cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

occasional phone use and data in Spain for a month.

Levo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I'm travelling to Spain in a couple of weeks and I am clueless about roaming in Europe (not available on Public Mobile is it?).  Is my best bet to buy any old sim card there (for my old iPhone 6) and get a Spanish number?  

I'll want to call Canada only occasionally and text friends, maybe check voice mail etc.  I might also want to tether my tablet to load maps and such.

What is my best option?

9 REPLIES 9

Levo

It won't (old iphone 6!)  not too expensive anyway.  thanks

@Levo 

if your phone supports eSIM, check travel eSIM, the price is much better

Levo

Thank you. I'll probably do both

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Levo 

Buying a local SIM in Spain is your only SIM option but if you can get WiFi where you are staying. You can use WhatsApp or TextNow for free calling and texting on WiFi.

Kay_88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just buy a sim card with data, then download fongo get a phone #, then you can call back to Canada or send message.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It would. it would provide you with a European phone number as well, that you could provide to family in order to reach you. If you purchase a data  only sim card, it would not have a phone number. It has to be a card offering calling along with data (if you need data). A lot of people don't need the calling now with apps such as skype and whatsapp.

Levo

Okay, looked on Amazon and there are many.  As stated,  I am clueless about this stuff.  I'll have to read a lot more yet.  Would such a sim card allow me to call Canada?

Levo

I'll investigate that. It may be better than buying one in Spain.  Thanks.

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM doesn't offer roaming while in Europe. 

My best advise is to buy a data/calling sim card. Amazon offers a lot at different prices, both calling and data packages.

Need Help? Let's chat.