cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lowdown on US roaming

manebule
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can anyone give me the lowdown on roaming in the US with the shutdown of the 3G network? I've read a number of threads here, but am still scratching my head... I've got a Samsung J3 (2018), SM-J337W. AT&T lists the J3 "Top" SM-J337U as "tested and approved", though may need an update (Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf, https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf [last updated 13 May 2022]). Am I good? Anyone with a J3 have relevant experience? Advice appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8

frankysplace

I use a Textnow sim while in the usa and I am on their free plan on my iPhone 6s using a new textnow sim which is on T-Mobile. The network says HOME. On the free plan you can only make calls and send texts using the Textnow app. I do receive notifications on my phone while on the Mobile Data network. However, all other data functions do not work, except for the Textnow calling and texting app on the free plan. You need to buy a data plan for other internet functions on your phone. Also, to buy a Textnow sim card you need a legitimate U.S. address to send it too. The service does not work in Canada. Also, to keep your number you need to us it or lose it on the free service. For more info just google Textnow free Mobile phone service. Also, with Textnow you can get for free U.S. or Canadian numbers. Yes, if you have the U.S. Sim your textnow Canadian number will work over the Mobile network in the U.S. 

@manebule no worry about the SIM card, it is just another product they try to sell

For TextNow, just go to your app store and download the app.  When you set it up, you can pick a local 10 digits number and that is the number like any regular number you give to your friends.  You receive and send calls and texts on the app with that new 10 digit number.  The app will work as long as you have internet,  WiFi or mobile data 

manebule

Can you point me to directions for how to use TextNow? Everything I'm finding says I need their SIM... If that's the case, it makes as much sense to get a temporary SIM from a bigger telco.

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@MrSpock wrote:

@manebule service is iffy at best personally I would say at this point with the 3g shutdown  no I would go with a local or travel sim 

I agree with you 100% @MrSpock.  There is no way I would risk using PM and US roaming until the VoLTE situation is cleared up.   

@DavidO   As the moment, all Tier 3 providers (PM/Lucky/Chatr) are only using 3G for voice and no VoLTE, that's why the plan is slightly cheaper

VoLTE is definitely coming to PM , but no firm date yet.  

DavidO

Most phones released in the last 5 years support Voice over LTE.  Why does PM need a 3G network?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@manebule   

PM partners with T-Mobile and AT&T for US roaming

AT&T started shutting down of 3G back in Feb

T-Mobile started only on July 1

It is not a hard shutdown, meaning it will shut down slowly.  So, some people can still connect to AT&T or T-Mobile 3G network. 

Why we care 3G? because PM uses 3G for voice.  You don't really have to explicitly pick 3G network to get voice connection.  As long as the 3G network is there, your phone will automatically switch to 3G when a voice calls comes or when you make calls.

So, there is likely bigger chance of success for you to connect to T-Mobile as it only started shutting down 2 weeks ago. More area should still have T-Mobile's 3G network than AT&T's 3G Netwokr

AND, most important thing, T-Mobile still have 2G network, which PM voice can use.  Again, there is no need to pick 2G yourself.  As long as your phone has the supported 2G bands and set to automatic, then it will choose the 2G to connect to voice calls if 3G is not there

BUT still, some area might not have T-Mobile 2G or none of the 3G or you cannot connect to T-Mobile anyway, then your voice won't work

Data is unaffected in all these 3G drama.  PM data can travel on LTE.  So, as long as you can connect to T-Mobile and AT&T, your data roaming will work.

That helps, why?  Because you can download VoIP app like TextNow and you can make calls using the app.  This get you connected to voice call on a different number using the app.  Best workaround in case you cannot make calls on your PM phone number

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@manebule service is iffy at best personally I would say at this point with the 3g shutdown  no I would go with a local or travel sim 

Need Help? Let's chat.