cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

someone else is using my new phone number, has my new number been hacked?

MPL2020
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Someone else is using my new number, friends text me and was asked who they are. 

5 REPLIES 5

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@MPL2020 

I agree with @dust2dust. This sounds like the number you chose was accidently released into the choose number pool by telus. This happens far too often. If you don't choose a new number from within your self serve account's profile page eventually pm will assign you a new phone number once the other customer with "ownership" of the phone number complains to their provider of the number assignment error.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

This happens from time to time unfortunately. If it's a new to you number from here and you haven't had it long then just change it.

Adding - I guess what I'm saying is I don't think this is spoofing. From your descriptions. I think you chose a number that already belonged to someone else.

MPL2020
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @MPL2020   as explained earlier in your other post, nothing you can do, it is not like anyone really have access to your phone.  The Caller id spoofing issue is really CRTC needs to work with carriers

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MPL2020  

did someone called you and said you called them?

No worry, this is called Caller ID spoofing.  It is a common thing

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

You didn't have anything compromised, just those spammers just system to generate fake caller ID to fool people thnking real person call and pickup the call.  We all gone through this

Need Help? Let's chat.