cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new/old phone connectivity issues...

78Lauragreen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys,

My old Moto g 2nd gen finally bit the dust, a friend has lent me an old Samsung Rugby and when i check with the public mobile site it says that it is compattable but still having issues with the network kicking my phone off of it and not having any connection toher than wifi at home. It was on telus and is unlocked. When the sim was first put in had no problems with anything, was wondering do i need to register it with my account or is there something else that can be done so that it is not getting booted from the network? (it is my only means of communication with my sons school and is an absolute neccessity to work at all times)

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

78Lauragreen

Yes the phone did sit for a while but was in it's box so no chance of dust. As far as updates go It was set to factory setiings when i got it and did the updates first before adding Sim.

78Lauragreen

Ok, so i just did this today. I will let you know what happens.... Lost connection to network as I was typing.

78Lauragreen

No it is a single Sim.

@78Lauragreen  if it is an older phone that sat around I am wondering if some dust or dirt has gotten in and is on the contacts for the SIM.  This is sounding like a definate hardware issue.  Does the phone need any updates?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Just try our methods first.

@stonechucker  Absolutely! everything helps, as long as it gets the problem solved.

@78Lauragreen  I would just send a private message to the moderator and get this sorted.

Thanks @CaNuCk07, I wasn't sure as it's not a model I've heard of before, but I do know there are phones that have the issue of a finiky sim tray in some dual sim phones.

It was just a suggestion, no harm, no foul 🙂

@stonechucker  Rugby is a single sim phone, so she should be good there.

Raven_Jet
Very nice! Our combined knowledge should help.

@78Lauragreen just on the off chance, is this a dual sim phone?  If it is, you could try the other sim tray.  You may need an adapter to do this, or need to punch out the smaller size from your current sim.

@78Lauragreen  I believe APN settings would only affect your data, calling and text would be a wholy separate issue.

78Lauragreen

Ok, I will try that Later today. Thnx for the help and will keep you updated.

Raven_Jet
The issue is probably the data network you need to setup with the phone. I'm not 100% sure with android phones but check out this.

How to setup android APN:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-setup-data-and-APN-on-my-Andr...

Let us know if that worked.

78Lauragreen

No issues with any calls or texts... Just keeps dropping the network. The phone worked for a full day (yesterday) but this started happening today.

@78Lauragreen  Relating to this question "was wondering do i need to register it with my account or is there something else that can be done so that it is not getting booted from the network?"

there degfinitely is not anything you would need to do resgistering wise to correct this.

If your phone was working first then its probably a technical issue.

Best thing to do, especially if you're in urgent need of your phone, send a private message to one of the moderators with your account info, and they can look into your account.

@Shazia_K

Raven_Jet
Do you have another SIM card to test out the phone. It might be the phone is too old, but if you do have a working Telus SIM or another carrier. You can try to put that SIM card in and see if the same thing happens. Then you know it's the phone. I'm thinking it is the phone but to fully know if you or a friend has another SIM to test would be perfect.

Another thing, other than data... can you make voice calls and text? Receive phone and text? What plan are you on?

78Lauragreen

I have reset numerous times and it will connect then drop it again, at times it even says the network was unavailable.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@78Lauragreen  sorry to hear you are having some issues.  When you check on the PM site it is actually only checking to see if your IMEI is blacklisted as a lost or stolen phone.  If you go to http://willmyphonework.net/ and check your phone there it will give you a better answer as to the bands your phone supports and the network you are on.

ETA.  Can you turn the phone off take the sim out and put it back in.  I wonder if something is in the sim slot that is causing poor contact in there, if it is an older phone and sat around for awhile something could have gotten in there.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.