cork99
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

when i transferred over say welcome to Koodo  

11 REPLIES 11

cork99

still great service soo far

@cork99 

You have an iPhone? But no issues with your service?

cork99

it switch’s back and forth since 14.7 update today pm to koodo  

Mrfindlay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched over to PM from Koodo, and I got the same message. I think it's just an auto error when things are getting ported over. Everything went over fine though so you don't have anything to worry about! Cheers

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Its funny, don't really think it matters as you are using the same services anyways and everything on your end is working without any issues. Welcome back haha

@Korth wrote:

If the phone originally came (new) from Koodo then they might have preconfigured it to always display "Koodo" instead of allowing it to display the ICCID.CellInfo.CellIdentity.SystemService text encoded on the SIM card. (Apparently there's some kind of "Issuer Identifier Number" registry and database which tracks these things but I know nothing about it.)

I've seen "Public Mobile", "Public Mobile 3G", and "Public Mobile LTE" displayed before. I've also often seen "TELUS" displayed after phone restarts, usually for days at a time. It really doesn't matter what's displayed as long as it works.

I agree with the above.  It saying Telus, Koodo, or something else doesn't necessarily indicate a problem with the Public Mobile service.  Public Mobile SIM cards do provide instructions for a devices to display "Public Mobile" as the network name, but it's possible that the device manufactuer has programmed the phone to not use the information from the SIM card. As you have discovered, a device could possibly show something along the lines of TELUS or 302220.   A Public Mobile SIM card can't be activated on a Koodo Mobile service.  

Since you don't know what Carrier you have in the top banner of your phone....does your phone number match the number when you look it up on your Public Mobile My Account?

cork99

its werid but im ok with it 

If the phone originally came (new) from Koodo then they might have preconfigured it to always display "Koodo" instead of allowing it to display the ICCID.CellInfo.CellIdentity.SystemService text encoded on the SIM card. (Apparently there's some kind of "Issuer Identifier Number" registry and database which tracks these things but I know nothing about it.)

I've seen "Public Mobile", "Public Mobile 3G", and "Public Mobile LTE" displayed before. I've also often seen "TELUS" displayed after phone restarts, usually for days at a time. It really doesn't matter what's displayed as long as it works.

Alternately, it might be displaying the APN Name. You can use whatever text you like when you create a new APN (or edit an existing APN) with Public Mobile's APN settings. And you need to do this to access data (and MMS attachments) through Public Mobile anyhow.

Some devices (particularly Android 8 devices from a few years ago) do not allow users to add/edit APNs - the option is locked and "greyed out". There are a variety of simple workarounds and complex technical fixes for this old problem but none which always work on all devices.

Apparently there used to be problems on some devices with Public Mobile's default display name being too long. And apparently this has been corrected (by Public Mobile or by newer devices).

Transitions between Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobiles are usually unproblematic. Or so most people around here seem to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cknxcmZnln4

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/carrier-name-in-today-screen.293614/https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34714656/how-to-get-carrier-name-from-dual-sim-phone-android

@cork99 

This has been happening lately.....pm is having an identity crisis and sending out welcome to koodo messages instead of public mobile.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

What carrier does it say in the top banner of your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.