cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd data usage

moonmack
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the 250MB / month plan and hardly use data except for CarPlay texting and occasional map usage.  I noticed my data usage jumped last night, and when I checked online it said I used 20MB while I was at home, the phone was in my pocket, and I was in wifi range.  I have an iPhone 8 (from Public’s certified preowned).  Any ideas of why this data is being used and how to stop it?  I don’t really want to turn off cellular data when I get home, but I may have to.  It is pretty much in the middle of my billing period, so it’s not the 6MB you start off with when the billing period changes.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@moonmack   PM only upload the data usage around twice a day.  So, the time you see you have used 20Mb is not the really data consumption time.  It just meant you used 20Mb between that timestamp and the previous data entry.  So, the question would be , did you use data as many as 12 hours before the timestamp of that entry?

@moonmack try to use another browser to check.. Install Chome and try 

Also, if you check the data on Usage History page those usage are not live shot, only upload twice a day or so.  However, the data used show on the main page, Dashboard should be fairly up to date

moonmack

Thanks, wifi assist was already off.  Hopefully the low data mode fixes the unexpected data usage.

moonmack

I tried checking using my InPrivate mode on Safari and it showed the same data usage amounts and times, but with a little more total data used.  I know I’ve used more data since yesterday, but there no amounts showing that.maybe the system does have a glitch?

@moonmack and also male sure Wifi Assist is disabled,  that could be a data killer

moonmack

That’s a possible idea (disable cellular data), but I don’t really want to have to remember to turn the data off and on.  I poked around in the cellular data settings and noticed that low data mode was disabled, so I re-enabled it.  I’m pretty sure I did this before, but maybe an iOS update changed the setting?

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@moonmack 

it is just a glitch in the system there is a new design some customer has same issue.

tried use browser from computer,and clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode,or safari on private mode, To Login Page 

or call *611 press 3 and you need your 4 digit PIN and check it out data usage.

How to Control Background App  \\//  How to Turn On/Off Background App

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@moonmack 

Your iPhone is doing updates in the background.

You can go to Settings>Cellular>disable Cellular Data.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Did you leave DATA On by accident?

Did you check your usage on your account page? Clean page, not cached? Download Excel usage and check that one. It is the most accurate usage tracking tool.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@moonmack hi make sure wifi assist is off and if you have data on all the time you couls have lost connection for a short time 

Need Help? Let's chat.