cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new activation on same credit card / refer a friend / points credits /

kaoru
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

my post is about the following:

"Refer-a-Friend and earn $1 off every 30 days, or $3 off every 90 days. Your friend will also receive a one-time $10 credit when they activate."

hello all ! 

so my housemate will insert a new-purchased public mobile SIM card ( from canadian cell supplies ) into her phone, and will get a new number and will purchase the same pre-paid plan as myself. i pay for my own plan monthly with my credit card; not pre-authorized. 

1) can my housemate use my cc too, as her method of payment ? can she use the same CC for her account on PM ?

2) if she can use my CC to pay for her plan, will the $10 credit be successfully and automatically applied to her plan ? and i will get the 1$ off ?

3) or it is easier if i myself register for a "second PM account" for this other phone ( hers ), since it is the same CC info ? if so, will the  $10 credit still be applied to the new activation ( hers ) ?, and for me, i will see a 1$ off for refer-a-friend ( on my account ) ?

we use my CC for a lot of expenses actually, not only for cell phone plans, so i just want to keep things simple by having the billing go to me. oh yeah she's good for it and is not in debt with me.‌😊‌‌🤑‌ 

8 REPLIES 8

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kaoru 

When pm rolled out the new self serve accounts in July this year to make managing our accounts and service easier actually made many parts of our service harder to manage. One of them being our ability to manage our payments. You can no longer remove your payment card only replace it.

New customers can only activate with a credit card and when doing so agree to be subscribed to "pre-authorized payments". This is a bit of a misnomer as you are not actually giving pm authorization to charge "anything and everything" to your payments card but rather a one time per 30 days ability to charge the amount owing for your plan amount minus any available funds in your account balance. You can still disable/enable autopay/PAP within your account.

You mentioned that instead you login each month and pay manually.....smart as this ensures that you cannot suffer an autopay failure and risk suspension. But do you keep autopay disabled thus forgoing the $2 autopay reward? If you top up manually you are not at risk of  being charged extra as there are no overages, extra billing or fees at pm. Technically you only need autopay enabled at the time of renewal.

So you could top up manually just before renewal and enable autopay. You will earn the $2 autopay reward and go thru renewal then the next day on the first day of your new 30 day cycle log back in and disable autopay until near to the end of your 30 day cycle you log back in to make manual top up payment and enable autopay again.

The $0 gift credit card has been useful with this new twist of only being able to replace the payment card in our self serve accounts. Before July it's been mainly used by many customers to earn the $2 autopay reward while paying with a different method be it pm vouchers, online payments, RTP** or rewards.....in fact I had recently discovered while verifying one of my accounts that is fully covered by rewards that the credit card registered for autopay not only has long since expired but it is also a card I reported stolen in 2019!

**RTP (real time payments) are very similar to what is also known as "instant top ups" where you give your phone # and mobile provider to a retailer (online or B&M) and your payment is instantly added to your account balance. RTP is available at Canadian Tire gas bars, Esso and Mobil stations for a $1 fee. I have also heard that they are available at select SDM, McEwans and No Frills stores back east but have no personal experience with them.

I will private message you with the info you have requested.

kaoru

thank you !!!

kaoru

also, why can't i choose more then one response as "got to solution " ? hmm. sorry about that ! but thank you all !

kaoru

thank you very much for the detailed feedback !!!

1) i don't have autopay or pre-authorized payments set up on my account, so i am surprised to see that my cc would be automatically registered for autopay for the housemate. or am i mis-understanding "autopay" ? 🤓.. i mean, i log in every month and manually process a payment ( is that 'RTP (real time payments' ? ). sure, i can and will access the housemate's account, with another email registered to it, so i can be sure to manually pay for her, monthly, using me cc "saved' on her account. but not pre-authorized for the card to be charged automatically. same as what i do for mine.

2) oh that is so kind to offer me a chance for the $0 credit gift card to replace my card on her account, thank you !! i will PM you. if i ever need it, i can use it. thank you very much ! also, i can't wait to bring into random, unrelated conversation, "a 0$ credit gift card" and enjoy the confusion that will create ! 😁

3) got it, i will stagger the payments for mine and for hers. 

4) she is, in fact, currently at some remote location for work ( without cell phone service 😅 ) and so her SIM card is waiting for her return. so she will have to wait anyway, no rush ! i am glad to know about the promotions !

thank you all !!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kaoru 

Lol...you sound a lot like me helping others without a credit card by using your credit card. All credit cards used to activate are automatically registered for autopay. While you can keep your card on her account and she can either pay you or by voucher to remove your card it can only be done by the account holder contacting customer support to remove it.

While I help my referrals by having Sim cards on hand, activating for them and trying to get them the best deal that I can....and using my card to activate I don't leave my card registered for autopay. Instead immediately after activation I log into their account and replace my card with a $0 credit gift card. My referrals either pay by voucher, RTP (real time payments) or eventually sort out an accepted method of card payment to replace the credit gift card.

If you would like the details of a $0 credit gift card to replace your card on file I have many that I can share one with you...feel free to send me a private message. Otherwise it's best not to renew on the same day with the same plan amount as it may cause an autopay failure but usually 2 plan payments are okay. 3 on the same day will cause an issue. As others have advised separate emails need to be used.

If your housemate isn't in a rush to activate maybe wait until closer to Xmas as I suspect another $25 ($5×5 months) bonus referral credit promo will pop up that will benefit both of you along with the $10 credit for your housemate and the $1 monthly reward for you.

After activation you should immediately see the $1 reward and the last 4 digits of your housemate's phone number appear in your rewards account. You will recieve the Cha-ching text the following day at 2pm eastern from 611. The $10 bonus referral credit will probably show up the next day too but could take up to 72 hours to be credited to their account.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@kaoru 

The answer is yes to your questions but when creating her account, you have to use a different email address…one email/account.

She will also qualify for the More is Merrier promo where she (and you) will get a free one time 3gb of data and 500 long distance calling at selected countries.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@kaoru wrote:

my post is about the following:

"Refer-a-Friend and earn $1 off every 30 days, or $3 off every 90 days. Your friend will also receive a one-time $10 credit when they activate."

hello all ! 

so my housemate will insert a new-purchased public mobile SIM card ( from canadian cell supplies ) into her phone, and will get a new number and will purchase the same pre-paid plan as myself. i pay for my own plan monthly with my credit card; not pre-authorized. 

1) can my housemate use my cc too, as her method of payment ? can she use the same CC for her account on PM ?

Yes

2) if she can use my CC to pay for her plan, will the $10 credit be successfully and automatically applied to her plan ? and i will get the 1$ off ?

Yes, if you are on $ rewards plan

3) or it is easier if i myself register for a "second PM account" for this other phone ( hers ), since it is the same CC info ? if so, will the  $10 credit still be applied to the new activation ( hers ) ?, and for me, i will see a 1$ off for refer-a-friend ( on my account ) ?

Doesn’t matter....only one account per email address though.....and yes for reward and $10. 

we use my CC for a lot of expenses actually, not only for cell phone plans, so i just want to keep things simple by having the billing go to me. oh yeah she's good for it and is not in debt with me.‌😊‌‌🤑‌ 

Need Help? Let's chat.