cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is the add on used first?

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sorry for the really obvious question, but I read around and got confused.  

If my plan comes with  250 MB and I add 1G of data as an add on.  Which gets used up first? 

Will the 250MB be used, and when that is gone, it will start using from the 1G pile of data units?

Or will it take from the 1G pile first then when that's gone, use up the plan data?

9 REPLIES 9

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@ichor Keep in mind that with a data-add on present on your account, the normal data usage warning text messages are not sent at the usual 75% and 95% of your base plan data used, or of the add-on's data used, so pay regular attention to your data usage in the self-serve.

@gblackma wrote:

@ichor it you have the converter, use it. It makes it easier to insert and remove it. 

Yeah, probably a good idea.... the adapter I have to do the trick, isn't much, if any, better than using the SIM punch-out extras, so it depends on the adapter you have..... just try the adapter, as @gblackma  says, and if it works well, keep using that.

ichor

Thanks guys.  The one that came with my PM sim worked well.  I'll keep the converter as backup.  

@ichor it you have the adapter, use it. It makes it easier to insert and remove it. 

@ichor wrote:

Next is to test to see if I can return the sim to the old phone as I have to snap it back into the thingy that makes it bigger.  I bought a converter just in case I can't use it with the ...it has a name I forgot like make bigger cut out things... that came with the PM sim.  

You can generally use the extra bits of a SIM punch-out card as an adapter, since that's virtually what an adapter is anyway. Only thing is, with either one of them, you need to make sure you have the SIM nicely in place, and insert it carefully, so that the contacts on the SIM card make a proper connection with the contacts in the phone.

ichor

I gave it a test today by putting my sim in the tablet.  Even with the wi-fi on and not using any data (just calls) I managed to use 0.018MB data.  That's not too bad as I'll be keeping the sim in the old data-less phone most of the time.  

Next is to test to see if I can return the sim to the old phone as I have to snap it back into the thingy that makes it bigger.  I bought a converter just in case I can't use it with the ...it has a name I forgot like make bigger cut out things... that came with the PM sim.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ichor 

Just make sure you're in control of what apps and services are using data. In the background and/or you intentionally using it.

ichor

Thanks so much for a quick answer.

I'm really happy it works that way.

I don't anticipate using more than the 250mb a month, but sometimes we get a windstorm and the land-internet doesn't work so I wanted some backup internet for those times.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ichor  the 250mb plan data gets used up first. The $30 1gig data addon stays on your plan until used up. If this keeps happening to you its best to move up to a higher plan, even the $40 unlimited talk/text and 5 gig data plan (if on autopay), since you will save $5 monthly. If you do this, click change on next renewal date.

Need Help? Let's chat.