cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signal booster?

zero_gravity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I live in an area that has very poor tower signal. I do not live in a rural area where it doesn't exist, there's actually 3 towers not far from me. The problem is geography. The location in my neighborhood results in unstable connection. It's actually near impossible to place a phone call from within my home. I have to go outside, usually to the back of my property.

This is not a phone problem. Same results with 3 different phones. Even the pizza delivery guy with the remote debit machine has issues....

Any thoughts? Signal booster with a carefully placed antenna was my first thought but I know that by law it must not interfere with anything such as signal for neighbors. Is there a passive system I could use?

7 REPLIES 7

Where in those links does it say Telus roams on Rogers outside of MB?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

@popping are you sure about Telus roaming on Rogers (outside of Manitoba)? I'm aware of the reverse scenario, but never heard of Telus roaming on Rogers.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2015/01/06/canadian-carriers-using-domestic-roaming-agreements-to-fill-in-co...

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1858453-TELUS-launching-extended-coverage-March-13th

@popping are you sure about Telus roaming on Rogers (outside of Manitoba)? I'm aware of the reverse scenario, but never heard of Telus roaming on Rogers.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zero_gravity wrote:

Hello,

I live in an area that has very poor tower signal. I do not live in a rural area where it doesn't exist, there's actually 3 towers not far from me. The problem is geography. The location in my neighborhood results in unstable connection. It's actually near impossible to place a phone call from within my home. I have to go outside, usually to the back of my property.

This is not a phone problem. Same results with 3 different phones. Even the pizza delivery guy with the remote debit machine has issues....

Any thoughts? Signal booster with a carefully placed antenna was my first thought but I know that by law it must not interfere with anything such as signal for neighbors. Is there a passive system I could use?

Are you with PM already?

What is your neighbor using for mobile service?

Big 3 has free roaming agreement called extended coverage. i.e. If Telus network is weak, it will allow Telus subscribers to roaming on Rogers network for free and vice versa.

But PM does not allow free extended coverage.  You may need to move up the service tier ladder.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@zero_gravity wrote:

Hello,

@zero_gravity I live near the tower (literally a few hundred meters away) and have Redmi Note 8. In washroom, I had 1 line for signal. Then, I forced my phone to use only 3g coverage, and the signal's strength increased to 4 lines. You can try to do the same.

AresPalace
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There are such things as cell phone signal boosters. However, before purchasing them I would contact your city and ask if such a thing is allowed in your area. Also make sure the booster isnt interfering with any other things that send signals nearby. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Out of curiosity what is the model of the phone you have? We can see what bands the phone has if they all match PM.

In there interim while you send us the model of your phone take a look at link below and see what towers are near your residence.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Need Help? Let's chat.