cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting # from PC mobile, wait time...

yukochima
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello...

so I did everything it says as follows, activated with new number first, then requesting the port # from PC mobile to the moderator, got the ticket number

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

If you wish to transfer an existing numbering from Koodo Prepaid or PC Mobile, you will need to first complete your activation with a new number, then reach out to our Customer Support Agents here in order to transfer your existing number to Public Mobile.

how long should I wait to follow up with another attempt to do this? so far, no port is happening...

Just would like to know how long I should wait... Can anybody share their experience?

49 REPLIES 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : My Tesla script was a silly example of an irrelevant or errant call handling. I've never called them. Too rich for my blood.

It is a part of being helpful to suggest to those errant callers where they might be able to get help for their errant call. Just...not here.

I could well imagine an upsell opportunity. That's not on the caller and the time taken for calling the wrong place. All optional on the part of the large corporation. In your example questions, the service department would suggest to call the sales and marketing departments. Click.

@Anonymous 

Zero (0) out.  You'll get a CSR.

@Anonymous 

Is that how your call to tesla went? I doubt it. Why don't you call them and ask about upgrading your e-vehicle's batteries to tesla's. If there is a waiting list? Cost? Conversion kit? If no when will they be compatible with your vehicle? Time that phone call and tell me if they are polite and courteous or if they say "Sorry no." Click.

The porting department is not automated other than the normal telus automated voice and chimey theme music. There is usually a short time on hold while you wait for a porting support agent and then you get a helpful agent on the line similar to calling tech support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 : We will continue to disagree with how well a large corporation can handle errant calls.

Thank you for calling Tesla Motors service department.

Uh yeah hey I'd like to set up an appointment to get an oil change on my F-150.

We don't do that with our cars let alone that vehicle sir. Perhaps call your local dealer or service garage. Click.

And besides...isn't that porting number automated? I've never needed to use it but I've called it. Seems automated. Just tried it and got in a loop of entering the phone number. Sigh.

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol the Lucky thing is competitive malice. Hey everybody use this number with Telus to flood them with useless calls like how do I turn on my data or whatever useless time waster.

I agree it's dumb that they'd rather we didn't post it. Whatever.

@Anonymous  this is a post of yours and here you realize the issues it could cause. I know you didn't agree with it then either but you do see it would flood the number with calls that they can't deal with.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@esjliv 

Nope. Unless something is very serious I don't tend to alert anyone with any greater privileges then us common folk. I just let fate intervene......

@darlicious wrote:

@esjliv 

It was made pretty clear to me soon after the February sweep to not post the number publicly. I stuck to that rule until it seemed no one else was and as soon as I posted it publicly I was private messaged that it was pm managements request to only share it privately. 

@darlicious I am familiar with a lot of this history already, but thanks.

This post's solution was edited by an oracle, fine. But edited in a way that it was not obvious what the solution ACTUALLY WAS...until later last night when someone edited it to clarify it, which is good.

Did you private message an oracle on this one to have the porting number removed?

@esjliv 

It was made pretty clear to me soon after the February sweep to not post the number publicly. I stuck to that rule until it seemed no one else was and as soon as I posted it publicly I was private messaged that it was pm managements request to only share it privately. 

Once I put 2+2 together and realized that a similar sweep had happened in late May 2020 and since I had widely shared the original telus porting department phone number (I believe there are 3 remaining posts that were missed in the first sweep.) and noticed a hefty drop in stats overnight that was a mystery to even Tiana at the time ( maybe not?🤔)I have preferred to share it privately.

Last February it was in fact you (@esjliv ) who first noticed a sudden loss of stats and posted wondering if anyone else had noticed a similar change? 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/Numbers-reduced-in-Community-Stats-Feb-2-21...

It was followed up a few days later in a thread by @kb_mv  asking about edited posts....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/Posts-are-being-edited/m-p/650932#M6323

And a couple days after that by @HALIMACS  with pretty clear answers in all 3 threads as to the reasoning behind removing the number from the public forum.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/Mysterious-missing-posts/td-p/652190

About 4 months later @Nezgar  brought it up in the lounge when the number started to be shared publicly again....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/The-Phone-Number-We-Must-Not-Speak-of/m-p/...

Until more recent rumblings of the number being posted publicly....

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous  The number had been removed previously by the CSAs as it was creating too much call volume for non-related porting issues.  If we can continue to allow the number to be posted more and more we will have the same issues again and who knows, they may completely remove that feature available to us here at Public Mobile.   If we remove the number when we see it and provide it privately, that will hopefully reduce the issues to being called to that number for porting only. It's one of those things that prevents bigger damage the way I see it

I believe it was back in February 2021 when this number was removed from the Help Articles, and where it was mentioned to only Private Message this number directly, rather than post in the Community.

I think my issue in this particular post, is, for months many members have been asking for an update or asking for clarity on the 'unwritten rules' of posting this number public or not.

I guess this post updates us, as @ShawnC13 provided above.

Unwritten rules (not found in Help Articles) may need to be reiterated on occasion.

In October, I also got that response to my post 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous  The number had been removed previously by the CSAs as it was creating too much call volume for non-related porting issues.  If we can continue to allow the number to be posted more and more we will have the same issues again and who knows, they may completely remove that feature available to us here at Public Mobile.   If we remove the number when we see it and provide it privately, that will hopefully reduce the issues to being called to that number for porting only. It's one of those things that prevents bigger damage the way I see it

I believe it was back in February 2021 when this number was removed from the Help Articles, and where it was mentioned to only Private Message this number directly, rather than post in the Community.

I think my issue in this particular post, is, for months many members have been asking for an update or asking for clarity on the 'unwritten rules' of posting this number public or not.

I guess this post updates us, as @ShawnC13 provided above.

Unwritten rules (not found in Help Articles) may need to be reiterated on occasion.

Oh, the stresses and high emotions are running rampant lately. 🙃

I am surprised this has not lounged out yet.

Having one account, myself, ported with assistance by calling the Porting Phone Number, I will take no hesitation in calling it for a future porting issue (or will recommend family/friends to do so). And, other potential customers/new activations should have the same right. 

Yes, Oracles are doing their job, as they have been told; but this does not mean it is the best experience for the customer.

Cell phone ports are supposed to take 2-3 hours, not 2-3 days

@Anonymous 

It takes 15 seconds for the CSA to even end the call with "Sorry we couldnt help you today. Thank you for choosing telus. We appreciate your business. Enjoy the rest of your day!" Customers aren't calling @Anonymous 's porting department phone number....they are still calling telus and CSA's have to maintain their composure, politeness and cheery disposition at all times. That means 15 second calls are not the norm.

@Anonymous 

Think about it....how many pm customers are surprised they can't call pm? Koodo has introduced a whole slew of charges for call support. If there is a free of charge phone number customers think they can call for their issue they will.....every call not made by a customer without a porting issue is another customer with a porting issue getting their service on track that much quicker.

Telus recommended my sister switch to koodo then when she had an issue with dropped calls she didn't want to pay to solve her issue nor did she know what to do to get support. She called me. I solved her issue and explained how to make a koodo community account and how to get support and schedule a call back.

Too bad koodo didn't explain that to their new customer with a shiny new Google Pixel 6 and a two year contract at $70/6gb even though the most she needs is 2gb.......how to get customer support. As I have said....koodo employees care more about their paycheque than their customer service.

Don't shoot the messenger.. just write to Jade and ask like our friend  🙂'

[honest, it's a weird rule . problem on PM .. and Oracles just doing their job..]

@Anonymous it obviously became a big enough burden that PM had to remove it from the help articles, started removing it from the forum, and have asked that it only be shared via pm to people with porting issues.    We do not know the workload of the people on the other end of that line.  IF it is only 15 seconds how many of those calls were they getting in a day 20, 50, 200???  There was obviously enough reason for PM to try and have something to follow to limit those calls. What is stupid to you may be making someone else a whole lot of work or wasted time. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous 

Cops still write the ticket even though they never show up in court. It's the way the world turns....or its the bizarre world because I'm agreeing with the Oracle instead having an all out war.

Weasel popcorn sales must be way down!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 : Yeah yeah whatever. Stupid rule. Gonna tell me those call centre agents can't suss out quickly enough that the caller is wanting help with their voicemail and kindly shuffle them off to the relevant community.

Thank you for calling the Telus porting help line how may I help you?

Uh yeah so like my voicemail isn't working.

Ok. There's a community that you can avail yourself of at ...(whatever url for Telus/Koodo/PM)...thank you for calling. Click.

15 seconds. I timed it. Think Telus can't afford that? (Of course the caller might go on at length in introduction and it might not be a voicemail question.)

Yes yes I know my argument is with them not you. Do Oracles need to be so serious with a pointless rule? Like a jay-walking ticket?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 : I understand that. I just equate the action taken to that of cops ever giving jay-walking tickets. It's the law donchaknow. But have you ever heard of someone getting a ticket?

It's a stupid law. This is a stupid rule when the number is everywhere.

@Anonymous, it is unfortunate that you find that  I am too serious in doing things the way PM likes them to be done.  PM has said an appropriate way to help a customer with a porting issue and this number is to provide it through private message.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 : How often do you see cops handing out jay-walking tickets just because?

It's a stupid rule.

Show me the specific directive from a PM'd person that says ok you Oracles are to remove all instances of the porting help number.

You don't need to be so serious.

@HALIMACS : You can edit your own post. You could even put the number back. You can change it to whatever you like. If that's enough for an Oracle to sic Oh Want To on you then they're taking way more influence than they're decently justified to. They're customers. We barely see them here. They get paid a tiny fixed stipend that is barely worth what time they might put in. I think there's way more of them than there should be too. They're taking an inordinate imbalance of the reward pay-outs that has been lowering for everybody else.

But again who am I to say. I'm just li'l' ol' me.

Edit: Here...the company can scrub this too if they so choose. How about this one. Or this one.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

The OP posted excerpts of public mobile's specific instructions to koodo prepaid and pc mobile customers "porting" into pm. Since there has been no update made by pm in regard to this I advised the OP as to pm's preference. 

I asked for confirmation from Jade as this was news to me....and you had not shared your new found info with the community and I had no idea this was possible as to the best of my knowledge koodo prepaid accounts merely needed the phone number to be transferred between accounts since the number does not actually get ported out of the same back end system. PC Mobile accounts have some peculairity due to the fact that telus used to own the postpaid portion of that provider. If such a change has occurred I do prefer to get confirmation from pm.

@walker1 

Perhaps you should keep the "false hope" you create when spamming your referral code to yourself. Be careful what you say or do in the community as many things are against the terms of service and some members with a penchant to push the big red report button can easily get you permanently banned and trust me that is not a fate easily recovered from.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My personal feelings on it are it's not a big deal, getting help is what matters and that number was public knowledge, but the powers that be here don't seem to want it shared so gotta follow those rules, as much as it sucks and seems illogical.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

I find it funny how some people think it's OK to have CSAs jump through loops to swap phone numbers between different PM accounts and carriers to keep rewards, but it's not OK to have that number supplied to get one simple activation and port done without getting a headache over three days.  Go figure. I guess it's only ok to bend / break the rules some times.

darkomega

@HALIMACS though you shouldn't risk getting in trouble tempting fate when you've been told to stop, I mean if the staff here decides to take it to that level of further punishment outside of edits and deletion.

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's a ridiculous rule when the number is everywhere in the wild (and here as you say).

I think it's overbearing of Oracles to remove it from posts. iirc the company did a sweep a while ago and got rid of a bunch of posts. Fine. Their site. But it's still dumb.

Yup @Anonymous 

If they wish to edit the post later, I respect that part of the Oracle role.   Heck, they gotta do something for that reward, eh?   Put em to work.

(EDIT:   strikethrough the above - that was insensitive of me - they work hard)

darkomega

@esjliv wrote:

@darkomega wrote:

My guess is it's a policy they were told to enforce here, probably because of fears of prices going up and the like, i doubt you'll get a transparent answer.

@darkomega  - in case you do not know, this Porting Phone number used to be posted RIGHT in the Public Mobile "Get Help" articles for a period of time, for all to see and use.

It was widely posted on threads. Perhaps, sometimes for NON-porting issues, where I could see this being an issue and bogging down the Telus Porting line.

But STILL, this Porting Number is widely found online, so in times when it is the best answer to a customer trying to get services going, I think they have every right to have it.

I bet anyone could call Telus themselves in a desperate enough situation to be transferred to the right department regardless, if the person was desperate enough, not that I recommend it.

@darkomega wrote:

My guess is it's a policy they were told to enforce here, probably because of fears of prices going up and the like, i doubt you'll get a transparent answer.

@darkomega  - in case you do not know, this Porting Phone number used to be posted RIGHT in the Public Mobile "Get Help" articles for a period of time, for all to see and use.

It was widely posted on threads. Perhaps, sometimes for NON-porting issues, where I could see this being an issue and bogging down the Telus Porting line.

But STILL, this Porting Number is found online, so in times when it is the best answer to a customer trying to get services going, I think they have every right to have it.

@darlicious wrote:

@J_PM 

Can you confirm that the porting department can now complete a port from pc mobile with or without the assistance of a CSA?

@darlicious 

Cause I called and asked them directly if customers moving from PC Mobile or Koodo pre-paid can receive porting assistance through them.

The reply I received was, "Yes"

Why tag Jade?

Need Help? Let's chat.