cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not showing as a recurring bill payment for credit card company

buddyguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My credit card company says I cant get receive proper cash back because public mobile is not showing as a recurring bill payment even though it is and its automatically charged every month how can this be fixed?

7 REPLIES 7

@Nezgar wrote:

@buddyguy  The recurring payment "flag" is something controlled by the merchant, and not something customers have any control of. It's probably not classified as recurring since public mobile is considered a pre-paid brand -- Post-paid contract customers with Telus Mobility and Koodo will likely see their payments classified as recurring.

But there is a workaround that will benefit you even better. 🙂 If you really want to make sure that your Public Mobile payments get some form of cashback reward with your credit card, you can purchase payment vouchers at a variety of retailers. For example, the CIBC VISA Dividend Infinite offers 4% cashback on groceries and gas, so if you purchase Public Mobile payment vouchers at say Sobeys, SuperStore, Shell, Husky, etc - then you will achieve the 4% cashback on your credit card.

When cashback is paid out to the customer, that's not always a "free" thing. Someone pays for it.  Some credit card issuers charge the merchant a higher fee to accept some cards, particularly when it's a cashback card.  Just as there are merchant codes to indicate the type of store (example: buying groceries at Walmart will not get you the higher grocery store cashback depnding on how that location codes the location), there would also be a code for the type of payment.  I would not be suprised if Public Mobile is not coding the transaction as recurring simply because of such fees.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@buddyguy  The recurring payment "flag" is something controlled by the merchant, and not something customers have any control of. It's probably not classified as recurring since public mobile is considered a pre-paid brand -- Post-paid contract customers with Telus Mobility and Koodo will likely see their payments classified as recurring.

But there is a workaround that will benefit you even better. 🙂 If you really want to make sure that your Public Mobile payments get some form of cashback reward with your credit card, you can purchase payment vouchers at a variety of retailers. For example, the CIBC VISA Dividend Infinite offers 4% cashback on groceries and gas, so if you purchase Public Mobile payment vouchers at say Sobeys, SuperStore, Shell, Husky, etc - then you will achieve the 4% cashback on your credit card.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

ughhh all semantics to me, sometimes it is like pulling teeth though with credit card companies (or any companies for that matter)

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@buddyguy 

I tend to agree with you that it OUGHT to be treated as a recurring bill payment.

Have a read of this article, it covers recurring bill payments nicely:

Recurring Billing Definition (investopedia.com)

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

This has been this way for years. You're not the first to ask. My understanding, which may be wrong, is that other bills are paid on a set day every month. This service is paid every 30 days. So it doesn't work as a recurring bill. Where I may be wrong is that some bit of memory has seen people argue saying that they have other 30 day services that are known as recurring bills. But maybe I misread too.

Need Help? Let's chat.