@AT2 Probably you got an used phone number. Block these numbers one by one and add your number into Do-Not-Call government list. It should help.

Need Help? Let's chat.