cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recycled number

JS_SOS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to obtain a recycle number. I lost my phone and it's been 120 days since last payment on my PM account.  What is the possibility of activating a new sim and selecting the same phone number?

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

JS_SOS

I will try if all else fails

JS_SOS

Great! thanks!

That's EXACTLY where I was going with my earlier Bell comment experience, @Void 

I'm thinking there's a better chance that TELUS could draw upon the number, however, that would mean the OP would have to initiate a service with TELUS, then port the number over here to Public Mobile. 

Void

Thinking out of the box, if PM can't get the number back, and if it is that important, OP could try Telus next. That'll mean he likely need to open an account with Telus, though.

@JS_SOS Also note you can change number 4x for free every 30 day cycle . And you can search through the pool of numbers by refreshing the page in your account profile page . If you end up creating new account anyways because of it came from PM and no one else has it it will come back to PM 

Change # on profile tabs

Handy1_0-1704936130791.jpeg

JS_SOS

Number was assigned by PM... thanks

To be certain @JS_SOS , are you claiming the number was ORIGINALLY assigned by Public Mobile, or was there a chance you moved to Public Mobile from another provider when you first moved services here?

@JS_SOS  YES thank you 🙏 

JS_SOS

thanks ...no worries it's worth a try!

@Handy1 

Some carriers (tiers) may have greater capabilities to draw upon numbers from their available pools than others.   Bell can do this, for instance.  (at least they could for me SEVERAL years ago ...) 

The reason we might offer that piece of advice is in cases where a user is wanting a number which 'belongs' to another carrier, but they are wanting to use that number with a different carrier.

In that case, it's impossible as the different carrier doesn't 'own' that number.

In this case, the OP is suggesting the number was originally assigned by Public Mobile (meaning they did not port it here from elsewhere).   Does that mean there's a greater change, maybe, however I still believe it extremely unlikely.

Do I like your optimism, sure.   Go with it !!!

JS_SOS

I called and the automated message indicated that the number was unavailable. I sent a inquiry through private message   To CS_Agents.

Thanks for everyone's assistance... wait as see for now 

@HALIMACS Well why when people lose number they want back we advise to try with the carrier it came from?? And I did mention about calling it to see if it’s already been given out .  but why even bother to say that if you believe there no chance in getting back ? At end of the day @JS_SOS  we are just customers like you trying to help one another . Sorry if I gave you any sorta false hope . But I offer you exactly what I would do in your shoes . Best of luck 

So... @will13am is likely correct in their assertion, and I'm surprised that @Handy1 would surmise there's a chance to regain the same number.  (EDIT:  but good for Handy1 for sharing some good vibes 😂)

Try calling the number to see what happens - that's your first step in assessing it's current use.

Other than that, if the customer support agents are REALLY able to give you a specific number, that's a game-changer around here.   Please do share that success story, if you would ...

@JS_SOS  You could also start by calling your old number and see if Someone answers . If they do then unfortunately the number is gone . And if not then maybe contact support . 

JS_SOS

It was PM... thanks I'll try the link you provided!

JS_SOS

I need this number... thanks

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JS_SOS , I am not exactly sure what you mean.  If you have let your old account go dormant for this long, the account will have been deactivated and the old number has gone back to the pool for recycled use.  Your chances of getting that number back is probably slim to none.  If you are okay with getting a new number, you can activate a new account and select from a pool of available numbers.  

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@JS_SOS  Could be like searching for a needle in a haystack . Where do the number originate from was it Telus Koodo or PM ?? If it is  there’s  a chance but you would need to ask support or go to carrier the number came from to try and get back if it hasn’t been reassigned to somebody else 

send  a  private message   To CS_Agents

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️Link below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.