cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert sim / emergency

RebeccaCam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New user. Activated sim. Shows sim 1 and sim 2 on screen One say Emergency and the other says insert sim.  I've tried both slots. Do i need two sim cards?

35 REPLIES 35

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@RebeccaCam 

A PM customer needs our assistance. Here is the thread. Do you have a functioning phone collecting dust?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/insert-sim-emergency/td-p/625440/p...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RebeccaCam wrote:

i'm in dartmouth nova scotia

Ok. So now if someone here is in that area and can offer a phone then they could contact you via pm. Look for indicators above the little envelope icon in the upper right.

Best Wishes

RebeccaCam

i'm in dartmouth nova scotia

iainc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm in Edmonton, phone is old, unlocked used it on Public 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RebeccaCam : if you'd be willing to say _roughly_ where you are then probably someone here has an old phone that would work fine here to give you. For starters I'll say I'm in the Okanagan in BC.

@RebeccaCam wrote:

fb is a good idea thank you. I will try that but now i'm worried i'll get an obsolete phone again

Hi @RebeccaCam give fb a try and hope for the best.  there are lots of caring people out there who are willing to help.  Best wishes

@RebeccaCam wrote:

fb is a good idea thank you. I will try that but now i'm worried i'll get an obsolete phone again

On Facebook tell them you want a free unlocked phone. Find out the brand and model and then post it here and we will tell you whether it will work. If the phone works with Telus or Koodo it does not have to be unlocked because PM is owned by Telus.

RebeccaCam

@RebeccaCam wrote:

the phone is for a senior who is a cancer patient that i take care of. he's now out money and i'm out my own money now too..the plan fee and the sim card....live and learn i guess.

Do you have a Facebook account (or ask someone who does)? If you do, join a community group in your area and ask someone if they have an unlocked phone that they would give away for free. Lots of people have a phone they no longer need and is just collecting dust.

Once you have the phone, contact a PM moderator to see if they can provide the service for free under compassionate reasons. PM has helped out people before.

RebeccaCam

the phone is for a senior who is a cancer patient that i take care of. he's now out money and i'm out my own money now too..the plan fee and the sim card....live and learn i guess.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

While it can still be used at Rogers, they are scheduled to start shutting down the only network that your phone is compatible with at the end of the year.

Someone on Wikipedia said they extended the shutdown for a year.

There are a lot of cheap little cell products that would only have used GSM.

@RebeccaCam : You can find cheap cell phones for <$100 at places like Staples or London Drugs (out west) that'll work fine here.

RebeccaCam

thanks for the info

@RebeccaCam wrote:

i'm just cancelling this account and hoping to get my money back for the month i prepaid

Sorry, but there generally are no refunds. You can try, but from Public Mobile's standpoint, they have provided the service. The actual phone that you have is almost unusable in Canada. While it can still be used at Rogers, they are scheduled to start shutting down the only network that your phone is compatible with at the end of the year. You're going to have to purchase a new phone, regardless.

@RebeccaCam wrote:

i'm just cancelling this account and hoping to get my money back for the month i prepaid

Contact a moderator to discuss a refund if possible, but this is all prepaid.

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

RebeccaCam

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RebeccaCam : amazon image: yes I'm sure we all saw that too. No mention of Public Mobile there and they show just GSM...not 3G/WCDMA/UMTS. Some questions/answers also say that it doesn't work.

I should add Chatr. One reference suggests it would work on GSM.

@RebeccaCam I believe a large part of the problem is with a very popular compatibiilty checking website frequencycheck.com.  That website incorrectly states that Public Mobile has a 2g GSM network. They have been notified numerous times that the informaiton is incorrect but they refuse to do anything about it. Unfortunately, many people copy and paste that informaiton. 

RebeccaCam

2020-12-07.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RebeccaCam wrote:

wish i could find the box...working on it

It's just a curiosity for the regulars here. Don't sweat it.

RebeccaCam

wish i could find the box...working on it

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could use it on Rogers or Fido until the end of next year. Your activated SIM and account here could be used in a different phone for the pre-paid term and then remove your payment card and let it expire if you don't want to use this service in any device.

We would all be curious of the labeling on the box you have. Could you post a pic of it?

Edit: @BeachNBeer : PM was never 2G GSM. It was CDMA before Telus bought it and shut that network down.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RebeccaCam  It may have worked on Public Mobile years ago when Public Mobile supported 2g. Only Rogers currently supports 2g until they shut it down before the new year.

RebeccaCam

a neighbour...she bought it for her husband and he died before he could use it. So it was still all in the box. She got it a year ago

@RebeccaCam wrote:

so it's not compatible even though it's pubilc mobile on the box....that's just great

Anything that says Public Mobile on it was likely a sticker placed on it by the supplier or seller. This phone is not compatible.  I would take this up with whoever sold you the phone because if if you purchased it based on such information on the box, the seller is responsible for that.  Where did you get this phone from?

@RebeccaCam wrote:

so it's not compatible even though it's pubilc mobile on the box....that's just great

Public Mobile does sell refurbished phones with a 1 year warranty.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/phone-section#phone-start

RebeccaCam

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RebeccaCam  You cannot use this phone on the Public Mobile Network. Sorry!

Public Mobile utilizes the following frequency bands: 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS) HSPA: 850 MHz and 1900 MHz (UMTS)

@RebeccaCam wrote:

Ok so I called Rogers and they said I need to unlock it with Public Mobile.  So can someone please help me figure out how to unlock it? I can't find the box with the user guide in it

See post above. From @computergeek541 . That phone is not compatible with Public Mobile.

@RebeccaCam wrote:

Ok so I called Rogers and they said I need to unlock it with Public Mobile.  So can someone please help me figure out how to unlock it? I can't find the box with the user guide in it

That phone isn't locked to Rogers. It was sold as unlocked. Please see my previous message. It's not compatible with Public Mobile. It's unable to connect to the type of network that Public Mobile uses.

Need Help? Let's chat.