cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imessage troubles + data usage

feeldog
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello there! 

I just recently switched providers Telus to PM today. Everything was going pretty smoothly until my imessage kept saying "waiting for activation". I tried resetting my phone a few times and even had imessage + facetime off. It's currently off right now and I wonder how long does it usually take to "activate"?

Also, I have my data off 100% of the time since I'm at home using wifi. It said I already used 6.528MB/5GB? Before it was around 1.xxxMB/5GB since I restarted my network on my phone and it got turned on for a second. I'm confused how my data went up when it wasn't even on? Do you guys use any apps or anything to track your data or do you just use the website? 

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

feeldog

@gpixel  thank you so much for providing such a detailed explanation for the data!!

feeldog

@gblackma Thank you so much! It didn't work the itunes way but I kept imessage + facetime off and then updated my phone. It worked!!

@feeldog 

Disable apps auto update
iTunes & App Stores > Turn Off Use Cellular / Mobile Data

Disable background data
Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it Off entirely or by selective Apps

Disable iCloud sync
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Turn Off iCloud Drive

Disable Wifi Assist
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > scroll to bottom > Wi-Fi Assist > turn OFF

Disable data on certain apps
Go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll through and disable applications you don't want to used your Cellular Data

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@feeldog it can take upto 24hr to register.

try removing your phone number and then register it again.

• On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Select your Apple ID and tap Sign Out. Then go to Settings > FaceTime, select your Apple ID and tap Sign Out.
  • If the phone number that you want to remove belongs to an iPhone that you can't access, change your Apple ID password. This removes all phone numbers from your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. Calls or messages for the removed numbers won't appear on those devices anymore. 

Reynolds10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@gblackma If I have my data turned off for messages, I have to be in WIFI in order to send iMessages to other users. If I am not in WIFI, I have to turn on my data for messages in order to send iMessages to other users. Of course, the other user also has to be using data or WIFI for their messages. 

@Reynolds10  just so you know. You can't exceed your data. There are no overages. Once all used up it just stops.

@Dunkman , @Reynolds10  can you message another iPhone that using only Imessage with yours turned off? Thanks. Stay safe. 

Reynolds10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there!

I am currently going through the same thing, as I'm watching my data closely. I am on the $15 plan with the 250MB included when you register for AutoPay. 

I currently track on my iPhone by going to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data.

I just try to make sure I don't exceed 250MB. However, I do notice that PM website has my data a little less than what my iPhone says. Who knows... It is frustrating seeing your data being used up on System Services. If anyone knows of an iPhone app that tracks data well, please share!

Stay safe everyone!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@feeldog 

You will need to turn on data for iMessage/Facetime to work (when you are away from Wifi).  iMessage needs either data or Wifi to work.  

If you don' want to use data for iMessage, you can turn off iMessage and just use regular SMS/MMS messaging.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@feeldog there's a slightly over 5mb buffer that comes on whenever your data is enabled.  Its returned to you over time. Try restarting your phone. Turn it off, wait 30 seconds and restart it. Also to push throuhh change try to  sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

A PM user made an Android app called Data Witness.  The website is generally pretty accurate.  There is a 5 MB amount that gets used trying to connect to data.

Need Help? Let's chat.