cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posts are being edited....

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

I just noticed that all of my recent posts that included the phone number to the Telus Port team have been edited and had the number removed even though calling it solved the issue. There is no "Edited by...." and a reason like we see when an Oracle removes personal data. The number was just changed to ****.

I know that PM has removed it from their porting info page but are we not permitted to offer it out to help people? It clearly works in some cases. There has been no indication that we should stop, other than apparently ghost edits to my posts. Anyone else noticing this?

21 REPLIES 21

@kb_mv 

As for the porting team number getting deleted from messages, there's not much Public Mobile can do about as that number is already out there. As @Dunkman has said, Public Mobile states that it's still ok to give the porting team number out, but it should only be using for porting issues.

These fraud department phone numbers being talked about could experience the same fate with Pulic Mobile not wanting those numbers to be circulated around. 

@BearFBI wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

647-788-8261 is another number they can't hide because calling 611 goes there. Strangely, it doesnt' work if you call it directly.

I just called that number and its asking me if a want to claim a "free medical alert system"

@BearFBI Maybe this explains why some people have difficulties with 611 lol.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cavemantoronto wrote:

647-788-8261 is another number they can't hide because calling 611 goes there. Strangely, it doesnt' work if you call it directly.

I just called that number and its asking me if a want to claim a "free medical alert system"

@Dunkman Thanks so much!

That's good information, @Dunkman,  thank you.

As a community user, i think we just want to be ensured we're using the number when and if appropriate.

And it is true, @Korth , I suspect they get MANY calls they shouldn't and it's too bad the calls can't be somehow screened so the customer doesn't waste the time of legitimate porting issues.

@kb_mv @HALIMACS 

According to Public mobile team, the Telus porting number was taken off the help article since google searches was showing the number and the Telus porting team was getting many calls unrelated to porting.  The porting team is unable to help with other issues.

As a community, we can give out the number out to customers with porting issues only.  The number may be edited out later though to prevent unnecessary calls.  

PM has never liked advertising any of their phone numbers online.

Too many people demand a phone number and a real human to reach at PM. Somebody they can talk to right now. To get their urgent problem fixed right now. Waiting up to 48 hours (or more) for support tickets and customer service response to resolve a "simple" issue is ludicrous. Give these angry or frustrated customers a phone number (any phone number for any department) and they'll (mis)use it immediately to ram their urgent problem through the system until "a real human" fixes it.

We all know it's an online-only service model. We all accept that it's an online-only service model. Until we have a problem with it, apparently, and impatiently demand instant progress starts being made towards instant results.

If PM gave a phone number to a particular customer to help resolve a particular problem then they most likely wouldn't want an endless deluge of other customers with other problems calling it. They went for automation (online forum, IVR computer babble, simple Simon chatbot) to move away from labour-intensive live customer support, lol, not to step back towards it.

While I cant recall exactly how it came down now, I believe we were asked to stop routing people to this number awhile back. Maybe not directly but the number may have been on the PM web site and was removed and there was discussion here on the community that somehow led to not posting it? Can anyone recall? Must have been 6 months ago or more?

I bet that number gets inundated with unrelated stuff by people looking for help of all descriptions.

AE_Collector

@HALIMACS wrote:

@cavemantoronto I suspect that's a significant part of the reason for the cleanse.    

@kb_mv is correct - the number is completely wiped from any Get Help articles and from SIMon responses.

It's only a matter of time that it'll be wiped from this thread as well, I suspect.

A little communication from PM would go a long way in ensuring users on the Community are apprised of this such that our attempts to help customers are not thwarted by the subsequent PM editing machine.

@HALIMACS In that vein let's see if tagging the mods will bring forth any response to this thread, @CS_Agent 

@cavemantoronto I suspect that's a significant part of the reason for the cleanse.    

@kb_mv is correct to point this out - the number is also completely wiped from any Get Help articles and from SIMon responses.

It's only a matter of time that it'll be wiped from this thread as well, I suspect.

A little communication from PM would go a long way in ensuring users on the Community are apprised of this such that our attempts to help customers are not thwarted by the subsequent PM editing machine.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

I think they don't want members to think that Public Mobile has a phone number to call for service.

@cavemantoronto @HALIMACS You may well be right. What they should do is post in the Announcements section that the Telus Porting Team (no number) will no longer be available to assist customers via direct access. All requests for porting assistance MUST go through PM.

Of course it would help if we were back down to 2 hours ish response times.

@kb_mv wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

That's a reasonable guess,  @Oracle365 

Searching the search bar for the public mobile number 18554782542 or any of the 580-4001 possibilities by area code still yields results, so I'm guessing they're simply targeting the port number from their system. 

647-788-8261 is another number they can't hide because calling 611 goes there.

@cavemantoronto I don't think it's an effort to wipe all phone numbers. Maybe we will get an Oracle to pipe in here on the issue of us giving out the number to help stuck ports. This is especially relevant now as ticket response times seem insanely long and a call to the port team can in a lot of cases fix the issue in no time.

I think they don't want members to think that Public Mobile has a phone number to call for service.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

Searching the search bar for the public mobile number 18554782542 or any of the 580-4001 possibilities by area code still yields results, so I'm guessing they're simply targeting the port number from their system. 

647-788-8261 is another number they can't hide because calling 611 goes there.

@cavemantoronto I don't think it's an effort to wipe all phone numbers. Maybe we will get an Oracle to pipe in here on the issue of us giving out the number to help stuck ports. This is especially relevant now as ticket response times seem insanely long and a call to the port team can in a lot of cases fix the issue in no time.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

I just noticed that all of my recent posts that included the phone number to the Telus Port team have been edited and had the number removed even though calling it solved the issue. There is no "Edited by...." and a reason like we see when an Oracle removes personal data. The number was just changed to ****.

I know that PM has removed it from their porting info page but are we not permitted to offer it out to help people? It clearly works in some cases. There has been no indication that we should stop, other than apparently ghost edits to my posts. Anyone else noticing this?

It could be Public since they removed the number from the help page.

@cavemantoronto I have no doubt it's PM but they should make note of it in the message that a MOD has edited the post and why.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

It could be Public since they removed the number from the help page.

Oracle365
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

They may be doing a mass "delete" of all/most phone numbers as there seem to be quite a few newbies who don't realize that they shouldn't include their personal information in a Community post. Doing a mass delete would cover their behinds for all the people who are spammed as a result of sharing personal phone numbers. Hmmmm...

Agree, @kb_mv 

I'm guessing it's because Public Mobile themselves are doing the edits and not the oracles.

If Public Mobile is going to do this - - least they could do is post a thread recommending its non-use or send private messages to users posting it to recommend it not be used.

@HALIMACS I have used it a fair bit recently with porting problems. The biggest issue I have with this is the absence of any attribution to who did it and why. If they don't want the number shared, tell us.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Interesting @kb_mv 

Doing a quick search on the community search bar for 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX yields only one result from about 7 hours ago. ( there will be two now that I posted it - wonder how long it takes for these to be cleansed)

It is inconceivable that there would only be one result from searching that phone number -  there should literally be hundreds of results.

I would say your observational skills are good and public mobile is wiping these numbers from their threads.

You raised a good question whether that means public mobile does not want it used/ shared. 

Edited by moderator 

Need Help? Let's chat.